non italian search

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Re: non italian search

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Its OK David. I have probably as much documents as I can get on him.Plus I found out a lot about him from my grandma, his daughter. We are very close.

The 1910 census really isnt that big of a deal. I just wanted it to complete my collection :)

What I really wanted to find was a ship manifest. Ill keep trying. Thanks for your help.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Rudolph Hosner's 1900 census puts him in Pennsylvania, Luzerne County, town of Marcy, District 87.

In a case such as this, my first choice is always to search through the pages of the missing census for the same address in the hope that the family did not move in the ensuing years.

However, Marcy is not listed among the available towns for the 1910 Pennsylvania census, nor for the 1920 census. This leads me to believe that Marcy was combined into another town for census purposes.

Alicia, where was Rudolph and family in 1920? Do you have the census details (State, County, Town, Enumeration Discrict)?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

The town Marcy was eventually changed to Duryea. Thats probably why you cant find it. In 1920 they were in the town of Duryea, County of Luzerne in Pennsylvania. The enumeration district was 31. By 1920 he was married to my great grandmother Christina. So in 1910 Im thinking he might have still been with his family. His mother is Elizabeth and father Andrew. Elizabeth was a widow though and Im not sure if Andrew died in Austria or in Pennsylvania.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I realize this may not be him, but the coincidences are appealing.

PS: I sent you a PM on another subject.

Name: Rudolph Hoaner
[Rudolph Hosner]
Age in 1910: 19
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Birthplace: Austria
Relation to Head of House: Son
Father's Birth Place: Austria
Mother's Name: Julia
Mother's Birth Place: Austria
Home in 1910: Duryea Ward 4, Luzerne, Pennsylvania
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1890
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Julia Hoaner 52
Rudolph Hoaner 19
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I just sent you a PM.

Ive seen this and Im thinking it has to be him! Duryea is so small and the chances of another Rudolph Hosner are slim. This must be an aunt or something. I confirmed is sister was married already. I have to check on his brother. Im thinking the father and mother were dead, the sister married and possibly the brother and he lived with a relative since he was the only one left and single.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Elizabeth was already widowed in 1900? I wonder if she re-married before the 1910 census, because I don't see Elizabeth in 1910 either.

If Rudolph was still a minor at the time of the marriage (or even if he wasn't), he may have have been listed on the 1910 census under his step-father's name. He would have been 24 though...

Where was Rudolph in 1920? When did he marry (the 1930 census has an "Age at first marriage" column))
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

My german history is very shady. Nobody knows anything and they've almost obliterated the past.On birth certificates, death and social apps they put surnames and maiden names unknown! My grandmother was born from 2 Austrian parents and knows absolutely nothing about her german roots.They didnt teach her one word of german and didnt even tell her, her grandparents name on the maternal and paternal side! It was all a secret.

Not only in 1900 was Elizabeth supposedly widowed but it says she had 13 kids but only 3 living! I never found her husband Andrew. Its my opinion that she lost a husband and 10 children in Austria and then came to America with 2 kids, Andrew and Rudolph. The sister was supposedly born in pennsylvania. Elizabeth was born around 1861 so she might have been dead by 1910. That would explain why Rudolph might have lived with this other relative Julia.

In 1920 Rudolph was married already and living in Duryea. Let me check the 1930 census for age of marriage

Alicia
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Rudolph married at 28 years old so that would be 1912 and I actually found Duryea phone directory on Ancestry. It says in the 1894 directory that Elizabeth was a widow of Andrew Hosner. So its, true she was widowed by 1900 and Andrew didnt die in Austria but came here and died by 1894.

Alicia
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I notice that Julia is also listed as a widow (in 1910). Perhaps she was the wife of Andrew's brother and Rudolph wnet to live with her after his own mother died?

A lot of assumptions, I know. Of course, there would still be the problem with his age - five years difference between the 1900 census and the possible 1910 census...
Carmine

DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Im not sure who Julia is but I think its him. Its just such a tiny town there cant be many Rudolph's. Yes the year of birth is off but what census is ever right, lol!

Where would I look for a ship manifest for around 1884? I checked Castle Garden but there is no Hosner listed that would match? Maybe a different port?

Alicia
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Dear Alicia,
I had a similar problem regarding German emigration, put it on the German Genealogy link, and never had a hit. I mentioned my frustration on this forum, and Carmine led me to Rootschat.com. The results were successful and they entertain a considerable amount of traffic like this forum.
You may wish to try it. It worked for me. Carmine bailed me out again.

Good Luck,

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I will try that. Carmine is my buddy here and has saved me several times too :)

The problem with German ancestry, especially my Austrian roots, is the Austria-Hungary empire. It was enormous and towns and borders were moved all over the place as parts of the empire became new countries. Another issue is that region has been bombed over and over again so it might be difficult finding documentation that wasnt destroyed

Alicia
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I understand what you mean. I noted the "country of origin" kept changing on the various census reports I found for my wife's family. The emigartion I had been searching for was around 1850 and I lucked out. Their posters were very helpful to me.

Good Luck on your search.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Well for instance...my family is possible from Fuenfkirchen, Austria. But currently today Fuenfkirchen is a town in present day Hungary, not Austria. It was Austria THEN. So if I ever wanted to visit my family's Austrian roots I would technically have to go to Hungary.

Alicia