Help with marriage certifcate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
aruffalo

Help with marriage certifcate

Post by aruffalo »

Hi! I posted this in another topic, but was hoping maybe someone here might be able to help :)

Hello! Coming here for a little help if people are able to. I am looking for a marriage record for my great-grandfather and my grandfather's mother so that I can find out what state to request the certificate from. I have access to Ancestry and have been searching every which way I know how. I am pretty sure they were married, but can't seem to find any record and was wondering if anybody might have suggestions on places to search and what to do. His name is Bennie V. Ruffalo (or Ruffolo, I've looked under both) and her name is Doris E. Rittenhouse and they were probably married between 1930 and 1940 but I have no proof at this point.

Also, if they were never married, does anyone know how to go about this for dual citizenship purposes??

Thanks in advance!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help with marriage certifcate

Post by VaDeb »

Hi

Here is where this question was started.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 16032.html

It helps those who respond if you can keep the same topic in the same post. This way research efforts are not duplicated.

My advice is to decide where they were most likely living at the time of their marriage and start requesting marriage record searchs if records for the area are not publicly available.

Debbie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Found the 1920 census. Posted it to the other thread.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
aruffalo

Post by aruffalo »

Thanks everyone. I still have not found any record, so I guess my question now is if they were never married, how does this affect my quest to gain dual citizenship? What should my next steps be?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

aruffalo wrote:Thanks everyone. I still have not found any record, so I guess my question now is if they were never married, how does this affect my quest to gain dual citizenship? What should my next steps be?
In theory, you (or your ancestor) can be an illegitimate child and still inherit Italian citizenship, so proof of marriage should not be a strict requirement. Much however depeds on the individual consulate where you will submit your application and the strength of your remaining documentation.

Please return to your other thread ( http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 16032.html ) and answer my question, if possible, concerning Doris Rittenhouse.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)