italian birth certificate

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
senior
Rookie
Rookie

italian birth certificate

Post by senior »

Hi; I joined last night, in hopes that someone could answer this question: is it possible to get a copy of my grandfathers' birth certificate? He was born in San Valentino,Abruzzo in 1889. I have a lot of info, but thought I should first find out if it can be done. Thanks, Senior.
mler
Master
Master

Re: italian birth certificate

Post by mler »

It certainly can be done. In fact, many people have done just that in their quests for dual citizenship, and the more information you have, the easier it is. If you write to your grandfather's comune, they will help you.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

Hi, and welcome. Try this link for the Comune address and telephone#

http://en.comuni-italiani.it/068/038/

there is also a link to the towns official website on this page. I didn't see any email address for the town as this could possibly speed up for a birth certificate request. Although each town seems to move at their own pace. I just emailed the Comune Di Villarosa on March 21st, 2009 requesting my maternal grandmothers birth certificate and the certificate was in my mailbox this past Saturday April 4th,2009. That's fast! Good luck......
jamescatizoneitaliandualcitizenship.com
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

Thank you, mler and Jcat for the information and the warm welcome. I'm afraid your answers have raised more questions. First, why would someone want dual citizenship? Secondly, is there a form letter one might use in requesting a birth certificate? I haven't spoken Italian for fifty years, I'm afraid, so I see communication as an obstacle. I know the people who have done this before me have some answers. I do need help. I would be interested in using translationsfornations especially if they can steer me towards some type of form letter.jcat, getting a reply in fourteen days is unreal! That's the kind of turnaround I'd like. First, I have to find a form letter. Thanks again for your help.
senior
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

Try this site... loads of info.

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

This mentions a few of the benefits.....

http://www.italylink.com/dual_citizenship.html
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

jcat; thanks again. Looks like tomorrow I'll be able to draft my letter. Do you know what information is included in an Italian birth certificate (1889)?
Thanks
senior
Looking for names; Cerimeli, Napoleone, DiPasquale,DiGiovanni, Della Morte, Di Marco, Mazzarella.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

The Italian birth certificates were rather simple--Name, parents' names, place of birth, date of registration and not much more.
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

thanks for the help,mler, that is the info I need. If the child was "illigitimate" would the bio parents be listed? The birth was 1889.
Thanks
senior
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to request an ESTRATTO DI NASCITA(birth extract) which contains parents names and additonal information. =Peter=
~Peter~
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

thanks for your help Peter.. Nice to meet you
senior
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

Hey Peter, I was thinking; will I need an Estratto di Nascita and an Ufficio di Stato Civile? I'm really just stumbling my way through all of this. Also, my grandfather had to return to San Valentino, Abruzzo in 1912 to get a copy of the "extract from the archives"? I have a very rough translation, but not the original doc. He needed this so he could return to America and marry my grandmother. I would like to get this copy as well. Ever heard of this?

Thanks again
senior
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

I believe that the "extract from the archives" is the Estratto di Nascita Peter recommended you obtain. This is all you need for citizenship purposes.
jcat
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jcat »

if your looking to obtain dual citizenship, the certificato di nascita will suffice along with the certificato di cittadinanza which are citizenship papers that the consulate will require you to present. if you are mainly looking to acqiure the estratto degli atti di nascita & l' Ufficiale dello stato civile certificato di nascita for sentimental purposes the Estratto is the abstract of birth, which will tell you who the parents are and when they brought the child before the mayor of the comune, what the occupations are, any witnesses that were present. copies of certificates can be presented at the miami consulate as long as they are authenticated by the issuing party for dual citizenship.
This is the requirement of the Miami consulate and may vary in others.
senior
Rookie
Rookie

Post by senior »

Thanks again mler and jcat. You're right, I'm putting our family tree in order; strictly sentimental. Thanks for sharing all this info, now I really can proceed. So...I get the letters translated, and then mail them to the court house in San Valentino, following the payment suggestions on the other link? If you have any suggestions on how to proceed I would once again be in your debt.
Thanks,
senior
rafus

Post by rafus »

Hi jcat,
I just registered and read all your comments, I am wondering about the letter that you send to the Comune of Villarosa, how it was writen, if you can send me an idea how to request the documents to them it will help me a lot.
I'm looking to obtain the dualcitizenship and after talking to the Embassy here in Otawa, Canada, they are asking me for the birth certificate of my grandfather who was born 1896, I have the email of the Sindaco de Zoppola, place where he was born, but I don't know how to start to be polita and get his help in this matter, I don't speak Italian at all, I am studying it, and because I speak spanish I am getting along with it very well.

If you can give me a hand with this, I'd really apreciate it.
Thanks alot in advance
rafus