Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Trying to find Burgo and Sparola??? Dead end-please help

Post by ptimber »

surnames have been known to be changed or altered so anything is possible. Peter
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Peter, thank you! means a great deal to me :D

swcolleen, my Grandmother was the youngest of about 15+ kids... so I can understand what you say about your own Grandmother... also saw the family trees at Ancestry .com, nice to see research done like this.

Can now review further as I had a battle going on here for the computers at home...

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Michele's manifest... which is hard to read...
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2699060576
First Name: Michele
Last Name: Burgo
Ethnicity: Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Salandra
Date of Arrival: October 12, 1903
Age at Arrival:  21y    Gender:  M    Marital Status:  S  
Ship of Travel: Victoria
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0006

Looks like he was going to his cousin Cesidio ?? (maybe Egidio?) Marttoccia’s home somewhere in PA.

As for the name Marttoccia (sp?), it seems to connect with the Burgo family

Here is a manifest of a “Agenzio Marttocciaâ€Â
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thank you!

mfjp I will check out those links...Maybe there is a way to pull it together. The family trees on ancestry are mostly my mom's work-she is good at this stuff and I am still trying to figure it all out. I have her looking too. I have focused on mainly the Dougherty-Burgo side of our trees and she did a lot on her side (Ameno).

I will check out those links and see what I can figure out. I am really appreciative of all the help.

I have off from work next week so I am hopnig to gather lots of info and put some puzzle together next week!!

Thanks!! I will go look at those sites now.

Colleen
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

I just remembered that my grandmother said that her father came over by being sponsored by his brother (michele) but she mentioned the word uncle as being here too and it could have been her uncle Michele or maybe an uncle they (michele and luigi) had here already??? Just brainstorming....
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

I think you best direction is to look for the marriage record of Antonia. It is a first source record, as she is providing the information herself. If she didn't read and write (as many didn't) at least the maiden name will be written as she pronounced it. YOu may get lucky with a manifest and find something you recognize, but it may take alot of wasted hours.

Debbie
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks! THat is what I have been thinking too-to try and locate the marriage records. I am jsut wondering if for sure they got married in camden or maybe philly...might try to call my grandmother today see if she recalls anything else.

I think according to one of the cencus, it says that she can read and write so hopefully that will guide me.
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Are there any resources (in english) that I could search for records from Salandra of birth and baptism?

I checked out the one site someone posted for me earilier and my friend in Italy is going to check it out for me since I can't read Italian but I wondered if anyone knew of some other good online resources?

thanks
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Here is a link to the 1910 census of Antonia and Luigi.
http://img26.exs.cx/img26/851/lburg19101vm.jpg

Maybe they were married in Camden. As Deb mentioned, ordering a copy of the marriage record would be a good idea. It would answer a few questions and also make a great keepsake.

Also you could order film at your local Family History Center since film for
Salandra - Civil registration does exist. 1910-1809.

If each basic Salandra birth, marriage, death document could be transcribed, you could still research this even though you can't read Italian. The hardest part would be reading the script... but in time it will be easier to read. I am sure you could get help from this forum as well.

I don't think there are english resources for these documents.

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

perhaps the surname is Saponara/o?

Post by suanj »

Hi: in Salandra sure are (and was) the surname Saponara/o and sure was some person with this surname, coming from Salandra, joining in Camden and also in Philadelphia... the soun is very similar.......
just an suggestion... suanj
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks for the info.

I actually just talked to my grandmother's cousin and I am going to try and organize my notes to see what new info I have vs what I already knew. I do have a friend in Italy who is going to check out that Italian Salandra site and see about helping me to order birth certificates.

I definatly want to see about getting the marriage certificate but it sounds like according to my grandmother that Luigi and Antonia maybe have been married in Philadelphia not Camden-yikes! I will keep digging!!

Thanks so much so far!!! once I have my notes together I will post them-put some pieces together and maybe someone will see something I missed!!

Thanks
swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

suanj
THank you! I will go look-it is possible if they sound similiar!!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

There are translation sites such as babelfish.altavista.com, to name but one. Type in or copy and paste the web addy, and you can then view the web page suanj sent in english. I have used this several times to read Italian web sites. Not the best translation, but enough to get by.

wldspirit
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

swcolleen
Rookie
Rookie

Post by swcolleen »

Thanks everyone. I am hoping to get some good research time tonight in so I will be checking those sites out!!

Thanks so much!