Where do I go to find information?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
corin

Where do I go to find information?

Post by corin »

Hi my grandmothers name was Josephine scalia her maiden name was Distefano, her birthdate was Nov. 24, 1895. I think her legal first name in Italy was Giuseppina. She had four sisters I think who stayed back in Italy. How do find information on them? Also how do I go about finding my cousins in Sicily, Franca, Enrica, Michael Scalia?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Where do I go to find information?

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

We will help you begin your search, and also provide some direction for you to do your own research...a very rewarding experience.

Some additional info would help us...when did she arrive in USA? Where did she live in USA? Husband's first name?

T.
corin

Post by corin »

I thank you for help. My grandfathers name was Francisco (frank) Scalia no middle name. Born about 1886, in Farva italy. My Nana Josephine came here about 1913, They lived in New Haven at first and then made their home in Enfield CT. I hope this helps.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html will set you up for mailing italian language form letters to the Ufficio di Stato Civile. Requesting documents is normally free of charge.

Since there is no Farva listed as a comune I suspect it might be Castelnuovo di Farfa 002031 located at www.tuttitalia.it/lazio/70-castelnuovo-di-farfa

I could be in error as there are other comunes with somewhat similar names. Please advise which is the correct if the above town of origin for your family is in error. =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

corin,

I have located a manifest for Giuseppina DiStefano. Could this be your grandmother's family?

SS. Cretic, arriving Boston, 9 September 1912
Concetta Bruno, 34, from Palermo, to join husband Giacomo DiStefano in Boston, MA
Children:
Giuseppe DiStefano 13
Giuseppina DiStefano 11
Rosa 3
Salvatore 2

There are naturalization notations for Giuseppina and Rosa.

If you think this is the right manifest, I'll post it here for you.

You can write to the comune as Peter said. The resources on "angelfire" are extensive. Do you know the town/city of Josephine/Giuseppina's birth? The manifest just lists Palermo.

Do you have the Census, WWI and WWII registrations for Francesco Scalia? His place of birth is spelled Favara.

T.
corin

Post by corin »

No I don't think that is her family. My aunt thinks my Nana's father name was Peppino and her mother was Anna, but myaunt is not to sure. I know she had a sister named Maria and a sister maybe Leela, one might be Calogera, but I am not sure about the other one. I know one sister Maria married my grandfather Franks brother his name was Galogero or it could be spelled with a C. They were here in Enfield CT. Two brothers married the Distefano's sisters. Thank you, I will keep trying. Do you know how I can find my cousins? I don't speak Italian so it is hard for me to find them and I am not sure where to look, but I do know they are in Sicily.
JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello,

On ancestry.com, I found the 1930 CT Census of the Scalia family...looks like he came over in 1910 and Josephine in 1913. There is definitely quite a bit on ancestry.com which will get you started.

Also, the Mormon Church does have microfilm records from the town of Favara:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... eno=144519

There are Family History Centers in Bloomfield, Southington and Manchester (basically the local Church of Latter Day Saints):

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

You order the microfilms there and then view them at the readers there once they come in from Salt Lake. Let me know if you need help with how they work...good luck!!!

Ciao,
Joe
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

There are 4 Scalias listed in the phonebook in Favara.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... avara&ind=

If you use the link Peter gave you to write a letter in Italian, you could make contact with them by mail. You could also include your letter in English. If you receive a reply in Italian, post it here and someone will translate for you.

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The website for FAVARA is now www.tuttitalia.it/sicilia/72-favara and the address is under MUNICIPIO for documents. Wait is anywhere from -34 weeks to 6-8 weeks usually but free of charge. Just include a self addressed envelope.

By the way there is a cinema short about Favara in the tourist part of the website. =Peter=
~Peter~
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here are the WWI and WWII registration cards for Francesco.

JoeVenezia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by JoeVenezia »

Hello,

On ancestry.com, I found the 1930 CT Census of the Scalia family...looks like he came over in 1910 and Josephine in 1913. There is definitely quite a bit on ancestry.com which will get you started.

Also, the Mormon Church does have microfilm records from the town of Favara:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... eno=144519

There are Family History Centers in Bloomfield, Southington and Manchester (basically the local Church of Latter Day Saints):

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... et_fhc.asp

You order the microfilms there and then view them at the readers there once they come in from Salt Lake. Let me know if you need help with how they work...good luck!!!

Ciao,
Joe
Surnames: Venezia (Atripalda), Ciotti (Roccagorga), Di Giacomo (Polla), Tassi (Ceccano)
corin

Post by corin »

Thank you for the information. This will help me get started. The 1930 census on Ancestory is my nephew and sister inlaw who put up that information. But we are looking for information on my Nana's side. So the information that you gave us will help us.
Thank you very much for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

A 1919 manifest has the arrival of Calogero Scalia, 61, from Favara; and his wife Maria Gallo, 56, going to son Carmelo in Connecticut.

A 1920 Census lists in Enfield, Connecticut, the family of "Charles" Scalia, 28, his wife Lilly (Leela?), children...and parents - "Charles" Scalia, 61, and his wife Mary A, 56. They immigrated in 1919.

Any connection?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Do you know the comune of your grandmother's birth? Is it Favara like your grandfather? If it is Favara, there are 14 listings in the Italian phone book for DiStefano.

http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... avara&ind=

T.
corin

Post by corin »

Thank you soo much, I found my cousin Enrica from the web address phone book. I am very excited. Thank you again.