Why do I keep seeing a trend of different birth dates...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Why do I keep seeing a trend of different birth dates...

Post by DeFilippis78 »

I have gotten a few birth certificates from Italy on my ancestors. And all of them have a different date of birth then what they celebrated here in America. And I know I have the right person. Is there an explanation for this?

Alicia
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Why do I keep seeing a trend of different birth dates...

Post by misbris »

Yes,

Illiteracy, bureaucratic mistakes, bad memories, guesses by other family members, indifference. The date on the Italian birth certificates is the official one, anything from this country could be wrong.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Different by a few days? Months? Years?

If a few days or weeks, my guess would be the difference between when the birth actually occurred vs when it was reported/registered to the comune officials /or/ the date of baptism.

Another important point is that most of our ancestors were illiterate when they arrived in the US, not only unable to speak/read/write english but also unable read/write italian. These people probably never had a written copy of their own birth certificate and had only oral history to tell them when they were born. When they entered the US, even if a clerk wrote their date of birth incorrectly, the immigrant often was unable to recognize the error.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

On two relatives certificates its off by a few months. On another its off by 2 years compared to the date of birth on his death certificate. The one ancestor has a birth certificate of 1860 but on the death certificate it says he was born in 1862.

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Alicia

Death certs are not considered a primary source for proof of any event other than death. The information is only as reliable as the person providing it. Then the informant may face the same difficulties, as well as grief and feel a pressure from an official to provide information they may not be 100% certain about.

Debbie
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Debbie,

The issue is the death certificate and birth certificate have a different date of birth and Im seeing that as a potential problem with the consulate. I was told by a very miserable person in Trenton I can amend it. But I was thinking not to bring the death certificate at all and give it only if they specifically ask for it. After all, its obvious he is deceased being he was born in 1860. I shouldnt have to prove he died.What do you think?

Alicia
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I have no help to offer regarding the consulate. I would remind them that the person named on the death cert was deceased and thus not able to offer the correct information. The informant, overcome with grief, provided the best recollection of a date, considering the circumstances.

I was just trying to point out how death certs are considered as far as primary or secondary sources by genealogists.

Dealing with the NJ state workers at vital records is such fun - NOT.

Debbie
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Thanks Debbie. They sure are a boat load of fun at vital records, lol!

Alicia
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Europeans record a date in alphabetical order (Day Month Year) In North America it is more common to write it Month Day Year. This would give you several months or days difference.
Older Italians often celebrated their Saint day rather than their birthday.
Also for many Italians the baptism date is more important than the actual birth date.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
tessy21

Post by tessy21 »

Alicia....the birth certificate you received may be one of a child born prior to your ancestor ...when that child died, they name a subsequent child with the same given name "to carry on the legacy"...when the person who searched the records for you may have just stopped at the first child birthdate.....I have researched one of my ancestors and have discovered that three infants were given the same name....two died prior to the birth of the true ancestor i was researching.....Tessy21
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Alicia,
All of the reasons given are very true. Unfortunately, most of my ancestors were illiterate and my journey has been very bumpy as a result.
As an example, my grandmother Antonia was preceded by another Antonia born 2 years earlier and subsequently died before my gm's birth. When she went to have her birth act transcribed for her matrimoni, the official transcribed the record of the earlier baby. Since neither she nor her relatives could read, it was not proofed. I am probably the 1st person to uncover the mistake that happened over 100 years ago. At any rate, if I qualified for dual citizenship, (which I don't) I presume I would face the same dilemma.
I hope the consulate is convinced you have the correct birth certificate. And, I agree, you shouldn't have to prove the truth of the informant on the death record. My gm's death record (in U.S.) doesn't even have her correct name (or birth date) because my gf was the informant. It drove me crazy. Fortunately, I am only using info for genealogy research.

Much luck at the consulate.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.