Translation of marriage record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of marriage record

Post by elecar »

I have a marriage record for Joseph Boscarino and Philapae Basile which shows:
Joseph Boscarino vidium( I think this is how it is spelled) Maria Collura
I am interpreting this to read: widower of Maria Collura, am I wrong interpreting this way?
This record was from the Family Search pilot program Monreale Diocese Campofiorito Matrimony 1770-1861 Image 142of 152.
Could someone log on to the Family Search site and look at this. I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks. I am new on this site and am not sure about how to go about getting help.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Translation of marriage record

Post by maestra36 »

My Latin is really rusty, but the word viduus is widower and vidua is widow. The word in the document is viduum, so I do believe that he had been previously married to Maria Collura and that she had predeceased him.
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

Thank you so much. I suspected this was the case.

I have other records I need help on if you or anyone else can help me figure this out I appreciate it.

Happy Easter.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Just let us know what you need and either I, or someone else on this forum, will do their best to help you. Happy Easter to you too.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Viduum means the same thing widow or widower depending upon the grammatical function of the word. =Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Male (singular)
Nominativo viduus
Genitivo vidui
Dativo viduo
Accusativo viduum
Vocativo vidue
Ablativo viduo

Female (singular)
Nominativo vidua
Genitivo viduae
Dativo viduae
Accusativo viduam
Vocativo vidua
Ablativo vidua

edited to correct letters not identified from the sistem (see here: http://66.71.182.1/declinazione.php?lem ... rola=vidua )
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

LUCAP my wife had told me it was in the accusative but I didn't want to invoke what so few people know today. (fuori di lei!) =Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:LUCAP my wife had told me it was in the accusative but I didn't want to invoke what so few people know today. (fuori di lei!) =Peter=
Yes, but it is useful to understand that "viduum" can be referred only to a male.
L.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Lucap
I thought about posting a list of the Latin cases, as you have above, but I figured that really would not shed light on the meaning of the word viduum. It's been umpteen years since I studied Latin and never thought that I would have use for it all these years later. Thanks for clarifying that the word viduum, as it appears in the document, is only used to refer to a male.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I tried to avoid complexity. I avoided decletion of nouns in Latin. The accusative in a masculine declention ends in UM. =Peter=
~Peter~
elecar
Rookie
Rookie

Post by elecar »

To all of you thank you for responding. I will be back with more questions after Easter.