surname Incerto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mtesquire

surname Incerto

Post by mtesquire »

Hi there...I'm new to this forum. I have been doing a lot of research trying to trace my father's family. Unfortunately, the last name is INCERTO!!! Oh yes, you know, the word that means uncertain...the same word that they put when they didn't know the actual last name? Needless to say, it hasn't been easy...

Here is the info I have been able to come up with. My grandfather was Domenico Giuseppe Incerto aka Domenick Incerto...born 4/22/1879 in Scilla, Calabria. He was baptised at Parrocchia Arcipetale "Maria SS.ma Immacolata". Father was Rocco Incerto. I can't make out the writing on the baptism certificate very well, but the mother's name looks like Grazia Barbiera. He arrived in NY on 6/8/1895 on the Algeria.

I have the info that is available in the US for my grandfather. Any other information at all from Italy would be greatly appreciated!!!!! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: surname Incerto

Post by suanj »

By Mormon's microfilms, you can try all civil records:
Topic Italy, Reggio di Calabria, Scilla - Civil registration

Titles Registri dello stato civile, 1809-1910 Scilla (Reggio di Calabria). Ufficio dello stato civile
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... umns=*,0,0
hoping helpful,
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
aliza24
Veteran
Veteran

Post by aliza24 »

That stinks, mtesquire. You can look up the Italian stato civile records. Maybe there is more info. there. They usually have more details than the church records.

The films for your town are available from 1809-1910. Your grandfather's birth record should be there.

Suanj is right- you need to order the films from you local family history center (FHC).

Go to: www.familysearch.org
LIBRARY =>LIBRARY CATALOG=>PLACE SEARCH=>

Then type in the town name up top and Italy down below.

Keep clicking on your town until you see VIEW FILM NOTES top right corner. Click on that and you'll have a list of films available for your town.

Write down the film #'s you want. Then go look for your nearest FHC (also under library tab).

Aliza
mtesquire

Post by mtesquire »

Thank you both so much for your help. I was able to find the film number, and will be calling the center tomorrow about getting them. I have no doubt I'll be back on here as soon as I get them looking for some help in translating.

Thanks again!!!! ;)
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

Incerto or Infausto !!!
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
mtesquire

Post by mtesquire »

Definitely Incerto...as far as I know...lol ;)
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

Thanks for the clarification! I know Americans who have roots in Scilla Sicily, named INFAUSTO , which more or less is strange as INCERTO, . I am sorry that has nothing to do with you
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

can you upload a copy of the baptism record using a program such as photoshack.com for us to see?

I suspect that some male direct line individual of Domenico's was of uncertain parentage and that Incerto was then just used as his last name which got passed down to his descendants.

This website may, at some point, prove helpful to you.

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

The database is not complete, as far as I know, but there is information from various Calabrian towns. You just need to create a username and password to use this website. You can do a search of Incerto and see all that comes up and even view some of the actual records.
mtesquire

Post by mtesquire »

Totonno - NP...thanks anyway ;)

maestra36 - Thanks so much for your reply. I will definitely check out the site and see what I can find. Here is a copy of the certificate I have...

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks for uploading the image. This record is an estratto, or extract, so not much information is given. You have the parents' names correct. The madrina, or godmother, may or may not have been related to the family. If you had been sent a photocopy of the baptism record from the parish book of baptisms, you may have seen that other infants listed before or after this one may have had the same godmother. Often the godmother selected was the midwife who delivered the infant, as she had developed a close relationship with the family and then stayed in the home after the child's birth to help the new mother. Also the new mother was not permitted to go into the church until 40 days had passed, which was a purification period for her, so she wasn't present at the baptism. I think the surname of the madrina is Zumbo, but I don't see anyone from the town with that surname in the current white pages for the town, nor do I see anyone who came through Ellis Island from that town with that surname.