Miresse Family of Monte Falcone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
smaress

Miresse Family of Monte Falcone

Post by smaress »

I am a descendent of Antonio Miresse born in Monte Falcone in 1875. Antonio and his wife Mariantonia Zeppa came to the United States in 1904. I would like to know where I can make an inquiry to get their birth and marriage certificates. Also from information provided to me years ago from their oldest daughter, there are still Miresse family in Monte Falcone. Also would be interested in finding some of my Zeppa, Ciarmoli, DeMichele relatives in the village. Any assistance, advise, or direction is appreciated.

Steve Maresso
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Miresse Family of Monte Falcone

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.paginebianche.it/

This is the link for the current Italian white pages. You can type in your surname and town name and see if there are any individuals with the surname currently listed in the phonebook and then write to those individuals to see if they are relatives. When I typed in your surname and town name, four different towns came up as follows:

Marche Fermo (FM) Montefalcone Appennino -
Campania Benevento (BN) Montefalcone Di Val Fortore -
Molise Campobasso (CB) Montefalcone Nel Sannio -
Campania Benevento (BN) San Nazzaro Montefalcone

You didn't say in your post the name of the province in which your town is located. That information is also needed to answer your question about getting birth and marriage certificates.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Possible manifest of 1902, Antonio, married, coming from Monte Falcone, joining a brother in law in Chicago, Illinois:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957

Name: Antonio Miresse
Arrival Date: 18 Jun 1902
Estimated birth year: abt 1874
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Ethnicity/Race-
/Nationality: Italian
Ship Name: Trave
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Line: 6
Microfilm Serial: 15t715
Microfilm Roll: T715_285
Page Number: 39

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
smaress

Post by smaress »

The province is Benevento (BN) Montefalcone Di Val Fortore. As you recommended I can attempt to write to those listed in the phone book.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

There are microfilmed state civil records for the town available from an LDS center for the years 1809-1850, in case you want to rent and try to do those films. To access the exact films available, go to www.familysearch.org. Go to Library catalog under the search records option. Type in your town name in top box and Italy in the bottom box and you will get a list of civil ecords available on microfilm for your town.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

sorry, meant to type from 1809-1860 not 1850.

Also, if you go to the website www.familysearch.org and type in the surname Miresse in the search engine, you will see a lot of names and dates with that surname from your town in the International Genealogical Index (IGI). There may be something there that will relate to your ancestry.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.montefalconedivalfortore.campania.it/

The above is an official website for your town. Where it says "gli uffici," there is currently no listing of the offices there. If they eventually add an email address for their anagrafe (registry) office, that would be the email address you could then use to try to get some information concerning the births and marriage of your ancestor. There are two email addresses at the top of the website page for the municipio, or municipal bldg itself. You could probably try sending an email to one of those email addresses, as the registry office is located in the same building. However, you would need to send them rather specific information to get birth and marriage information from them about your ancestors.
smaress

Post by smaress »

Thank you for providing the website for Montefalcone. As you have recommended I will try to send an e-mail to the municipal building and see what comes back to me. Montefalcone is a very small village in the mountains and I expect that most people in this old town know all the families. I'll see what happens. Thank you.
dmeress

Post by dmeress »

My name is David Meress (born 1956) . I dont know if we are related in any way. I know that my grandfather had changed the spelling of his name when he came to this country. His name was Mike Meress and a recent document shows his name as Michele Miresse from MonteFalcone Di Val Fortore. We do know the family is from this area but not a whole lot more. They lived in Northern Wisconsin. If you have any information please let me know.
smaress

Post by smaress »

David, My great grandfather was named Michele Miresse, however he never emmigrated to the United States. Michele's son(my grandfather) Anthony, along with a couple of his siblings did come to the United States in the early 1900's and they all settled in Chicago. The name in the United States became Maresso, which is my surname. Since Montefalcone is such a small village I am almost certain we are related, but I do not have much information about my ancestors in Montefalcone at this time. I do continue to make inquiries and if I find anything I will be more than happy to share the information with you.
Thanks.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello David, and welcome! :-)

If you wish assistance in your research, you may want to create a "new topic" and tell us how we can help..

T.
dmeress

Post by dmeress »

Steve,
Thanks for the response. Please keep me updated if you find out any info. I am headed to Italy in the morning and hope to make a stop in Monte Falcone but may not have much time there if I do make it there. I did find several Miresse in the phone book for Monte Falcone. Wish I would have had researched more before this trip. I will keep you informed of any info I find. Thanks Dave
SMiresse

Post by SMiresse »

I don't know if this topic is still active, but I am one of the Miresse's from Wisconsin and a descendant from Monte Falcone. My grandfather took annual trips to Italy for years, but stopped about 15 years ago for health reasons. I am actually friends with a bunch of distant cousins and Miresse descendants that still live in Monte Falcone, on facebook. Their last name is Coduti. I traced the family tree up and back down to them a few years ago.

Steve
smaress

Post by smaress »

Hi Steve,

I would believe we are probably distant cousins. My surname was changed from Miresse to Maresso when my grandfather immigrated to the United States from Montefalcone in the early 1900's. There are many Maresso's now in the US, and I have documented many of them into my family tree. I also have a link to the Coduti family through my Uncles marriage to a Coduti in the 1930's. I also know his wife was born in Montefalcone and moved to the US as a child along with her brothers and sisters. I would love to reach out to any Miresse's that live in Montefalcone, and that may have information about my grandfather Anthony, and his father Michael. Please let me know if you would like me to share anay of the information I already have.

Thanks,

Steve
SMiresse

Post by SMiresse »

My grandfather's name is Arthur, his father was Joseph, I tried to call him today but he was out, I am not sure of anyone above my great grandfather. If I can find out any more info, I will post it here.