Has anyone ever heard this expression?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Post by aliza24 »

My family's been in the US for a few generations. We still have some old expressions that have been passed down that we say and there's one that I've always been curious about.

I don't know how you would spell it- or even if it's been changed over the years- so I'm curious if anyone else has ever heard something similar.

It goes something like this (written as it would sound it in English):

Cheech kah-mah-nah kah-lah
Kah-lah kah-mah-nah cheech

Or an approximate Italian spelling:

cicci camana calla
callla camana cicci

It's supposed to be the equivalent of "the pot calling the kettle black"

As in- if someone who is short calls someone else short you say "cicci camana calla, calla camana cicci!"

FYI- My people were from the Alife area in Caserta. A little NE of Naples.

If anyone's ever heard something like this I'd love to hear from you.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Has anyone ever heard this expression?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Thank you for the link. I didn't see any that were similar though did you?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I think the other thread covers the phrase "pot calling the kettle black" accurately.

Your phrase, on the other hand, may have the same effective meaning but still be entirely different. In English, for example, "You say I have a big nose? Well, I say you have a big nose!"

I could quickly come up with a hundred variations. We need someone like Livio or Luca to stop by and see if they can make sense of your phonetic spelling.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Yes, you're right the thread covers the expression. And I'm sure that there are lots of different versions of it too.

I'm just curious if anyone has heard something similar to the one that I grew up hearing. I'm very into languages and would like to know if this originates from a particular region, what the original saying is- if it's been altered, etc.
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I hesitate to ask...... here's one that my sister's landlady - an old, old Italian woman -- used to say all the time when I was a kid ....

kit tee putz ahh chee

She wasn't in a good mood when she said it, and we were always curious. Even my Italian speaking mother and father didn't know.
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

kit tee putz ahh chee = Che ti puzza a te?

I believe it is kind of a question: Is it stinking for you? Is it something you dislike?
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

When I think of her disposition, I think you might be right! An example is when my cousins and I (9-10 years old) would tromp up the porch steps to see my big sister, the old lady often said her magic words. She was saying, "You stink!!!" but I think maybe in her context could be "This stinks", and it makes sense! She was quite a little complainer, so we heard it all the time. Very cute... and right on the money... Thank you, Livio. That was a fun trip down memory lane for me.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

How about "chooch"? Im sure its not spelt that way. Ive heard my family call many people that when they were basically calling a person an idiot or something worse! Is it short for something?

Alicia
uantiti
Elite
Elite

Post by uantiti »

DeFilippis78 wrote:How about "chooch"? Im sure its not spelt that way. Ive heard my family call many people that when they were basically calling a person an idiot or something worse! Is it short for something?

Alicia
I'm from Northern Italy but I've heard that expression. It's used in the South and it's dialect. The spelling is "ciuccio" (pronounced: chooch' hou) and means "donkey". I think it's used to say something like idiot.

Ada
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thats right. My grandmother said its a jack ass! I totally forgot until you reminded me , lol!
(pardon the language)

Alicia
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

DeFilippis78 wrote:How about "chooch"? Im sure its not spelt that way. Ive heard my family call many people that when they were basically calling a person an idiot or something worse! Is it short for something?

Alicia
:lol: I never knew that was Italian! That's used a lot in my family for a bully or an overbearing person, basically.

There is one I am told basically means "I hope you burst (or bust)", it's pronounced skoose-dee-mah. Does anyone know what that is?

Funny how these are passed down through generations.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I am sure it is listed in the italian dialect area of your family origin. Google it. =Peter=
~Peter~
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

Thank you Peter. But the problem is that I don't even know the original spelling - or even if it's been altered over the years. I've only heard it spoken, it's not something that was written down. And my guess would be that it 'evolved' some over the generations.

I've asked many people and never found anyone yet who has even heard anything similar. Who the heck knows- maybe my people even made it up themselves!
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Now that I looked at that phrase again, I recognize it. My grandpa from the province of Benevento used it all the time. The pronounciation I heard was scoose da maad. I have no idea what it meant, but it was not a compliment.