Francesco Perrotta 1st birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Francesco Perrotta 1st birth

Post by oilman19 »

Hi,
If I have interpreted the attached document correctly, this is the person whose birth record I have been seeking. It would also mean that 9 years later, as mentioned in my other Francesco Perrotta thread, a baby was still born and given the same name. I am trying to understand this practice. I have never seen it before. Was it an Italian practice? Or, have I misinterpreted something.
As usual, I am confused. :?

Thanks for your help.

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... th1878.jpg
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Francesco Perrotta 1st birth

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

This is a birth record from SMCV for Francesco Perrotta,
born at 10:10 Am on 24 August 1878 at the house on Via Perrella (sp?).
Father was Domenico Perrotta, 36, farmer
Mother was Angela Rosa Iannotta, his wife

Notation on left speaks of Francesco's marriage on 27 November 1902 to Teresa (?) Tamburrino.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

As to your question about naming...
I have seen cases where more than one child is given the same first name with different middle names. That doesn't seem to be the case here. It does seem unusual, and we'll probably never know the reason behind it.

:-(

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi T,
I am relieved I finally found this record. Aside from the obvious question about the still born child, is there any way to determine if the marriage occurred in S.M.? I was not able to determine that info.

Thank you for your help.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

It does look like the notation says that is was #118
in S. Maria CV.

T.

Edited to correct # of marriage
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

If it has an index number, that would mean it must have occurred in S.M.?
They emigrated to U.S. in 1902 and I could not determine where they were married.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, it looks like it is written "118 in S. Maria CV" although the CV is a bit scribbly...

Is Francesco's wife "Teresa?"

T.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I just keep on learning. It's great! Finding this record today was 1/2 of a "eureka" moment. I was starting to question the accuracy of my material. So, at the very least, it was a relief.

Many thanks,

Jim
Jim

Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Prego!

:-D

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
As to the naming of the second Francesco even though the first was not deceased-my husband's grandfather was the first born son in 1891 and given the name Vincenzo. The couple had a third son in 1906 and also named him Vincenzo, even though the first Vincenzo was not deceased. At first I thought there was an error in the records, as the couple had a daughter named Vincenza in 1904 who died at the age of 2 1/2 months the same year. So I thought it likely they would have named another daughter Vincenza. But both the 1906 birth record for Vincenzo and his death record in 1921 list him as masculine and his name clearly has an o and not an a at the end of it in both records. So either the town clerks made a big mistake in both records (and they were different town clerks, so I find it hard to believe that both would have made the same error), or the couple did name two of their sons Vincenzo, even though the first one was still alive and lived into the 1940s. As T said, it's just something for which you will never get a reason. Just a side note for possible future reference, one odd thing that I have read is that sometimes families had town clerks record the birth of a male child as a female to avoid military service for that child when that child was of age of military age. This has nothing to do with your specific question, but don't be surprised if you come across this in future records.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,
Thank you so much for that insight. I thought, as you did, that I might have made an error. It bothered me because I kept reviewing my info and coming back with the same answers. Since I had not encountered that circumstance before, it really seemed strange to me.
I am relieved to finally get an answer, although I have to admit I don't really understand why they would intentionally create the confusion that ensues.
You have been very helpful.
Thank you,

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
You're welcomed. There are so many strange things in these Italian records to which we will never had definitive answers. My cousin has in his ancestry a child who died in Italy at 7 months. The child's name was Alessandro, although in that Italian town, which was Stigliano, he had Nicola as his middle name on his birth record The family then had a Francesco in 1889 and another Francesco in 1896. Both Francescos came to the U.S. Neither had the name Alessandro as part of their name even though the first was given 4 middle names at birth, and the second Francesco was given two middle names at birth, But again none of these was the name Alessandro. Yet the first Francesco in the U.S. was called Alex, and even entered this country under the name of Alessandro, and no one knew until I located the birth records that his name was actually Francesco. How he got away with entering the country under a name that wasn't on his birth record is beyond me. The only thing my cousin and I thought was that perhaps there had been some kind of amendment to the first Francesco's original birth record after the child Alessandro died changing the name of the first Francesco to Alessandro, but I never could find a record to support this theory and I did all of the films for the town, as well as many of the province microfilms.
Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Peg,
I have run into some questionable practices with my ancestors, but I simply could not make sense of this one. Some of the other ones occurred in U.S. making my jump to Italy much more difficult. I never knew my ancestral town nor the correct spelling of of my GF's name. Every time he was witness to an event, his name changed. I eventually became very forgiving, attributing most issues to illiteracy.
It has definitely become an eye opener for me. I try not to over react, but I do try to find answers where they may be available. People like you have helped the cause by explaining traditions that seem strange to me.
I am just so excited to get a look at as much of the past as is possible. I am hooked.

Jim
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
Genealogy research is very addictive, to say the very least, and full of enigmas. You always hope that a subsequent record will solve some of the mysteries, but often they just complicate things further. Anyway, I'm glad you're hooked on this research and making such good progress with it. Even though I have been at it since 1997, I still get excited every time I get a new piece of information.
Peg