Salerno- Lucia and or Delaro

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Salerno- Lucia and or Delaro

Post by AmyT »

Hi, I'm new around here and doing some research on my family history.. although probably everyone that comes here is.

I have the history (mostly) from the point that my g-g grandfather Pasquale "Pap" Lucia stowed away to America. Still putting pieces together. What I don't have is a clear account of his life before this.

I've heard a few conflicting stories two of which I've heard repeated a few times: He abandon a wife and three children in Salerno and ran off to America. The other being: He was engaged to Mary Louise Delaro and stowed away to get to America to marry her. (this one sounds way too romantic to be real)

I also wanted more history on Mary Louise, but I think that may take more than just a few inquiries here and there.

I'll be reading through the forums to see how other newbies were answered when they asked "How do I start putting this together?" In the mean time if anyone has any helpful advice or information I would love to hear it!
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Salerno- Lucia and or Delaro

Post by ptimber »

Buy the book Italian Genealogical records by Traford R. Cole whichis an easy read and will set you on the right path. You need to work backwards from the USA, hopfully thru ellisisland.org website and find the orginal entry of your ancestor his place of origin and year of birth which is what is vital,basic and necessary inorder to know about whatever you want to know. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

This does sound like an interesting family to research.

I found 3 census records of a Pasquale Lucia

Pasquale
Wife Louise

Children Mike, Joseph, Louis, Annie, Grace, Rose, Mary, Patesy?, May, Wade

Pasquale and Maria
Kids..Angelo, unknown, Eugene, Mary, Antonio...

The other Pasquale was married to a Jennie...(Giovanna?)

Lucia, Pasquale Oakland, Alameda, CA 1868 Italy White
Lucia, Pasquale Springfield, Hampden, MA 1876 Italy White
Lucia, Pasquale Georges, Fayette, PA 1867 Italy White

If any of these seem like a close match, I can supply you the rest of the information... but we do need more info from you as well... :)

One couple did make 2 trips to America...

mfjp
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

dear MFJP she wants to go back before his entry into the USA so what are you doing furnishing all sorts of information when all she wants to know is his place of origin in Italy and his descendants back in time not forward into the USA. You obviously luike to hear your self write. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Just in case you didn't know, census records also tell you when time of entry was made. That narrows things down a bit.

mfjp
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Obviously. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

mfjp-- Yep.. Those are the 10 kids.
*correction*

Mary is the twin with Rose. Mary is the one still living in Ohio.

I can't imagine having born 10 kids including one set of twins..

Louis is my great grandfather.. So you hit the nail on the head!
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter,

My grandfather came here illegaly so would the Ellis Island thing help where he is concerned?
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

No but how do you know for certain he came here illegally?? ou can always file a form 81 with NARA (www.NARA.gov and search for form request,obtaina copy and send it to NARA. Form 81 covers all legal entries into the USA from 1820 to 1957. Give it a shot you never know. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way I thought you were interested in tracing your family in Italy and not finding your family here in the USA. Go back and read what you orignally said you wanted to know?? peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

By the way I thought you were interested in tracing your family in Italy and not finding your family here in the USA. Go back and read what you orignally said you wanted to know?? peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

I am interested in tracing my family in Italy, yes.

Any info I may not have though about them in the US is welcome as well, but not my main goal!

I know he came here illegally because he only told family members and when he died it was in his eulogy (sp?) about how he had stowed away on a freight boat.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Just because he said that does not mean that is the way it happened!! remember never to overlook the obvious. Check it out and be certain. he could have been anincurable romantic and saw it that way. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter~

For clarity, my Great-Aunt Mary has alzheimer's, and doesn't remember much. I believe she is the last of the 10 living, and my own grandfather knows only so much. All of it is getting a little jumbled these days and I fully and completely regret not having taken the time 10 years ago to do this with him.

~Amy
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter,

:lol: You SOOOOO very right! Among the moonshiners and mafia ties could be a lot of romance...

(I seriously doubt the mafia stories)

I'm checking it all out now.. :P

~Amy