Orphan visa

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Anna7841

Re: Orphan visa

Post by Anna7841 »

Thanks, but I am sure he died in 1951. I think I did at some point come across a social sec for him, so I will request the copy. That is a great suggestion, I hadn't heard of that before.--Ann
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

OK, here is a manifest for Antonio Doddato, 22, arriving 1898, NY, passage paid by his brother, going to brother Girolamo in Brooklyn, NY

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0013

There may have been a big "falling-out" between the brothers. In 1900, your grandfather is out of Brooklyn, and with a name change. I agree, however, that many changed their names to make it easier to get jobs and "fit in."

T,
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Oh, I forgot to mention...lists town as Ottati...

T.
Anna7841

Post by Anna7841 »

Now, that is very cool! I never would have figured that out myself! I am so excited,thank you so much!--Ann
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the address to write for birth (nati) and death (morti) records. Ottati is in Salerno Province. Write the address as shown.

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via 24 Maggio, 53
84020 Ottati (SA)
ITALY

Be sure to write in Italian. Here is a form letter generator...
http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/l ... civile.asp

T.
Anna7841

Post by Anna7841 »

Again, thank you very much for the help. I am just starting out investigating the family history, and you really gave me great ideas when I had come to a standstill on what to do next. Eventually, I will let you know how it all turns out!--Ann
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hi!
Brother Antonio's possible marriage record
Valarie

Name Marriage Date Certificate Number County
Coddato Antonio Jan 3 1904 396 (1904) Kings
Rouo Teresina Jan 3 1904 396 (1904) Kings
---

If you haven’t used these, they may help you locate New York City records:

Dr Steve Morse One Step Search Pages for New York:

NY Naturalization
NYC Birth Records 1901-1907
NYC Birth Records 1891-1902 (requires ancestry. com subscription)
NYC Groom Index 1864-1936
NYC Bride Index ????-1937
NYC Death Records 1891-1948

Ordering NYC Vital Records
New York City Archives

from NYC records by the Italian Genealogical Group
http://www.italiangen.org/
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

XDear Anna here is alternative to obtain his social security record over the internet thru your computer.

you can make your request on the internet for his social security form SS-5 and make your payment with a credit card. Go to this website
www.ssa.gov/foia/html/foia_guide.htm and go down to "MAKE YOUR REQUEST ON LINE"

=Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ann, a couple of points...

"Girolamo" is one of only two common masculine Italian names beginning with Gir; the other being Girardo.

As to the occupation, laborer, the manifest has a column labeled "Calling". Something is written in the first line and then dittoed through the rest of the page. If it does say "Laborer" (clearly it does mot, at least not in english), then everyone on that page was such, including women and children of all ages. I find this suspicious, to say the least. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Anna7841

Post by Anna7841 »

Yes,I noticed that this whole manifest seems to have less info than many others that I have looked at. It also looks like it was filled out with less care than others I have seen . It does seem that the first name could be only one of a couple, and even Giralmo, I have not seen as much as other more common Italian names. That was a definite help in finding info.
Now, on his marriage certificate, he says he was born in Italy (and, I do think he was, and that the manifest I found for him, and later his brother , is for my family members). But on every census after his marriage, he says he was born here. I can't find a naturalization record. Did find a draft card for WWI, although he was 44 , wasn't that a bit old for a draft card? At around the same time, I think he was beginning to get involved in politics, and was a representative of his local city ward. He must have been voting, I would think. Is it possible that he was never naturalized and no one ever checked up on it?--Ann
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Ann,

From http://friendsnas.org/pdf_files/militar ... equest.pdf

"...had to have been born between Sept. 12, 1872 and Sept. 12, 1900 to be eligible for the draft."

American citizens were listed in a different section of ship's manifests, all by themselves; most such manifests will include the citizen's passport number.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
giovanni marino

Post by giovanni marino »

sono di Ottati e mi chiamo Giovanni Marino. il cognome Doddato è originario di Ottati e questo in tutto il mondo. Se vuoi puoi scrivermi che ti do tutte notizie che desideri. il cognome VESSA ed il Cognome Doddato sono di Ottati. Il nome Felice(tuo nonno)è rimasto ai discendenti di Ottati. Felice era un uomo alto e grosso e pertanto li chiamavano <dei felicioni> come ancora oggi. Anche dei miei cugini
portano il cognome Doddato e sono di Ottati. Io abito a Pistoia ma ho anche casa ad Ottati dove vado per 3 o 4 mesi all'anno. Ho fatto un kibro con tutti gli ottatesi che sono andati in America dal 18792 al 1924 e d adesso sto facendo l'anagrafe del Comune per individuare i discendenti. Sul sito c'era un signore che cercava di VERTUCCIO ... di Ottati; se puoi(io non conosco l'inglese) digli che i Vertuccio vivono a Ottati. Io conosco Nicola Vertuccio ed ho conosciuto Vertuccio Nicola, padre di Nicola, ma è morto da tanti anni. Auguri ed a presto risentirci