DiValerio/Rainiero(Raneri/Valentino Family History

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Chiarine

DiValerio/Rainiero(Raneri/Valentino Family History

Post by Chiarine »

In search of information on my gg grandmother Lucia Raneri Valentino b 3/17/1868 in Scoutrone, Italy. She married Giovanni Valentino in Italy date and place unknown. They had 2 children Chiarina b 2/23/1893 in Aldefena d 12/8/1980 in California and Gelardo (Jerry) b abt 1890 death 3/11/1955. Lucia came to America on April 21 1907 (port of departure was Naples ship name Neckar) with only her daughter Chiarina. (Gelardo came to America in 1905) They settled in Chicago IL. Lucia died 10/4/1938. On her death certificate it list her father as Vincenzo Rainerio and mother unknown. Would like to be able to get her birth, marriage, childrens birth and so on. If anyone can help with information on how to obtain this information or at least a starting point in Scoutrone it would be greatly appreicated. Thank you
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: DiValerio/Rainiero(Raneri/Valentino Family History

Post by wldspirit »

Where did you locate the spelling of the town name? I found SCONTRONE, but did not locate the spelling as you had written it.....

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
Chiarine

Post by Chiarine »

Thats the way it was written on her death certificate. Looking at the map of Italy it more then likely is Scontrone. Sorry about the mis spelling.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The surnames Ranieri and Valentini are both common in Scontrone. Alfedena is less than 2 miles away. I suspect that Scontrone may be the town of origin here.

The civil records for that town have been filmed by the LDS, but only from 1809-1865. Thus, the birth and marriage records for Lucia Ranieri will not be among the filmed records. You will have to write to the Ufficio dello Stato Civile in Scontrone to get a copy of Lucia's birth and/or marriage record. The e-mail address for the comune is comunescontrone@virgilio.it. You might want to try that first. I visited Scontrone in 2006 and at that time the Ufficio was Giuseppina di Domenico, who was very helpful. She even provided me with copies of the records I needed at no cost. Once you get into the period 1809-1865, the films are complete and legible. Even the processetti is relatively complete.

Scontrone is very small (pop. 600) and situated high in the Abruzzo mountains. There is a wonderful website for the town here: Scontrone.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

The civil records for Alfedena have also been filmed by the LDS, once again only from 1809-1865.
John Armellino
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

There is a picture of Scontrone in the Photo Gallery. Just type in Scontrone in the search engine for the Gallery.
John Armellino
G Valentino

Post by G Valentino »

I know this is an old thread, but I am pretty sure the Gelardo you mentioned that moved to Chicago, IL is my grandfather. He is from Scontrone and came to America/died about the time mentioned in the thread.

I thought it might be worth mentioning.