Help Reading this manifest

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
steps3
Rookie
Rookie

Help Reading this manifest

Post by steps3 »

Can anyone help me with the names here....I find them difficult to decipher....here I need the name of the father (the one with the line through it in Canton Ohio)

on this one I need help with the name of the stepbrother....

(Hopefully I've uploaded the image files correctly) Thank you for your help!
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Help Reading this manifest

Post by misbris »

Line through it means he didn't sail. Looks like Agostino ___fabene. Can't read the other.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

You're right, it's is a little tough to read. This is a case where I'd probably want to look at the whole page for handwriting comparison.

Top one: First name is Agostino. It's the last one that I'm not positive about. Looks like *ofabene. Just not sure of that first letter.

Here's what I'd suggest though- the town they came from listed here looks like Santa Maria Capua Vetere. You can google for surnames from this town, check message boards, etc. and see if any fit with the above.

That's one way to go about it. Or repost with a link to the whole manifest (or enough details that we can find it) and we'll see if we can crack the puzzle for you. :)

PS- Second one same thing- I'd want to see the whole image.

PPS- What person was this manifest for? The father's name should be the same as the person - even for women since they usually used their maiden names.
steps3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by steps3 »

Here is the link to the whole page: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipm ... 0816170283

The name of the passenger is Gioacchino Ardente and I am nearly certain he is coming to be with his stepbrother (my ancester) Errico Aventino--however the names of father and stepbrother are certainly not Aventino (nor is it Ardente) but that actually helps me as I don't believe Errico's real last name was Aventino so I am trying to decipher this last name provided here... (also side note, Errico lived at 1429 Cherry Ave in Canton Ohio during this year as is "sort of" noted in the manifest).
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

So are these 2 different records that you posted above then?

I'm a little confused now. Are both of these records for Gioacchino?

The one up top with Agostino as father- who was that record for?
steps3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by steps3 »

They are both for Gioacchino....the link goes to one page of the manifest, but the manifest is two pages and the excerpts I took--one is from the first page, and the other is from the 2nd page...does this make sense?
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Yes it makes perfect sense. I just wanted to clear that up. I'll go take a look at both pages.
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

Hi,
the father's first name is clearly Agostino and surname looks "Tifabene" but this name doesn't exist in Italy now, it could have been mispelled.

The step brother's first name is Arduino and surname could be Lentini.

Ada
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Here's the best that I can make out without further research-

Top one: first name is Agostino (this I'm sure about) Last name is tough here. Looks almost like "cofabene"- though 'cosabene' would make more sense- this actually means something in Italian and I could see it being a name.

The handwriting is very inconsistent though.
I don't know if it was done by more than one scribe or if the guy just was inconsistent. For example: Most of his capital 'c's' don't look like the the 'c' in the last name- if it is in fact a 'c'. Yet I found a "catarina' on the other page that looked just like it! So maybe that was in fact a 'c'.

I did quick google searces for these 2 last names and didn't find a lot about either- though it seems there are some cosabene names- and I'd say this might be more likely. The 's' in cosabene looks more like an 'f' but somehow the 'f' just doesn't seem right. So if I had to GUESS without any other evidence to go by- I'd say Cosabene.

Bottom one: First name looks like Eduino. Not very common but it is listed on this first name list: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... .htm#rmale

Last name of second one can't make out too well. Maybe someone else can help.

Also checked the S.M. Capua Vetere site for you- don't list surnames for that town. Sorry. If you know that they all came from there though it might help to go ahead and order a film from that town and see what surnames were there. Especially for smaller towns you often see the same names over and over- some records will be clearer than others and most likely you will hit one that makes sense.

Hope I helped out some.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Steps3,

I notice this person is 23 years old in 1913. If he was born in 1890, I may still have that film on loan. Any idea how accurate this age is on the manifest?

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
steps3
Rookie
Rookie

Post by steps3 »

Sorry for the delay...thank you all for your thoughts on how to decipher these names...Jim you are turning into my "microfilm angel!" Gioacchino's birthday is 21 Dec 1890....I am wondering if he may be a foundling with the last name of Ardente and was raised obviously in a family with a different last name?
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Steps3-

Do you have the LDS microfilms for the town already?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

am wondering if he may be a foundling with the last name of Ardente and was raised obviously in a family with a different last name?
Bottom one: First name looks like Eduino. Not very common but it is listed on this first name list
I believe the correct first name here is Arduino....

Laura
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

I though it was an "A' at first too but then I noticed the "E" above it and it looks just the same. And the 'A's" on this manifest look a lot different.

You could be right though- not sure on this one.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

So, the consensus is Gioacchino Ardente? I will look on Saturday. I believe I still have that film.
I will get back to you.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.