Can anyone tell me about Santa Maria Capua Vetere?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Can anyone tell me about Santa Maria Capua Vetere?

Post by lljg »

Hi everyone! As I mentioned in the last forum, I am new to this site and I just began researching about my ancestors. I know that my Mom's family was from Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania, Italy. If I am wrong about any of this information, it's because I only knew that they were from Santa Maria, Italy and then I learned more from the web!

Can anyone tell me anything about this town? Does anyone know how I can get records from there (birth, marriage, etc.)?

Thank you and God Bless You for reading this and being willing to assist me!
Jean
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Can anyone tell me about Santa Maria Capua Vetere?

Post by maestra36 »

There are microfilmed records for the town available for rental through a local LDS (Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter Day Saints) family history center. You can find the location of their centers on their website: www.familysearch.org

The records on microfilm are in Italian and can be difficult to read. There are some others on this forum doing research from this town with some of their records posted throughout this forum. You need to post what surnames from this town you are researching. Maybe you did this in a previous post, but you started a new thread here and the surnames do not appear.

The town has an official website, but it is in Italian-

http://www.comune.santa-maria-capua-vet ... /entra.asp
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thank you very much for giving me this information. I just found out about the family history centers and I plan to get there ASAP!

As for the surnames, I am so new to this forum that I didn't know where to put my questions. But, I will put the surnames here, and if I need to do it elsewhere, please let me know.

Thank you again! :D

Jean

SURNAMES I AM SEARCHING FOR: MUNNO (MY GREAT-GREAT GRANDMOTHER WAS NAMED MARIA AND I FOUND FROM THE PASSENGERS LIST THAT SHE HAD A BROTHER NAMED ANTONIO). I AM ALSO WANTING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT MY VOLLERO (BUT IT WAS SPELLED VOLLARO ON HIS PASSENGERS LIST -- THIS WAS MY GREAT-GREAT GRANDFATHER, UMBERTO. I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT HIS FAMILY.)
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Much information on your thread in Italian Genealogy.

Here is a link to the SMCV webiste. To translate page click on the flag at the top right of the screen.
http://www.comune.santa-maria-capua-vet ... /entra.asp

T. :-)

EDIT: OOOPS! sorry about the duplication...
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Thanks! I was going to be working on translation -- somehow!!

Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

lljg wrote: ...
Can anyone tell me anything about this town?
Some detail and helpful links here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_Capua_Vetere
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,
As you can tell from my avatar and signature, all of my research has been in the town of Santa Maria Capua Vetere. I have about 8-10 microfilms on permanent loan at the LDS center. So far, I have not seen any common names for you and I, but my whole maternal ancestry is in S.M. If I can be of any help, please let me know.
After you look at the catalog of films, please let me know what numbers you will be seeking. If I have the film, I would be happy to do some research for you.
You are the 1st person I have found on the forum who will be doing extensive research in "my" town. This is exciting. Maybe we will even find a common name along the way.
Where are you posting from? If you don't wish to make it public, you may send me a PM with the info. I guess what I am most interested is whether you are in the same locale as I am.
I want to wish you well in your researching endeavors. You will never regret selecting this forum for guidance. It is not likely you could find a more dedicated group of "willing to help" genealogists than exist on this forum. They are the best.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim,

It's exciting to know that your maternal family is from SMCV!! I just began my journey in finding more about my family - especially my Italian family!! My maternal family is from Italy. Actually, along with the Vollero (or Vollaro as it was spelled on the New York Passengers List) and Munno, I am also searching for Rauso. But I am FIRST focused on Munno and Vollero! I don't know if you can check out my family tree on ancestry.com or not, but if you can, all of the information I have is on there. My tree is under the "Rusnack Family Tree," with the owner being jarisko. I'm from Pittsburgh, PA, not CT. Too bad. It would be nice to talk more. But we can at least do it here. I love this site so far. These people have been wonderful to me, very welcoming. I can see that they truly care about assisting others in learning about their ancestors. I will be going to the local Family Center asap. Although I'm from Pittsburgh (and that will always be my home!) I am currently living in York, PA. I have no idea what their Family Center will be like. Is it possible that my ancestors are on the microfilms you have?? I'll keep you posted! Thanks for the message!!! Good luck on your journey as well!!
Jean
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Jean,
Yes, it is quite possible. When you look at the library catalog of films for S.M., you will find they are categorized by birth, deaths, matrimoni's, etc. These will be broken down by years or groups of years. You will need to familiarize yourself with the Italian terms regarding these events, so you can focus on a specific time period.
Right or wrong, I ordered films I thought contained info I needed, but then ended up scrutinizing each film for info I did not know was contained in them. The principle names I was researching were not real common in S.M., so if I found one, I would scan it for possible use now or in the future. As an example, I recently found a record that linked a whole host of people to my tree. Up to that point, I simply knew they were connected but needed the one link to prove my theories.
I will send you my list of films and if there is a record you are seeking on one of them, I would be glad to research it for you. This can save you some time and money. However, if you are anal like me, you may eventually end up with practically all of the films on S.M. to be sure you haven't missed anything. I am presently ordering films that I think will have the most vital info for my tree at the moment. Frequently, I stumble upon additional info that I need (such as a morti) but did not know where to look for it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are a lot of microfilms for S.M.
Let me know if I can streamline your process for you.
I currently do not have ancestry (I do access it at my local library). I have never looked up a family tree and don't know if the "library" edition permits that. I'm still a rookie at this but learning fast.
I'm not sure about Vollero, but the other names you mention seem to be pretty common in S.M. I have seen them often. S.M. is a fairly large town (approx. 700 births/yr.) Without specific accurate dates, you will be looking at thousands of records. You may only view the films at the LDS center and only when they are open (based upon volunteer librarians available and film rental traffic). I am fortunate to have a center where there are other Italian researchers who help each other when needed. It has been a wonderful journey so far. I hope you experience as many eureka moments as I have.
Good luck on your first venture to the LDS center.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi Jim,
Would you like to communicate via email? This may be easier. Thank you so much for your information. I'm a rookie at this too who is going CRAZY! (in a good way!) I was just at a local cemetary yesterday and found out more information and make a connection with someone who grew up next to some of my Vollero relatives! What a true gem! I can't wait to talk with any of them.

But as for the microfilms, great send me a list. I'll send you a PM with my email.

Thanks again Jim!! Hopefully both of our journeys will be very fruitful!!

Take care,
Jean
Jean

Researching ancestors/relatives from/in Santa Maria Capua Vetere (and possibly other parts of Italy) - surnames: Vollero/Vollaro, Munno, Russo, de Rosa, Rauso, Santora, Longo
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi again Jean!

Jim has asked me to send you a link to assist you in document extraction.

http://static.immigrants.byu.edu/Downlo ... efault.htm

Good luck!

T.
lljg
Rookie
Rookie

Post by lljg »

Hi again Tessa!

Thank you -- once again -- SO VERY, VERY MUCH!! And thank you Jim!! Everyone on this forum I have "met" has been so wonderful to me. Thank you. You are a blessing from God.

Jean
Jean

Rachis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rachis »

Oilman19
My maternal grandmother had the surname shawl. Was S. Maria Capua Vetere like my parents.
If you want to contact me, send me an MP.

Rachis
Rachis
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rachis »

Oilman19
My maternal grandmother had the surname SCIALLA. Was S. Maria Capua Vetere like my parents.
If you want to contact me, send me an MP.

Rachis
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Hi Rachis,
I sent you a PM.
BTW, would I have traveled through Bergamo when going up to Balzano? I really enjoyed my visit to Alps. I can't remember all of the towns we went through. :)

Jim
Jim