Do i give up ?

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
LoisM
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Do i give up ?

Post by LoisM »

BigVee,

Life is too short to care what other people think.

I piss family members off everyday doing my family history but these are the same people who will peek over your shoulder or ask what you have found out at a later date...lol

You can't miss out on anything if you have the chance to do..do it.

They will get mad...but sooner or later they will get over it.

Lois M.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Lois,
I dont want to upset anyone, but i have too know these things for me, i now feel if that upsets them, its for them to deal with.
You are right in what you say,
Thanks Vee
LoisM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LoisM »

BigVee,

Kick ass and take names....

You'll regret it if you don't

Lois M.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Thank you all,

i have got the microfilm numbers and will be phoning the Family History center tomorrow, cant believe it is so close to where i live :), thank you so much...
My search started over 30 years ago, thanks to things my nanna told me many years ago and the www i have got this far.

I intend to go as far back as possible on my fathers side.

Thank you all for your help and pointing me in the right direction , Vee
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Let us all know how you get on Vee!
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Caroline. ill let you know how i get on. Just out of interest what info are you looking for on your ggg grandfather ? Is it London , England ? Did he go back to Italy ?
Regards Vee
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Vee,
He was a sailor and settled in London sometime before 1812 when his marriage banns were announced, but continued to list his occupation as mariner/Italian interpreter/ship agent, so possibly went backwards and forwards, I don't really know.
The trouble was, the whole family kept swapping between Ciaccia and their new anglicised name, Church, never mind all the variations of Christian names they came up with!
He eventually died (of indigestion) still in London. I just can't find out where he came from, other than Naples.
I live in hope that one day another Ciaccia will come along and say "I know who he was"

Caroline.
Searching for my great x3 grandfather Raffaele CIACCIA, also known as Raphael/Ralph CHURCH. He was born in Napoli around 1792 and arrived in London before 1812 with his brother Saverio CIACCIA, where they married sisters Ann and Jane FURNEAUX. He switched between CHURCH and CIACCIA all his life, which has made it difficult enough to pin him down. I want to find his origin in Italy.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi again, i have ordered microfilms, it can take up to 3 weeks, so not long and i should know his birthday :), his parents names, hopefully his siblings names .

BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Just to update..I wrote to the commune using the form letters , the reply i got told me that there was only one person born with my fathers name between 1886 -1905 he was married in 1927 but not married to the person i was told was his wife he is also buried with lady i was told by my cousin was his wife. I went to his grave and couldnt understand why according to my cousin he was born in 1894 but on his grave it said 1902. In the reply it also said that he died in 1969, now on the grave it says 1987, so do i presume that the one person born by that name in 1894 is the wrong person ? I thought maybe he lied to his wife ? when i wrote to my cousin i asked her why the dates where different, along with other questions it went unanswered.
The micro films have arrived and i have been looking through them, am back again in morning..nothing so far..
Am at a loss as to why my cousin wont give me the answers i want. I only want to know his birthday and the date he died.
Am feeling a bit emotional today, sorry Vee
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Are you sure you have the right comune?

Alicia
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Alicia,
My cousin told me he was born, lived and died in Camogli, on the crew lists i have with his name on some of those it also says Camogli, and i wrote to Camogli...the only thing i can come up with at the moment is maybe he married twice, but then that wouldnt account for his death being registered in Camogli as 1969 instead of 1987 as it says on his grave. I think the answers will be in the micro films. You have got me thinking though maybe he was born in Ruta or San Rocco, am not sure if they are separate communes i presumed they where part of Camogli...
Thanks Alicia :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Marrying twice was common. There was not medical knowledge like there is today. Today if we have a fever we pop a Tylenol and we are ok. Back then a fever was dreaded because it killed many. I found out through putting the pieces of the puzzle together that two of my great grandparents were married twice. Their first spouse died and they remarried. When they met they both lost their first spouse and started a new life with each other

Alicia
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

After taking a step back and looking through every piece of paper i have about my dad and eliminating things my cousin told me, looks like my cousin miss informed me, i now think i know where he was born, and it was not Camogli, but Santa Margherita, i also think i know his birthday, after going through 50 years of crew list i found one with his date of birth on 10th of August ...so i am now about to write to commune.
Thank you all for your help and advise Vee
carolinechurch
Veteran
Veteran

Post by carolinechurch »

Hi Heinz, you'll get there yet!
And what a wonderful place to have come from - that's where I've spent several wonderful holidays, and had the best gnocchi on the planet.
BigVee
Rookie
Rookie

Post by BigVee »

Hi Caroline,
Thanks , i though Camogli was the most beautiful place on this planet, i never got as far as Santa Margherita, i could kick myself now. That whole area around Recco, Portofino, San Rocco is stunning. I shall be back there in September i shall make a point of trying their gnocchi :).

Take care Vee , ( Heinz )