Looking for any info on Casorso(Casorzo) family from Tonco

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
KevinSchmidt

Looking for any info on Casorso(Casorzo) family from Tonco

Post by KevinSchmidt »

I am looking for any information known about the Casorzo family. My great great grandfather, Giovanni Casorzo, left either Tonco or Casorzo in the 1880's to the US and eventually resided in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada. His wife's name was Rosa Bevi Lacqua.
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: Looking for any info on Casorso(Casorzo) family from Ton

Post by mfjp »

Hi Kevin, The last name is the same as the town name? cool! Would this be yours? Did you ever find Rosa's manifest? Bevi Laqua or Bevilaqua?

Name: Giovanni Casarzo

Arrival Date: 25 Feb 1884

Estimated Birth Year:1855 Age:29 Gender:Male

Port of Departure: Le Havre, France and Plymouth, England

Destination: United States of America

Place of Origin:Italy

Ship Name:Amerique Port of Arrival: New York Line: 19

Microfilm Roll:473 List Number:183

This was not an Ellis Island manifest, but a Castle Gardens record.
mfjp
[/url]
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

TGyhere are 12 listings for Casorzo in Tonco, Postale 14039, provincia Asti. The town of casorzo is 14032 and is in the same province,postale 14032. While there are no listings for casorzo surnamed persons save for one bar and the post office there are 12 listings for people in Tonco which appears to be the town of origin by going with the numbers. There is no civil record on microfilm so you willhave to write to the Uffico Di Stato Civile there for any documents you may wish since his birth year appears to be 1855. If you are going to request documents of birth then request the "estrattio di nascita". Peter
KevinSchmidt

Post by KevinSchmidt »

Thanks for the info guys, I think that's the wrong person on the immigration form, because I am fairly sure Gionvanni was born in 1848. Is there an email address where I can contact the Uffico Di Stato Civile?

Kevin
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Ufficio Di Stato Civile, Comune di Casorzo, Postale 14032, Provincia Asti, Piemonte, Italy. Send request in italian. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Your failure to mention that you were fairly certain he was born in 1848 caused an error on the partof the respondent mfjp. it also led me astray and I would like to know why you were witholding valuable and basic information?? Peter
KevinSchmidt

Post by KevinSchmidt »

whoa! sorry! I just forgot to put it in, thanks for the address though. What was the site that you went to, to get the castle gardens information?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

That was not me that was another person who responded to your initial inquiry.......and came up with the error compounded by the lack of information. Now you have two scratches against you. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

My apologies Peter... :? sometimes my failure to ask the basic questions can only lead others astray.

Kevin, you need a paid subscription to Ancestry .com to access the Castle Gardens manifests... and I don’t know why.
They are not as detailed as the Ellis Island manifests either...

For all we know, this may not be the correct Casorso.. but if you want me to e-mail you a manifest(s) just send me a private message with an e-mail address.

There are different variations of Casorso when an ancestry .com search is done... which gives the cliché “barking up the wrong treeâ€Â
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There is nothing to apologize for in this matter. it is an oversight on my part. Peter
OldTom

Post by OldTom »

I grew up in Oliver, in the Okanagan Valley, and the late Vic Casorso ran an accounting firm there. He passed away about a year ago, and his son Dave runs the firm now.

Anyway, Vic wrote a book about his (and your) family in 1983, including how Giovanni Casorzo (later John Casorso) was born in Tonco in 1848, and came to New York in 1882, moving on to Canada a year later . If you don't have a copy, someone in your circle of relatives will probably have it. It's called "The Casorso Story", and it was published by Rima Books of Okanagan Falls. The forward thanks some of Vic's cousins who helped out with the research - I'll assume you are related to the "Chris Schmidt" he mentions.