another dead end?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

another dead end?

Post by figlia »

I am still trying to find my grandfathers manifest. I took the advice of some here and obtained his naturalization petition/declaration.

The information I have off the papers isn't much help. His declaration of intention and the petition itself have differing info as far as where he was from. The children he stated he had and his address is correct so I know it is definitely him.

The info on his declaration of intent; he was from Santancelo Cancello, Avellino [no such village as far as I know]. It says he was born, Oct 12, 1875 and that his last foreign residence was Santancelo Cancello, Avellino Italy and emigrated to the US from [Ferzo, France!!] with his lawful entry at New York City on June 1900 on the vessel G.
[He also says his wife was born in 1881[this is the date on her gravestone], she actually arrived in April of 1903 at the Port of Boston]

The petition [has the same correct information as the dec of intent] says he was from Montenvilletto [it's Montemiletto]and born Oct. 8, 1876.

Here it says his wife was born in 1885 and entered from NY. [again she arrived at Boston] It also says she was born in 1885[actually 1881] and arrived at New York in April of 1899.

He states he arrived from Montenvilletto, from Naples, to New York on July 26, 1899

Everything else on both these documents are the same, the children, his address, the name of his wife and the dates match the Naturalization Card I have.

I am not surprised that I again have conflicting information, but Ferzo, France is mind-boggling :?

My question is where do I go from here? I am trying to get his manifest but can't find a trace of him at Ellis or Castle Garden. I don't know how to ask for his manifest info from NARA because I have so little information to give them! I need some new ideas.

I wonder if he was tired of answering so many questions?

As far as the Mormon records, I ran a search they gave me nothing and there is no LDS library [or Mormons] where I live which is far from any major city. I live in the most rural of places.

THANK YOU
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: another dead end?

Post by maestra36 »

La frazione di Sant'Angelo a Cancelli appartiene al comune di Pietradefusi, in provincia di Avellino, nella regione Campania.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/campania
/avellino_pietradefusi_santangeloacancelli.html

The town is Pietradefusi, the frazione is Sant'Angelo a Cancelli (frazione is a part of the town-like a surburb or section of the town), the province is Avellino.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

figlia wrote:The info on his declaration of intent; he was from Santancelo Cancello, Avellino [no such village as far as I know]. It says he was born, Oct 12, 1875 and that his last foreign residence was Santancelo Cancello, Avellino Italy and emigrated to the US from [Ferzo, France!!] with his lawful entry at New York City on June 1900 on the vessel G.
The vessel "G."?

Is that really all that it says?

Also, what was his full name?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

johnnyonthespot wrote:
figlia wrote:The info on his declaration of intent; he was from Santancelo Cancello, Avellino [no such village as far as I know]. It says he was born, Oct 12, 1875 and that his last foreign residence was Santancelo Cancello, Avellino Italy and emigrated to the US from [Ferzo, France!!] with his lawful entry at New York City on June 1900 on the vessel G.
The vessel "G."?

Is that really all that it says?

Also, what was his full name?
G. That is all it says. "G" that's a lot of help huh? :D

His full name seems to be whatever he wants it to be!
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny

If you go to this option and type in June 1900, I think there are only two ships that arrived through Ellis Island in NY that started with the letter G. Maybe he was on one of those ships.

About the date of birth on a tombstone-never assume that is correct. I have an ancestor born in 1849 and his wife born in 1856. On their tombstone it says they were born in 1861. Their youngest daughter had the dates engraved on the tombstone which are incorrect. The couple was married by 1873.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Also if you place the full name of your ancestors on this forum, someone might help you locate the correct passenger lists.
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

>edited<
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

[quote="maestra36"]http://stevemorse.org/ellis/boatx.html?mode=ny

If you go to this option and type in June 1900, I think there are only two ships that arrived through Ellis Island in NY that started with the letter G. Maybe he was on one of those ships.

Thank you, I am searching this now. There are only the Gera and the La Gascogne in 1900.

In July of 1899 there are quite a few more, it will take time but I will go through every one of them.

thank you very much for that link.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Also the Gran Antilla arriving New York June 12, 1900
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

johnnyonthespot wrote:Also the Gran Antilla arriving New York June 12, 1900
I think I will begin with this ship since the date matches a date in the Nat papers.

thanks
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I presume we are looking for the Giochino Puccillo in your other thread ( http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 15558.html )?
Carmine

figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

johnnyonthespot wrote:I presume we are looking for the Giochino Puccillo in your other thread ( http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 15558.html )?

Yes. I wanted a fresh start with new information.
The Declaration of Intent and the Petition for Naturalization have what seems to be some contrary information with a lot of very correct information.
I have to figure out which information is correct.

It's
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

maestra36 wrote:La frazione di Sant'Angelo a Cancelli appartiene al comune di Pietradefusi, in provincia di Avellino, nella regione Campania.

http://italia.indettaglio.it/ita/campania
/avellino_pietradefusi_santangeloacancelli.html

The town is Pietradefusi, the frazione is Sant'Angelo a Cancelli (frazione is a part of the town-like a surburb or section of the town), the province is Avellino.
According to the site it is a part of Montemiletto. (?) I'm confused. His wife is from Pietradefusi. I know the 2 aren't far apart from one another. My grandfathers brothers birth certificate says he [the brother] was born on Corso Belvedere (ave?) in Montemiletto.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

www.tuttitalia.it/campania/18-montemiletto is a comune with frazione (absorbed hamlets). scroll down to bottom for listings. =Peter=
~Peter~
figlia
Rookie
Rookie

Post by figlia »

Thank you Peter~