1896 document hard to read

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Birdlover77

1896 document hard to read

Post by Birdlover77 »

Hello Everyone!
It's nice to meet you and to have found this site!

I have an 1896 document, in Italian, cursive, written fancy with a quill no doubt, and faded. I don't want to get false hopes up, Giovanni and Isaia are common names, and many people named children after relatives, but my grandfather was born in 1896. I think it's a birth record of my grandpop. It was emailed to me, so I can email it to anyone who thinks they might be able to help read it, or I will attemp to attach it here.

I have just started this interesting genealogy journey, and was fortunate enough to find someone in Italy, who emailed this to me...so I think we are related. I do not speak Italian, and he doesn't speak English...communicating is quite a challenge. I have used the www.freetranslation.come website, but when I translate it from English to Italian and back to English again, it's quite different than what I originally wanted to say!

Anway, If I can learn what this document says, and verify it is indeed my grandpop, then I can happily email this man back and call him cousin!! :)

Thank you so much!
Lisanne
srrotondo

Re: 1896 document hard to read

Post by srrotondo »

Hello Birdlover,

Like you, I've just started my genealogy journey and what a trek it has become. Have you just tried the Italian to English using Google. I've used it on occasion and found it quite helpful.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Welcome to the forum! :-)

Try to post it here using imageshack.com or photobucket.com
We can take a look at it and try to translate. Many of us are quite familiar with the Italian documents and the handwriting. The online translators often mix up the words, and the meaning becomes confused.

If you're interested, here is a site that will help you to understand those Italian documents.
http://static.immigrants.byu.edu/Downlo ... efault.htm

T.
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

I will attempt photobucket, I am not the greatest when it comes to computers.

OK, I am sorry, none of the links will work, and I have no idea why.

What can I do now?
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

Let me see if this will work for you, hope so....

http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58 ... edia_share
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

What am I doing wrong? I have copied and pasted the link, but it's not taking me there when I try it.
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

I am trying to copy and paste but it cuts it off automatically...OK let me try this, type in http:// then the rest of this here...s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58/Birdlover77/Italian%20documents/?action=view¤t=FamilyveltrecertiffromGiovanni.jpg&evt=user_media_share
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

OK, this seemed to work, sorry, I am very technologically behind the times! But I am trying.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hello!
This may help,
Your link will usually start with http and end with .jpeg
Sometimes the hosting sites will have options that will say something like direct link:, so you know which one to copy for the forum

I think this is your document
http://s957.photobucket.com/albums/ae58 ... ovanni.jpg

imageshack is another hosting option
http://imageshack.us/

I hope this helps!
Valarie
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi Lisanne,
your document is a baptism act dated October 11 (or 2), 1896.

In the Church of Bagnore* a boy son to Giovanni Veltro and Elisabetta Pennisi, born at 7pm on September 26, 1896, whom was given the name of Isaia Cosmo Leonildo. Godfather was Isaia Cali....

* Bagnore is a hamlet part of the town of Santa Fiora, province of Grosseto, Tuscany.

Ada
Birdlover77

Post by Birdlover77 »

Wow, thank you so much!!! This is so exciting, I think this is really my grandfather. He passed on when I was a one year old baby, so just being able to find this kind of info means a lot to me, it brings tears to my eyes.

Our family had very little info, but what I had compiled so far was that grandpop was Isaia Veltre, born Sept 26, 1896, from Italy.
His parents were Giovanne Veltre and Lisetta Pennisi in Italy.

That is all I had, I do not know when grandpop came over from Italy, with or without his parents, etc. So I guess my next inquiries will be to the Ellis Island records area. I know they were very poor, too.

Well, thank you, this is really amazing to me, and I can't wait to share it with family here. I hope to trace back in the past as far as I can go, and then trace back down to the present, and find cousins to say hello to in Italy. Thank you for helping our family. :D