Geovanote (Geovanoto) Carniglia from Sestri Levante

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Coldris

Geovanote (Geovanoto) Carniglia from Sestri Levante

Post by Coldris »

This is my G-G-Grandfather, I am having trouble finding his BC, I was wondering if any of you had tips for finding it.
Also if you guys have any tips on attaining Birth Certificates/Marriage Certificates/Death Certificates/Naturalization Certificates from Argentina that would be helpfull too. :D
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Geovanote (Geovanoto) Carniglia from Sestri Levante

Post by PeterTimber »

The name GEOVANOTO is a very unusual firstname for a child in Italy because it is phonetic for Giovanotto (young man) as you know. Since you know his place of origin Sestri Levante what is the problem in not being able to obtain the birth record? They are free of charge, and all you need is a letter in Italian? Please advise

Further you can oobtain records inArgentina but youmust do it in Spanish language and submit applications inspanish paying a fee. Are you familiar with spanish language or know someone there who can assist you? If not there is a commercial outfit in Buenos Aires who can help you.

I can check for passenger arrivals in Argentina if you furnishme with a name and certainly give you and address or telephonenumber for any living relative that might be currently residing there. =Peter=
~Peter~
Coldris

Post by Coldris »

Sorry in advanced for the long post, just like to get as much help as I can and people in this community seems to be very helpful and knowledgeable in this area.

Yes, my Grandfather is still alive and he speaks and writes in fluent spanish. In Argentina my G-G-Grandfather's name was Juan B. Carniglia, he was married to Carmen Carniglia (Gio is her maiden name). My great grandfather's name was Roberto Carniglia (Born in 1906 in Buenos Aires) he was married to Donicia Carniglia (not sure of her maiden name). So what department would I send the letter to in Buenos Aires or could I somehow send them an email to get the Birth/Marriage/Death certificates?

And thank you for any information you can provide. I am trying to get an Italian citizenship through ancestry, which I am certain I am in direct line with my G-G-Grandfather to get it.

He was born in Italy in 1860, migrated to Argentina around 1885. I believe he never became naturalized (think he died with just Italian Citizenship). My Great Grandfather was born in Argentina and never renounced his citizenship.

My grandfather was born in Argentina, and came to the US around 1960 with his father. He never renounced his Italian citizenship.

my father was born in 1966 before my grandfather became a a US citizen and he never renounced his Italian Citizenship.

Then comes me :), I was born in 1990 and never renounced my Italian citizenship.
Michael31
Master
Master

Post by Michael31 »

www.paginebianche.it
cognome: Carniglia dove: Sestri Levanti

http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/
Coldris

Post by Coldris »

Hey quick update, I believe you were right about his first name. I know for a fact that his name in Argentina is Juan B. Carniglia, and I know Juan is the same as Giovanni, but I can not seem to find a Giovanni Carniglia that migrated from Italy to Argentina, and like I said I do not even know if that was his first name. Any help on finding his actual first name would be appreciated.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/rec ... tml#p=home

the 1895 census image for Juan B Carniglia, I believe the first name should have been Giovanni Battista ....

http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVoLi40

please note that his wife Carmen was born in Buenos Aires, were you able to find their marriage certificate?

Laura
Coldris

Post by Coldris »

Well, doing some more research and found a list of people that emigrated in the late 1800's early 1900's.

http://213.212.128.168/radici/script/ra ... =ARG1&ID=0

Lorenzo Carniglia would be very similar in age and in this document he says his occupation is MARINERO.

Now in the 1895 Argentina Census

http://s4.postimage.org/oLi40-9cea25579 ... 7714ae.jpg

Juan B Carniglia is 35, and he marks his occupation as MARINERO.

Now my question is, could there be any possibility that Lorenzo would be called Juan when gets to Argentina.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is no Lorenzo and only one Giovanni aged 17, of the 11 listed as italian immigrant arrivals to Argentina from Italy. The total number of Carniglia surnamed persons at CEMLA (Centro de Estudios Migratorios Latinoamericanos) are 33 but none have first names unfortunately.

If you wish to zero in on Lorenzo's arrival data either send an e-mail base@cemla.com or send them a letter to CEMLA, Avda Independence 20,C1099AAN Buenos Aires Argentina or call them (11)4342-6749
The CEMLA records, however, have no town or Province records of origin in Italy and only starting in 1923 did they record this information, If you end an e-mail rthey will reply with just a surname and NO first name so an e-mail is not recommended.

If he lived in the province of Buenos Aires city the address to send a letter is to REGISTRO PROVINCIAL DE LAS PERSONAS, OFICINA EXPEDICION DE PARTIDAS, CALLE 1 y 60 (CP1900) LA PLATA, PROVINCIA DE BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA

IN CASE YOU WISH TO CHECK FOR THE COST AND HOW TO PAY THE PHONE NUMBER TO CALL IS (11)4373-8441/5. iF YOU LIVE NEAR AN ARGENTINA CONSULATE OR EMBASSY GIVE THEM A CALL FOR ANY LAST MINTUE UP TO DATE INFORMATION. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

PART 2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

To send e-mail request for Lorenzo direct to Registro Civil fill out form and e-mail and submit directly to
http://www.buenosaires.gov.ar/areas/reg ... u_id=12756

=Peter=
~Peter~