surname: Pronati

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

surname: Pronati

Post by Seraphina »

I hope someone can help me with the following:-

I have found the following names on Ancestry as immigration (but cannot find them on Ellis Island site), censuses or deceased, but as I do not subscribe to Ancestry, I wondered if someone could find the info I am looking for, i.e, places of origin, names of parents etc.

The surnames are all Pronati :-

Maria, immigrant into New York.
Antonina, immigrant into New York.
Libario, " " "
Filippo, " " "

Vittoria, immigrant into San Francisco 1893 / 1950
Joseph J (Giuseppe) " "

Theresa, deceased California 1948

Ida, (born 1883) Census 1920 Crenshaw, Alabama

I hope I am not asking too much, but would welcome some help with these.

Seraphina
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: surname: Pronati

Post by maestra36 »

I also do not have a subscription to ancestry, but I can see info from the 1920 census (the images are not there though) on familysearchlabs.org

Head of household-Burk Pronati, estimated year of birth, 1888, age 32, born in Alabama, residence Bradleyton Township Precinct, Crenshaw, Alabama, head of household, male, black married

Ida Pronati, est year of birth, 1883, age 37, born in Alabama, wife, female, black, married-same residence as above, wife

Callie Pronati-same residence as above, est year of birth 1903, age 17, born in Alabama, female, black, single, daughter
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

from California death index
http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/death/search.cgi

Theresa Pronati b. 1/8/1865, father's last name Maldonado, born in Mexico, died in San Francisco 10/6/1948 at age 83
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Joseph J Pronati

b. 7/25/1884

Mother's maiden name: Manassero died in San Francisco 4/16/1948 at age 63

info from California death index
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Maestra36,

Many thanks for the information you provided.
Have you any idea where I could find out exactly where Joseph J Pronati originated from in Italy?

I don't know where Burk Pronati fits into the family - and I am not making a racist comment here - but it was a surprise. I wonder where I can find out about his parents.

Thanks again. Seraphina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I only see one person from the town of Avellino with the surname Pronati on an Ellis Island passenger list. I don't even see the surname in the current Italian white pages online for any town in Italy. I am wondering if the spelling of the original name changed, but I have no idea what it would have been.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

http://www.cdph.ca.gov/certlic/birthdea ... fault.aspx

This is to order death records after the year 1905 from California. I don't know if Joseph's death record would have his place of birth. Hopefully someone will retrieve the passenger lists for you from ancestry.com, but I suspect that, if they are pre-Ellis Island, then they will not have a town in Italy on them.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You might also be able to get the record through Vital Check on ancestry.com. If you search the name in the California death index at

http://vitals.rootsweb.ancestry.com/ca/death/search.cgi

You can then click on the option to order the record.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

For Vittoria's sailing, most of the "page 2" manifest sheets seem to be missing. However, on page 1 you can see that Vittoria was born in Algeria and last permanent residence was Turkey.

According to the index (below), she was coming to meet "Josef Pronati". Makes one wonder, perhaps Josef was Algerian as well?

Name: Vittoria Pronati
Arrival Date: 7 Dec 1934
Birth Date: abt 1880
Birthplace: Guelma, Algeria
Ethnicity: North Italian (Italian)
Ship Name: Feltre
Port of Arrival: San Francisco, California
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Destination: Ginoa, Italy
Last Residence: Turkey
Friend's Name: Josef Pronati
Archive information (series:roll number): M1410:310
Carmine

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

For the 1912 manifest, you can view a really nice copy of it from the stevemorse.org website

go to where it says missing manifests and put in the date July 12, 1912, T715, roll 1897, frame 383. The second page is in frame 382. The family came from Partanna.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

58 year old Franceca traveling with her was an Aiello. The other surname looks like it might have been Bondi but was transcribed as Pronati
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Many thanks for all your replies.
Fortunately, I do know the town in northern Italy where my ancestors came from, but I am trying to tie in those emigrants to the US with the information I already have.

I have in my possession copy birth certs for my grandmother's uncles and aunts - and I know they didn't emigrate - so I am trying to find out exactly whose children the emigrants were.

Once again, thanks for all your assistance.
Seraphina
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Francesca Aiello was traveling with Filippo, Liborio, Antonina, and a niece by the name of Vincenza Russo. Francesa Aiello's mother in Partanna was Lorenza Triolo.