Very Old Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Very Old Document

Post by sal4 »

I have a very old document from about 1880 and I was told that the reason it is hard to have it translated is because it is written in Old Italian.....Is there such a thing as Old Italian writing?.........Sal4
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Very Old Document

Post by PeterTimber »

I suspect that "old Italian" means the cursive script that was in use at that time. Frankly it was beautiful when handwritten and gave people pause to be creative and artistic at the same time. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

sal4 wrote:I have a very old document from about 1880 and I was told that the reason it is hard to have it translated is because it is written in Old Italian.....Is there such a thing as Old Italian writing?.........Sal4
What part of Italy? Perhaps it is also in a regional dialect?

Is it a civil record or a church record?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

It is a civil record from Piedimonte D'Alfie.........
Looking for surnames Iasalvatore (Salvatore), Tartaglia, Rosetta, Consola, Di Muccio, Castellano, Montanaro, Dipaolo, Costa, Sansone, Giudicianni and Laudato.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Johnny regional dialects were spoken and only written phonetically anecdotally..a word,a phrase but never in toto.

It may also have been written in Latin and the person who conveyed "old Italian "didn't know much from there to his elbow. =Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

sal4 wrote:I have a very old document from about 1880
If you post the document we will translate it for you.

L.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Thank You, that is very kind of you!......Let me try & make a copy, the original is very fragile and it is 3 pages long.......Sal4
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

sal4 wrote:... the original is very fragile and it is 3 pages long.......Sal4
Don't use the scanner: take 1 or plus pictures of it. Start with the first page (usually the most important informations are on it).

L.
sal4
Veteran
Veteran

Post by sal4 »

Okay.....I will use my digital camera and do it that way.....Will you get a better view that way?....Sal4
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

sal4 wrote:Okay.....I will use my digital camera and do it that way.....Will you get a better view that way?....Sal4
No, i was only replaying to this statement:
sal4 wrote:... the original is very fragile
L.