Petition for Naturalization Records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rachie

Petition for Naturalization Records

Post by rachie »

I am trying to find naturalization records for my great grandpa. I am looking for the date that he actually became a citizen. I was able to find my great-great grandpa but nothing on Calcedonia (the spelling varies) Bonafede. He came over July 12th, 1912 and lived in Chicago. I was able to get the 1930 census and ship records but nothing on naturalization. Any direction or help would be greatly appreciated!
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Petition for Naturalization Records

Post by PeterTimber »

The ship manifest sometimes will bear the date and file # of his naturalization certificate or file. Please funrish his date of arrival and his name as well.

You might wish to check the www.footnote.com website which specializes in Naturalization records. It is a paying website but will furnish a name check free of charge. =Peter=
~Peter~
rachie

Post by rachie »

Sorry wrong date. The ship information states:

Calcedonio Bonafede May 16, 1900 Naples

The link is:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0005

But it will not open for me right now.
rachie

Post by rachie »

I also had no luck with footnote.com
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The manifest is on Ancestry. There are no notations on it.

[edit]

However, as noted recently in another thread, notations did not begin appearing on manifests until about 1911. Therefore, the lack of notation may indicate either that he did not naturalize, or that he did so prior to 1911.

If he did so prior to 1906, things get really difficult, as not even the USCIS has records of those naturalizations.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rachie

Post by rachie »

Sorry, the correct ship manifest is under : Colodonio Buanafede Lide Jul 12, 1912
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I can't find anything with that name at Ancestry . com or at ellisisland.org.

1912? The manifest I found at ancestry . com was for 1900; line 5 in the image below. Birthdate about 1873.

[image removed to save space - johnny]
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
rachie

Post by rachie »

I found it on ellisisland.org:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... F&fromEI=1

I believe this would be correct since it lists that he is going to the father in law in Chicago. The name and address of the father in law is correct.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Okay.

First, as you can see, there are no numerical notations next to the name as there are for the person a few lines above. This is a good indication that he did not naturalize. It is not a certainty, but a good indication.

Second, the "Lide" I think refers to uncertainty as to the spelling of the name. Buonafede, or possibly, Buonalide.
Carmine

rachie

Post by rachie »

Is there a way to research and find out if he did it later? I know on the 1930 census it said NA but who knows how accurate that is. Thanks for your help!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

These manifests were constantly referred to over the years and annotated whenever a "Certificate of Arrival" was required for a Declaration of Intent - the first step in the naturalization procedure.

As you can see for the name above, that person's Certificate of Arrival was notated in August, 1942. Lower down on the manifest, there is another dated 1935.

Yes, it is possible that your ancestor naturalized even though there are no notations on the manifest, but it is, I believe, much less likely. The big problem is the multiple spellings of his name which makes searching difficult...

Do you have an exact date and place of birth? If so, your best option may be to request an "Index Search" from the USCIS, here: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/ ... 18190aRCRD

One thing I should point out: if he made more than one trip to the US - as many immigrants (including my own grandfather) did - then normally only the last manifest would have the Certificate of Arrival notation. You may want to see if you can find a later manifest.
Carmine

rachie

Post by rachie »

One more question then, for my grandma's side, her dads manifest is:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2816010646&

But on the 1920 census it states that he naturalized in the late 1800's I believe??