Surname Bagnano

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
nybella

Surname Bagnano

Post by nybella »

My great grandmother came from Rome, Italy and her last name was Bagnano, Lucia. I believe she came to the USA in the late 1800's through Ellis Island. Is there a way to find out where she lived in Rome and what her mother and father's name are?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Surname Bagnano

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Line 10 of this manifest is for Lucia Bagnano, aged 16, who arrived in the US August 25, 1903. I can make out several possibilities for the name written in the :ast Residence column, all of which are in Sicily. Perhaps someone else can be more specific.

Link to image: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... agnano.jpg

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

She is resident in Castellammare. There are two options
Castellammare del Golfo, Trapani province, Sicily
Castellammare ddi Stabia, Napoli province, Campania
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

According to http://www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi/genera.html in modern Italy the name Bagnano is quite rare and clearly centered in Campania, specifically Naples/Napoli.

Perhaps nybella's information concerning Rome is incorrect?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
nybella

Post by nybella »

Thank you for finding her on the registry. I just wish it had her parents name on it I know she was 16 when she came here and yes I was wrong about where she came from. I didn't know that Bagnano was a rare name. I wonder why? Thank you again
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

A couple of options:

1) Lucia most likely lived long enough to apply for a social security card. You can request a copy of her original application here http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

On the application, you will find:
•Full name
•Full name at birth, including maiden name
•Present mailing address
•Age at last birthday
•Date of birth
•Place of birth (city, county, State)
•Father's full name
•Mother's full name, including maiden name
•Sex
•Race as indicated by the applicant
•Whether the applicant ever applied for Social Security or Railroad Retirement before
•Current employer's name and address
•Date signed
•Applicant's signature

http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

2) Write to her comune of birth and request her birth certificate. There are many threads here that explain how to do this, one of them is here http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... +leva.html
Carmine

johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Hmmm... perhaps I misunderstood. Are you wishing for the parent's names so you can confirm the posted manifest is for the correct person or, are you confident the manifest is correct and now wishing to go back another generation?
Carmine

nybella

Post by nybella »

Yes the manifest is correct, but I wish to go back another generation and find out as much as I possibly can.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

nybella wrote:Yes the manifest is correct, but I wish to go back another generation and find out as much as I possibly can.
To find "out as much as I possibly can", you would definitely be well served by requesting Lucia's "Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita" from the comune where she was born. Have we figured out which of Livio's two choices (earlier post) is the more likely?

Here are the mailing addresses for both:

Ufficio Servizio Stato Civile
Comune di Castellammare del Golfo
Via Speranza, 15
91014 Castellammare del Golfo (TP)
ITALY

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Castellammare di Stabia
Piazza Giovanni XXIII
80053 Castellammare di Stabia (NA)
ITALY
Carmine

nybella

Post by nybella »

should I write to both of them and how much do I send with my request? How did you become so good at this? Thank you again for all your help