Martora, Grauso matrimoni

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Martora, Grauso matrimoni

Post by Tessa78 »

This is the Allegati for the Marriage (the documents needed for the marriage). It is not the marriage record.

Page 1
Title page with date 1908
Allegati for marriage of
Matteo Martor and Marta Grauso

Page 2
This is a request for the publication of the marriage banns
filed in the comune of Capodine, dated January 15, 1908.
for marriage between
Matteo Martora, farmer, born and residing in SMCV
son of Gennaro, of SMCV and
Giuseppa Caserta, of SMCV.

AND

Marta Grauso, farmer
born and residing in Capodine
daughter of deceased Salvatore who lived in Capodine
and Rosa Martone of Capodine

Request made that publication also be made in SMCV.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Page 3
This is the first publication of the banns in SMCV. Date is hard to read but I may be able to figure it out from 2nd banns. Looks like 19 Feb. 1908.

All the same information is here that is in the request.

Page 4
This seems to be the notation that the banns were also published in SMCV.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Page 5 looks like a duplicate of page 3

Page 6 looks to be a duplicate of page 4

Page 7
Second publication of the banns. Date is 26 January 1908. Then the date of first publication was 19 January 1908, since they were usually published on successive Sundays.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

If the banns were published in Capodine, would that mean that is where the marriage record would be found? I have the date of marriage from annotation on Matteo birth act. Do you know where they got married?

Thank you T.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I have 2 Feb 1908 from the annotation.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Usually they were married in the bride's church. So more than likely the marriage record would be found in Capodine.

On which record did you find the 2 Feb notation?
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi, it is the marriage note of 2 feb 1908(????????) Matteo married at Marta GRAUSO

This is from thread of Matteo Mattora birth act on 30 Jan 2010. You were kind enough to translate it for me. I had since deleted the image from photo bucket.
It looks like the annotation was not transcribed on the birth act for the matrimoni.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Ah, yes.
Remember that the marriage banns were published for two successive Sundays, and for 3 more days (which would bring you to 2 Feb) The notation date may be for the publication of the banns "with no objection," or it might be the date of the marriage as you learned from the Perrotta allegati. Purpose of the publication was to give anyone with an objection to the marriage an opportunity to voice it.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

So, you are saying I may never find the marriage certificate in S.M. records since they were married in Capodine. I guess that makes sense to me. I had assumed the annotation would be made after the matrimoni and the date would reflect the actual marriage date. If I image it again for you, would you be able to determine which date it refers to?

Jim
Jim

oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Does this Allegati register contain the birth act for Marta? I don't know when she was born.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

I know this sounds confusing sometimes.
The Allegato you posted for Martora/Grauso is an "Allegato al registro delle Pubblicazioni di Matrimonio." Register of the Publication.

The Allegato for Perrotta/Tamburrino is an "Allegato al registro dei Matrimonio." Register of the marriage.

Both of these registers were located in SMCV.

Sooooo...Maria's birth record is in the "Allegato al registro dei Matrimonio" in Capodine, which is probably where the marriage took place.

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Wow! You are right. I am confused. Thank you for the insight.

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

I was looking at your allegati again since I like to review at a slower pace. I noticed the Ufficio stamp on page 2. The name of the town is Capodrise, not Capodine. Sorry about the misread. :(

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T.,

I was researching Capodine last night with no success so I looked at the map around S.M. for a similar name and then tried to make it fit where it was written in the documents. I have to admit that figuring out the "dr" combination was the biggest puzzle for me. I finally figured it out. It was good practice for me.

Thank you,

Jim
Jim