Angotta/Angotto/Angotti

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Angotta/Angotto/Angotti

Post by Donald66 »

Looking for information on my Angotta ancestors.

See my website for my research to date: www.angotta.net
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Angotta/Angotto/Angotti

Post by PeterTimber »

It is difficult to determine what specific genealogy information you are seeking since your website appears to be a research lead to further research. Perhaps google.com can provide you with additonal facets for you to research and amplify your website. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

The goal of my search is to extend my family research as far back as possible as well as locate a familial connection to the 15th Century armiger.

The results posted on my website were obtained by my own research and 4 paid genealogist (1 in Spain, 1 in the USA, 1 in Sicily & 1 in Calabria).
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I have sent 2 letters to the parish priest in Rose, Cosenza, Calabria and my Italian researcher as visited him on 2 occasions. Sadly, the both the written request and personal visits have failed to illicit any cooperation on his part.

Is this lack of cooperation common or just a "Calabrese" thing!? :wink:
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

The local prelates have the last say in their parish churches. I suppose you offered to hire the local researcher (preferrably his nephew or other designated researcher at a fee of his choosing)? It had always been suggested by the Mormon church people to forward $15 to $20. for any church issued record. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

"Donations" were provided in person and by letter, but still no results.

Based on advice from researchers, I have now turned my efforts toward locating the armiger who was 1st granted the Angotta coat of arms. I have been in contact with members of the House of Savoy and House of Bourbon Two Sicilies, but neither has provided any assistance. It appears that no common register of Arms existed in Italy prior to the 1861 Unification.
PeterTimber wrote:The local prelates have the last say in their parish churches. I suppose you offered to hire the local researcher (preferrably his nephew or other designated researcher at a fee of his choosing)? It had always been suggested by the Mormon church people to forward $15 to $20. for any church issued record. =Peter=
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Angotta becomes Angotti?

Post by Donald66 »

On google language translator, my last name translates from Angotta in Italian to Angotti in English? Any ideas why??
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 14 Angotta distributed from Sicily to northern tier regions while there are 166 Angotti concentrated in different towns in Calabria and Lombardia/ Piemonte regions in www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi (currently) while www.familyhistory.org (historically) shows 1 Angotta in Puglia while bulk of Angotti is almost exclusively found in Cosenza Calabria....differencesd in spelling are variants or derivations.

The disparate geography for both spellings is interesting both currently and historically. Angotto is not current in Italy while historically all are in Zinga, Catanzaro Calabria.

There are references to the Angotta heraldic connection to Sicily from Galizia in Spain. There are 18 websites of heraldry for sicily. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Peter,

Thanks for the information.

I've actually received a letter from the Cosenza archives addressed to me as Mr. "Angotti" eventhough my name is clearly spelt as "Angotta" on my letterhead.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

It is understandable when so many towns in Cosenza province reflect Angotti and its almost a household spelling for the surname. I bet when they see Angotta they assume YOU are in error!!

Spain ruled Italy from 1550 to 1713 when the treatyof Utrecht established the Austrian Hapsburgs as Italy dominant power. By that time Angotti suffered the pangs of alterations. =Peter=
~Peter~
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Aside from the physical location, did Calabria Citra and Calabria Ultra have any cultural differences?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

I received an official copy of my parents marriage license from Florida and it has a gold seal in the bottom left corner. Is this the Apostille that I need?
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

Spoke with 3 Probate Court Offices in CT (including the Town were all of the "errors" originated) and none of them could help with resolving the name issues on my grandfather's and father's birth/death/marriage certificates.

The clerks stated that the names of the deceased cant be changed. We can "clarify" them with affidavits, but cant change them.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

My sister just got her birth certificate from 1955 & got a shock!

Her last name is spelled "Angotto" along with our fathers last name.

All of her other records & those of her children, list her last name as "Angotta" .

To further complicate matters, she changed all her records to her married name nearly 2 decades ago.

A call to the Town Clerk resulted in the following advice:

Change her name to "Angotto", then change it to "Angotta" then change it to her married name. She was also advised to make all of the changes to her marriage license and children's birth certificates as well.

As for our father's last name, she was told that nothing can be changed as CT law doesnt permit the changing of a dead person's name. If this is so, the records will never match up. Any thoughts?