Italian Church and Marriage Research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Italian Church and Marriage Research

Post by Castrogovianni »

Dear Genealogy Friends;

I am kindly requesting assistance in how to research for more information on the marriage of my Great Grandparents Francesco and Giovanna from Militello, Catania, Sicily.

I obtained an official certified marriage certificate from Militello for Francesco and Giovanna. They married on June, 16 1907 in Militello in Val di Catania

How do I find out information on what church they were married in, and the Church’s location?

Are there documents that I can request from the Church? If so how do I go about this process?

Here is some information on my Great Grandparents:

My Great Grandfather’s name is:

Francesco Castrogiovanni born in Militello on January 8, 1882.

My Great Grandmother’s name is:

Giovanna Lardizzone born in Militello on April 6, 1881.

They had a son:

Angelo Castrogiovanni born in Militello on June 14, 1910.

Thank You

Additional Family Information…

Francesco’s Father is Caterino Castrogiovanni born in Militello about 1847. I could use more information on Caterino.

Francesco’s Mother is Maria Vicceri born in Militello about 1847. I could use more information on Maria.

Also,

Francesco Castrogiovanni had a brother named Salvatore Castrogiovanni born in Militello on December 19, 1873. He married Vincenza D’Amico in Militello.

Any additional information that you could provide is very much appreciated. I would love to know more about Caterino Castrogiovanni and his wife Maria Vicceri.
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Re: Italian Church and Marriage Research

Post by carmine1917 »

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... prePARTOF=

First go to the Family History Center and check out the ordering of these films. I know from visiting my ancestral town that some towns have so many churches. I lucked out meeting the archivist in my ancestral town, a town the boast of having 100 churches. Many of the films at the FHC do not have Church records they have civil, meaning birth, death, marriage, not baptism or marriage records. I know many people that have sent to Italy to for request for information, many have had luck finding relatives, many have had no success. I for one, would start with looking for descendants and going to your local Family History Center. Good luck!
Castrogovianni
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Castrogovianni »

Thanks Micheles very much for this information. I tried to navigate thru the address you mentioned; and i noticed Militello, catania with available census and civil registration records available. How do i go about researching these records; as i dont see them available online. Thanks
carmine1917
Elite
Elite

Post by carmine1917 »

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

go here and check to see of a Family History Center located close to wherever you live!
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

Hello if I were you I would write to the pastor of the churches of Militello that from my research are only three. These are the addresses:Parrocchia Matrice San Nicolo' Ss. Salvatore
-Via Matrice, Militello in Val di Catania ;

Parrocchia S. Benedetto Abate
-
Via Umberto I, 106a, Militello in Val di Catania ;
Parrocchia Cristo Re
-
Via Purgatorio, 17, Militello in Val di Catania
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
liviomoreno
Master
Master