What do you think about this?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cubsy2
Rookie
Rookie

What do you think about this?

Post by cubsy2 »

Last week, on my first trip to FHL, i was excited to find my great-grandfather's atto di nascita....

well i took a look at it again...and now i am not 100% sure it was him....

I have only one record at the present time that lists his birthday as 15 Nov 1873.....

The record i found on microfilm was for 15 Dec 1873....

Do you think it's possible he didn't know his own birthday for the record i have? would it be common for something like this to happen?

I found a couple other listings with the same name, but not in the same year.....so i guess i will have to do more research.....i have ordered the marriage records film, and am waiting on a death cerificate as well....so hopefully that will help....
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: What do you think about this?

Post by VaDeb »

There are two dates on the records. The date the record was made and the date of birth. Are you looking at the correct date?

If you are looking at the correct date, it might or might not be the correct record. Depends on how common the name was in that comune Is there a margin note with the name of his spouse and marriage date? Can you start at a more recent date and work backwards? It depends on what you know about your ancestor to confirm it is correct.

Debbie
cubsy2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cubsy2 »

There were no margin notes, unfortunately. This record is in all in long hand (not the one that you fill in the blanks)....so it's kinda hard to read....

i guess i will have to take another look at it...

Thanks for your assistance....

cubsy/Lisa
Researching: Guarino, Di Prisco, Zizza, Panichella, Magno,and now Antonelli, and Calvo....with a few others sprinkled in. Towns: Mirabella Eclano and Bonito (so far).
ursulamezza
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ursulamezza »

Hopefully you'll manage to verify his date of birth by other records, but just to let you know that it seems to be quite common for people from that era (and after) not to be 100% sure of their birthdays. I have several examples in my own family from the late 1890s/early 1900s where people weren't sure of their birth date, month and in one case, year!
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

Hi, just a thought. Does the record have his parents names? If so, what is his eldest son's first name? And his eldest daughter? Are they the same as the parents listed on the record? It was a common practice at the time to name your eldest son and daughter after your parents.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Squigy wrote:It was a common practice at the time to name your eldest son and daughter after your parents.
To clarify, first son was named after the child's paternal grandfather; first daughter after her maternal grandmother.

Correct?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
Squigy wrote:It was a common practice at the time to name your eldest son and daughter after your parents.
To clarify, first son was named after the child's paternal grandfather; first daughter after her maternal grandmother.

Correct?
Yes, correct. The same with the second son/daughter being named after the wife's father/mother. Although I believe my great great grandmother named her son, Frank (second eldest) after her mother, Francesca.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
cubsy2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cubsy2 »

his father's name is listed as Luigi....which is his first born son's name.....(which was his second child)

but his mother's name was listed as Carlotta...His first child was a girl named Maria Concetta....

2 more confusing facts!

thanks!
Researching: Guarino, Di Prisco, Zizza, Panichella, Magno,and now Antonelli, and Calvo....with a few others sprinkled in. Towns: Mirabella Eclano and Bonito (so far).
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

johnnyonthespot wrote:

Correct?
The first son and first daughter are both named after the PATERNAL grandparents first, then if there is another son and another daughter they use the MATERNAL. That is the pattern followed in my family time and time again.

Alicia