Di Salvos from Molise

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
thespinydogfish

Di Salvos from Molise

Post by thespinydogfish »

I'm just getting started with this long, convoluted process. I know my mother's family are Di Salvos from Campobasso. I have no other leads to go on, no towns, nothing. They came from the province of Campobasso and settled in Uniontown, PA.

where do I start????!!!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Di Salvos from Molise

Post by johnnyonthespot »

The Italian telephone directory ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0 ) lists just 10 Di Salvo's in the province of Campobasso, spread across five comuni.

It is as good a place to start as any.

Do you have any idea when the Di Salvo's emigrated to the US? Full names and birth years as well as the names of children/siblings, might enable us to locate immigration records and thus narrow down the origin point.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
thespinydogfish

Thanks, Johnny. I'll begin there. My great grandfather was Nick Di Salvo. He emigrated in 1910. I believe.

Where in Ct. do you live? I grew up in Fairfield County.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Would he have been around 16 years old at the time?

Nicola Di Salvo manifest, Page 1 (line 10)

Nicola Di Salvo manifest, Page 2

I am in Waterbury (New Haven County). I was actually born and raised in Harrison, NY and also lived for many years in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
thespinydogfish

johnnyonthespot wrote:Would he have been around 16 years old at the time?

Nicola Di Salvo manifest, Page 1 (line 10)

Nicola Di Salvo manifest, Page 2

I am in Waterbury (New Haven County). I was actually born and raised in Harrison, NY and also lived for many years in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area.
Actually, I believe he might have been! You're amazing. where did you find this?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

thespinydogfish wrote:Actually, I believe he might have been! You're amazing. where did you find this?
Nahh, I just try hard. :)

I have an Ancestry . com subscription. There are other Nicola De Salvo's who arrived about the same time (and of similar age), but this one specifically lists Campobasso as the last residence.

By the way, his name is on line 8 of course, not line 10 as I said above.
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

As you can see, the manifest says Nicola left behind his father, Giovanni, and was headed to Franklin, MA. Does that seem correct?
Carmine

thespinydogfish

johnnyonthespot wrote:As you can see, the manifest says Nicola left behind his father, Giovanni, and was headed to Franklin, MA. Does that seem correct?
Well, actually he ended up in Uniontown, PA. I don't know whether he landed in MA or not. That might not be correct.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Of course, he was only 16. Page 2 looks to me like it says he was joining a friend (Agostino de Baggio?) in Franklin, MA. Considering his age, that may simply have been a convenient entry into the US and he may have later settled in PA.

You need to try to tie down his year of birth and, if at all possible, his father's name. That would help with deciding whether this is the correct manifest.

Campobasso, by the way, is both the name of a province and also of its capital city.
Carmine

thespinydogfish

johnnyonthespot wrote:Of course, he was only 16. Page 2 looks to me like it says he was joining a friend (Agostino de Baggio?) in Franklin, MA. Considering his age, that may simply have been a convenient entry into the US and he may have later settled in PA.

You need to try to tie down his year of birth and, if at all possible, his father's name. That would help with deciding whether this is the correct manifest.

Campobasso, by the way, is both the name of a province and also of its capital city.
Tonight I'll check the info I have. I may have his birthday recorded somewhere. I knew that Campobasso was both a province and a city - that's part of the whole confusion I have about his origins.