Villa

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Villa

Post by michaud »

Can anyone direct me as to where i would find out if my grandfather served in the Italian military for WW1 ??? I believe that he may have...
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Villa

Post by johnnyonthespot »

See this thread http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... stato.html for an example of how to write the state archives requesting military records.

The mailing address will be:

Archivio di Stato dell'Aquila
Zona Industriale di Bazzano
Via G. Galilei, 2
67100 L'Aquila
Italy

Or, email to: as-aq@beniculturali.it (remove the spaces)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PS: a few changes to be made in the letter -

Change bisnonno (great-grandfather) to nonno (grandfather).

Change "nato nel Comune di Campobello Di Licata" to nato nel Comune di Celano"

The current month in italiano is "aprile" (always all lower-case). If you don't get around to it soon, next month is "maggio". :)

State archives generally charge only the cost of postage and a small photocopy fee. Typically it works out to two or three euros total. Often they will send an email or letter asking you to forward the fee before they send the documents, but usually mail both the letter and the documents the same day.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

....or send e-mail with information requested and your return information to URP@persomil.difesa.it =Peter=
~Peter~
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Thats fantastic.....thanks so much.
You guys are a wealth of information.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:....or send e-mail with information requested and your return information to URP@persomil,difesa.it =Peter=
First time I have seen this one, Peter - what is it?

Also, I know you did not mean to put a comma in the email address. Is it supposed to be another "."?
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dedar Johnny It's an Italian army public relations office for dealing with the public as an alternative to the beniculturali e-mail since he did not indicate the DOB and that may be a problem so two for the price of one is a bargain. Thanks for the comma ...I noticed it too. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote: ... since he did not indicate the DOB and that may be a problem

Based on his other threads, I beielve the OP has all the necessary info.
Carmine

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

whats OP? =Peter=
~Peter~
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Would i still write the letter requesting military info even if i am not 100% sure that my grandfather actually served?? Is there a place i would go first to check if was in the military or would i write the letter and they would let me know whether he did or not ??
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

PeterTimber wrote:whats OP? =Peter=
Surely this can't be the first time you have seen OP?

OP = Original Poster. The person who started the thread.
Carmine

vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

michaud wrote:Would i still write the letter requesting military info even if i am not 100% sure that my grandfather actually served?? Is there a place i would go first to check if was in the military or would i write the letter and they would let me know whether he did or not ??
If he were in the US 1917-1918 he would have registered for the 1st World War. Some of these records ask if he was ever in the service.
Yes you can request records without knowing for sure :D .
Valarie
michaud
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michaud »

Hi Valerie,
I believe that my grandfather may have been in WW1 over in Italy....not the US. According to a previous post, i have to write a letter requesting a search. I suppose they will tell me yes he was or no he wasnt.
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
I meant the 1917-1918 US Registration Card sometimes asked if he served in any miltary, not just the US
I hope they send you some great info :D .
Valarie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

michaud wrote:Would i still write the letter requesting military info even if i am not 100% sure that my grandfather actually served?? Is there a place i would go first to check if was in the military or would i write the letter and they would let me know whether he did or not ??
The Italian state archives I have dealt with responded to similar requests quickly - usually no more than a few weeks. If they find records, they will make photocopies and let you know the cost; as I said earlier, typically just a few euros.

If they do not find any records, they will send you a letter or email to that effect and will not charge you for the search.

However, at the very least, there should exist a Registro di Leva record for every Italian male who was in Italy during his 18th or 19th year and beyond. This would indicate his registration status and whether he was eventually called to service or bypassed for some reason (poor health, for example). See my maternal grandfather's entry in this thread http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... rt=11.html
Carmine