Is there a family document in Italy that shows the name of..

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Borsalino

Is there a family document in Italy that shows the name of..

Post by Borsalino »

... the name of one's parents? The "stato di famiglia/ civile" doesn't show that i think... it only shows where one lives, the name of the spouse and children...right? so is there anything else?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Is there a family document in Italy that shows the name

Post by PeterTimber »

The Certificato di Stato di Famiglia is a family certificate showing the date and place of birth of each family member and obtained from the UFFICIO ANAGRAFE (registry office-Census) of the pertinent Comune (city, town or village with that status). =Peter=
~Peter~
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

ok...but thatsno what I'm asking for... I'm gonna try and make myself clearer
example: If I have a stato di famiglia in italy, does it show the name of my parents?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

If you parents are living with you yes, but if your parents are living by themself in another house no...
Just for example, If I ask a "stato di famiglia" for me it will show my name, and my husband name, and eventually children names. There is no mention on who our parents are...

Maybe you're referring to a "Stato di famiglia Storico"?

Laura
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

ciao Laura, yes I guess thats it, stato di famiglia storico...
but does it mention the name of my parents, for example if my father is not italian but my mother is, will both there names be mentioned? and if they are both deceased too... thanks
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

I'm sorry because it's in Italian but this site dos explain well all the certificates:

http://www.homeonline.it/certificato_famiglia

Il Certificato Storico Stato di Famiglia è un documento specifico che contiene le informazioni relative alla composizione del nucleo familiare risalente ad una data pregressa

The "Certificato Storico Stato di famiglia" is a specific document who contains the informations pertaining the composition of the Family unit date back to a specific date (that you must give when you ask it)
So for example you have to ask this certificate to a date when your parents were all living and lived in the same family unit....
I don't know if I am enough clear, it's difficult for me to explain these "tecnic" questions..
.... I can ask a stato di famiglia storico for my great-Grandparents at the date of 1920 (for example).. they will fill a Certificate were all the members of the family at the date of 1920 were living in the same family unit....

Laura
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

Oh thanks, io capisco l'italiano :)
I understand... I don't think this will help then... because the problem is they never lived in the same household in Italy...
so is there any other document that shows the whole family tree, or at least one's parents?
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Oh... meno male..... quindi, lo stato di Famiglia storico si può richiedere ad una determinata data ma di una famiglia costituita.... quindi se i tuoi non vissero mai insieme non credo sia possibile formare per loro tale documento....
Però lo potresti chiedere per ognuno di loro singolarmente... tieni presente che ha anche un costo (per ogni persona listata) che mi sembra di ricordare possa essere abbastanza elevato...

Laura
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

penso che sia una cosa molto complicata allora... ma uffa xke si paga anche per averlo?? vediamo, grazie per avermi informato di tutto.

Joe
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The estratto di nascita (birth record extract) will contain parents names+ date of their marriage and mothers maiden name since females retain their identity in Italy. Also included are marginal notes, if any, hour of birth, name of hospital if any.

You can also request a Atto Integrale di nascita which is photocopy of the original with more specific information (divorce, deaths, marriage comune of registration of the birth etc) accompanied by ID for the person involved or an act conferring the right of someone else to apply for this document.

http://www.homeonline.it/doc.cfm/53/cer ... di_nascita is the relevant website which also has the application to submit in it with the FEES.
=Peter=
~Peter~
Borsalino

Post by Borsalino »

what if my mother was italian, but my father wasn't, and I was born outside Italy, but came back later and lived there, and assume I am an italian citizen too... where could my mother's name appear? any document that would mention it?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Your getting complicated. As Laura and I pointed out to you the criteria is the members of the family residing in one household regardless of their background. The certificate shows the name, and date and place of birth of each family member depending upon the year or approximate year you are researching.

Now to satisfy any lingering doubts or recent changes you may want to write to the UFFICIO ANAGRAFE in the relating Comune for any other information they can provide you. =Peter=
~Peter~
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you live in Italy you must register with a town as a resident. You don't have to live there but most do. It is necessary in order to vote or receive other government services. Most towns at that time had a system of personal index cards that did show the parents names.
It is called 'scheda personale'.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Ann give yourself a raise..! =Peter=
~Peter~
donnawright
Elite
Elite

Post by donnawright »

I received a nice group of "Scheda Individuale" and I learned quite a bit. I cannot get documents out of Sorano no matter what I do, but a kind person went to another comune where I learned my family was connected somehow, but I did not know how. This person got Scheda Individuale documents containing my surname and here's what I got from Scheda....

When they immigrated to that comune from Sorano, when they left that comune, where they went when they left, that person's date of birth and where (even tho not in that comune), parents name of the person being registered in the comune, date of marriage if it occurred in the comune holding the Scheda, spouse name, local addresses, a relative died there and it told me he was taken to Orbetello (I think..I need a little help with this one). I was able to put together a family group sheet for the first time containing all of these formerly unknown people. Such a treat!

Does anyone know if these Scheda are on LDS microfilms? They have all been useful, but a couple are loaded with info. If anyone wants to see a really nice one, PM me and I'll email to you.

My Calabrian comune has so far sent me two Stato di Famiglia,
The first one I requested was for the household of my grandfather and it also offered his mother's name - I assume from that she lived in his house. It took six months to get it, but I'm happy. Then I sent for one for his father, my gg, and it gave me the names, DOB, DOD of their children == my grandfather and his siblings - none of whom I knew about before this. Two of the names have dashes in the column where the DOD is for the others. I assume from this that they moved away from the comune. I'm going to request the Scheda for these two and see what comes of it. The second Stato di Famiglia took 4 months to arrive.

If there is any other search strategy, please offer it.

Donna
Looking for Biagianti, Modesti & Vincenti in Tuscany and Tomaino, Curcio, Mazza, & Rizzo in Calabria