Pricolo

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bannah22

Pricolo

Post by bannah22 »

Does anyone have any information on my great parents Michael and Luvisa Pricolo both born in Naples, Italy late 1800s and settled in Stockton California early 1900s,. I cannot find any port of entry through Ellis Island, but did find Michael's brothers entered there. I know what date they were born, but how did they arrive here? I tried to contact family, but know one seems to know. Michael died in 1929 of an accident and Luvisa died late 1970s both died in Stockton California. I contacted the mortuary and Catholic Church, but know one has the answer to what town they were born in or how they arrived here in the U.S. My Grandfather was Carmen Pricolo, Michael and Luvisa's son. His wife Jesse died leaving a 4 year old daughter Carolyn born 1941. Carmen could not take care of her, so Jesse' sister Hazel took care of her. My late mother Carolyn said she remembered when she would visit her father and he would take her to see her Grandmother Luvisa and she would be making raviolis, pasta, gravy. she would have the table full of different pastas. So my questions are 1. Where were they born? 2. What year were they married. 3. What port of entry did they enter into the U.S.? 4. Who were their parents? Does anyone have a picture that can be copied and sent to me? Please any information would be wonderful and make my family history a little more complete.
Thank you
P M Pricolo-Tamez
vj
Master
Master

Re: Pricolo

Post by vj »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

So we don’t duplicate your research, do you have all of your family’s
US census & military records?
And, do you know Luisa/Luigia's maiden name?
Thanks! Valarie

Just for everyone’s reference,

Are these records correct?
possible 1910 census

Home in 1910:
Stockton Ward 3, San Joaquin, California

Mike Pricolo 32, abt 1878 IT
- married 19 yrs, abt 1891
- immig 1905 Al
Louise Pricolo 32 abt 1878 IT
- 3 children
- immig 1905
John Pricolo 13 abt 1897 IT
Tony Pricolo 9 abt 1901 IT
Mary Pricolo 4 abt 1906 CA

Boarders
Augo Plamins 26
Peter Conscrice 24
Ben Conscrice 26
James Ferieri 44
---

Michele’s 1918 WWI Draft Registration card (both sides)
Mich Pricolo
1104 E Sonora, Stockton
Born 7 Jul 1877 in Italy
Non-declariant
Grocer at 414 S Union in Stockton
Wife Louise at same address
---

son John’s 1918 Card
(Giovanni?)
John Pricolo
1104 E Sonora St, Stockton
Born 22 May 1897 in Saponara di Grumento
Declarant

Note: Grumento Nova
Province of Potenza, Region Basilicata
was called Saponara until 1863,
and Saponara di Grumento from 1863 to 1932

John’s cancelled 1917 card
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Luigia’s possible 1905 manifest

23 June 1905 SS Sardegna, Napoli to NY
Lines 20-22

Luigia Pricola 29, abt 1876
- possible naturalization notation: 22x25756 505 4/29/42
- last residence Saponara
- destination Los Banos C.
- joining husband Michele Pricolo in Los Banos
Son Giovanni 8, abt 1897
- possible naturalization notation: 22x23094 505 9/4/41
Son Antonio 3, abt 1902
edit: age crossed out, looks like 4?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Michele‘s possible 1900 manifest

19 Sep 1900 SS Kaiser Wilhelm II, Naples to NY
Line 30

Michele Pericolo 23, abt 1877
- married
- destination S Francisco, California
- joining brother ?

Note: 1900 is possible if this is son Antonio's Death Record...
Name: Tony Pricolo
Social Security #: 54818xxxx
Sex: MALE
Birth Date: 12 Mar 1900
Birthplace: Italy
Death Date: 15 Jun 1963
Death Place: San Joaquin
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

If you’re interested in researching your family’s records in Italy
(if Saponara di Grumento is the correct town of birth)

You can order & view the civil records on microfilm at your local Family History Center
film notes
Title: Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910
Authors: Grumento Nova (Potenza).
Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Notes:
Microfilm dei registri originali nel Tribunale di Potenza e nell'Archivio di Stato, Potenza.
Include indici.
Fino al 1932 Grumento Nova fu conosciuto come Saponara di Grumento.
Mancano alcuni anni.

Births, banns, marriages, deaths, miscellaneous records, supplemental records. Some years missing.
FamilySearch home page
This page has a search feature to help you find your nearest Family History Center

Italy Research Outline
meticulousmobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by meticulousmobile »

Maybe not VJ, I have all the Saponara film locked down hahaha! Just kidding, I have to wait forever like everyone else. I do have a roll from 1840-42 reserved for awhile, and I have some Pricolo/Pricoli info written down, so Bannah22, if this is your family let me know and I'll keep my eyes open, I'm always in that town's film.
Researching Pennella, Liuzzi, Bottini, Casella, LaPosta, Defeudis, Gaudet, Gallant and Parant.
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

Yes this is my family. Please keep me in touch with what you come across. I would like to get a picture of Mike Pricolo and his wife Louisa.

Thank you
Pamela Marie Pricolo-Tamez
meticulousmobile
Rookie
Rookie

Post by meticulousmobile »

Pictures are tough, but awesome when you do find them! I'll look through my info and see what I have recorded. If you haven't heard from me, pm or email me to remind me, I get forgetful sometimes! :roll:
Researching Pennella, Liuzzi, Bottini, Casella, LaPosta, Defeudis, Gaudet, Gallant and Parant.
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

Thank you. I will will wait to hear. I will put a reminder out to you soon. It is always exciting when just a little bit of info is found. I still need to know what ship my Great Grandmother Louisa came in on. I know my Great Grandfather Michele come on the Kaiser Wilhelm to Port of NY September 20, 1900, but with out Louisa. Her name was not on the manifest. I also would like to know her maiden name and what Province in Naples Italy she was born in. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
P M Pricolo-Tamez
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

Any news on Pricolo? I need to know the maiden name of my grandmother Luvisa (Louise) Pricolo and where she was born in Naples Italy 1878. She Married Michele Pricolo (children Carmen, Mary Born in California. John and Tony born in Italy) I think they may have had more than four children. They lived in Stockton California. Also what ship did she come on and what port?
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

bannah22 wrote:Any news on Pricolo? I need to know the maiden name of my grandmother Luvisa (Louise) Pricolo and where she was born in Naples Italy 1878. She Married Michele Pricolo (children Carmen, Mary Born in California. John and Tony born in Italy) I think they may have had more than four children. They lived in Stockton California. Also what ship did she come on and what port?
Hi!
Don't you think this is the correct manifest?
Thanks!
Luigia’s possible 1905 manifest

23 June 1905 SS Sardegna, Napoli to NY
Lines 20-22

Luigia Pricola 29, abt 1876
- possible naturalization notation: 22x25756 505 4/29/42
- destination Los Banos C.
- joining husband Michele Pricolo in Los Banos
Son Giovanni 8, abt 1897
- possible naturalization notation: 22x23094 505 9/4/41
Son Antonio 3, abt 1902
age crossed out, looks like 4?
---

possible 1920 census

Home in 1920:
1104 E Sonora, owns
Stockton Ward 3, San Joaquin, California

head Mike Pricolo 42, abt 1878 IT
- immig 1905?, Na
- retail merchant, groceries
wife Luise Pricolo 42, abt 1878 IT
- immig 1905, Na
son John Pricolo 23, abt 1897 IT
- immig 1905, Na
son Tony Pricolo 18, abt 1902 IT
- immig 1905, Na
daughter Mary Pricolo 13, abt 1907 CA
daughter Tressa Pricolo 8, abt 1912 CA
daughter Angline Pricolo 8, abt 1912 CA
son Carmin Pricolo 3 3/12, abt 1916 CA
---

possible 1930 census
---

CA Death Index from rootsweb:
http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/ ... 0000584978

possible records

Last Name First Name Middle Birth Date Mother Maiden Father Last Sex Birth Place Death Place Residence Death Date SSN Age

PRICOLO LOUISE 12/24/1877 F SAN JOAQUIN 01/12/1966 88 yrs
PRICOLO ANTHONY/TONY 03/12/1901 PRICOLO M SAN JOAQUIN 06/15/1963 548-18-xxxx 63 yrs
PRICOLO CARMEN J 08/14/1917 M CALIFORNIA SAN JOAQUIN 01/21/1977 565-16-xxxx 59 yrs
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

Thank you for the above info. If anyone out there has any info on my great grandmother Luvisa's (Louise) Pricolo's maiden name and where she was born in Italy please respond. I also know that my Great Grandfather Michele Pricolo died in about 1929 in Stockton California from falling off of a truck and hitting his head, that is the story. He owned a grocery store at 414 S. Union Street in Stockton California at about 1927-29. I would like to know what the name of the grocery store was. Also I noticed that in different logs some note takers wrote the surname as Pricolo or Pricola. It is originally Pricolo.

Thank you
Pamela M Pricolo-Tamez
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

Ok, I now know that my great grandparents came form Saponara Naples Italy, on the ships manifest my grandfather's name was written as Mishele Pricolo arrived alone September 20, 1900 port of NY and my grandmother was called Luigia Pricolo arrived with her two children Giovanni and Antonio Pricolo in June 1905 Port of NY.

Their names on the Stockton California 1910,1920 census is Michele and Louise Pricolo. 1930 census just has Louise and their children. Their given first names are Michele and Luvisa Pricolo. My great grandfather Michele died on July 3, 1929 and Luvisa died January 12, 1966. I do not know Luvisa' maiden name yet. I need to obtain my grandfather's Carmin's birth certificate from Stockton California, in the hopes that it has Luvisa' maiden name on it, but if anyone has any knowledge of her maiden name. I would greatly appreciate the information.

I also want to know when and where Michele and Luvisa were born and married in Italy and who their parents were. Michele Pricolo born July 17, 1877 Italy and Luvisa December 24, 1877 Italy.

Thank you
Pamela Pricolo Tamez
bannah22

Post by bannah22 »

meticulousmobile wrote:Maybe not VJ, I have all the Saponara film locked down hahaha! Just kidding, I have to wait forever like everyone else. I do have a roll from 1840-42 reserved for awhile, and I have some Pricolo/Pricoli info written down, so Bannah22, if this is your family let me know and I'll keep my eyes open, I'm always in that town's film.
Do you have any info on microfilm from Italy yet? On Pricolo that you would be willing to share with me? I really would appreciate it.

Thank you
Pamela Pricolo Tamez
kathymullins001

Post by kathymullins001 »

Hello there.
I am hoping someone can help me. I am researching my grandfather's side of our family tree and we really don't know much about his side at all.

I am posting to this thread because he and/or his family was either related and/or friends to the Pricolo family being discussed here so I was hoping maybe someone might know of my grandfather's family or any information that might help me out.

My grandfather's name was Angelo Ralph Sorrentino, born 1908. His mother was Maria Roselli, about 1880 (maybe) and his father was Antonio Sorrentino, born 1867 (maybe).

My grandfather came to America in 1921. His father and one brother were already over here. I know this through family knowledge. I found my grandfather's ship manifest record using ancestry.com's historical records search. I am sure it is his record because he lists his mother Maria Roselli (who I know stayed in Italy) as his closest relative in Italy and lists his father Antonio as the one he was coming to see in America. I also know my grandfather was 13 when he came over and the record shows that as well.

In the ship manifest record, it appears he was traveling with 4 other people. They all list the same destination address. The four other people were, Grazia Montensano-Sessagesimo, age 44 (in 1921), Giuseppe Sessagesimo, age 15, Guiseppe Ciuffo, age 35 and Antonio Ciuffo, age 71.

Everyone listed their birthplace as Saponara, Potenza. Everyone listed their last residence as Potenza. Giuseppe Ciuffo and Antonio Ciuffo listed there closest relative in Italy as Giovanni Pricolo which is Giuseppe's cousin and Antonio's newphew. They listed Carmela Melillo, born 1884, as who they were going to see in America which as Giuseppe's sister and Antonio's daughter. I found Carmela Melillo's ship manifest record. She was married to Raffaele from Moletenco?? Potenza. Carmela lists her birthplace as Saponara of gmmens, potenza.

So what is clear to me is that we have a link to this Saponara, Potenza place... but I can find no records of a Sorrentino or Roselli surname there. Complicating matters is that Saponara, Potenza no longer exists. I read in earlier info on this thread that Grumento Nova Province of Potenza, Region Basilicata was called Saponara until 1863, and Saponara di Grumento from 1863 to 1932. So what is Grumento Nova now used to be Saponara, but was Saponara split up and/or renamed into more than just Grumento Nova? I couldn't find anything about what "Saponara of gmmens, Potenza" could have been an abbreviation for (the gmmens part of it).

I know my grandfather had sisters that all stayed in Italy with their mother (Maria Roselli) and they never came to America - at least not in his life time. We know one of his sister's names was Carmela (or Carmella) Sorrentino and we THINK another one may have been Marie or Maria. Not sure. His brothers that came to America were Frank Sorrentino, born 1910 and John Sorrentino. In 1930, they lived in Buffalo, NY and I found their 1930 Census showing that. My grandfather stayed in Buffalo his whole life. My mother said growing up, she knew that her father (Angelo) sent a monthly check back to his mother in Italy, so I know she didn't die too young.

Thats pretty much all we know. I was able to tree out the Ciuffo/Melillo link some, but never found a clear link to my family. These may have just been family friends that he traveled with.

We have our tree complete for decendants of my grandfather and his two brothers over here, but we have nothing for his sisters, or his mother or his father, other than him and his two brothers. My aunt really wants to know exactly where my grandfather was born and if we can at least find that out, it would be some peace.

Does anyone know if Saponara, Potenza became anything else other than Grumento Nova? Or does anyone know of a Roselli or Sorrentino family from that region? Even if its not the exact people I'm looking for, if they are from that region, it may be a distant relative that I can link back through to find info on my family.

Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone can provide!!!!