Italian military information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
queenie1

Italian military information

Post by queenie1 »

Does anyone know where I could find any information on military records.....in 1860-1880's....many thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italian military information

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello :-)

You can write for conscription records...

Conscription Records: ( from this site http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... ello2.html )

Conscription began in 1865 for all males age 18 in some parts, however 1873 for most parts. Includes all males born 1855 to present.
Referred to as "registro di leva" (conscription records)

Two copies made, held at: Military archive of the military district.
Initially provided to the "procura della repubblica" and after 75 years provided to the State Archive.

State Archive has records of each military district within the province boundaries.
Records contain: Name
Parents name
Commune of residence
Birth date
Commune of birth
Vocation
Ability to read/write
Physical description
Draft boards determination of eligibility

Letter Requesting Conscription Records: Addressed to the Archive Director (Archivio di Stato di (province of interest (i.e. Bari)
Provide as much information re the person as possible (same rules as requesting birth, marriage, or death record information)
Provide a reason for the request.
Request their suggestion for further research in records peculiar to their region.
Request a copy of the document - it may contain some additional information you haven't requested.

T.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

since military records prior to 1870 are located in the provincial Military district archives you might wish to send an e-mail to Central military archives in Rome first and if negative then to the Provincial military offices.

The e-mail address for Rome central military archives is ACS@ARCHIVI.BENICULTURALI.IT. Their address for letters is

Archivio Centrale dello Stato, Piazzale degli Archivi, 27, 00144, Roma, Italy

form letters in Italian for military records can be found at
www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwisdom/saviello2.html

=Peter=
~Peter~
queenie1

Post by queenie1 »

Hello! Wow such great information so quickly! thanks to both!
DeFilippis78
Master
Master

Post by DeFilippis78 »

Has anyone had any luck requesting military records through email when requesting from the provincial archives, specifically salerno?

Alicia
Totonno
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Totonno »

http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/consulta_ ... F4.node1if the person you are looking for was born in Calabria this site is for you
Faber est suae quisque fortunae
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Hi Peter, still no Military Letter on angelfire. I know you said they would be doing one but nothing has been posted on the site as yet.

lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I know but hope springs eternal! I have not called my contacts in Utah to see how far along the bureaucracy we are at!. Thanks for reminding me since cosmic moments erase my mental calendar as it were. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Why all the fuss?

I have had good results with the letter in this thread http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

why not give it a full website address so everyone can write it down instead of clicking the hieroglyphics first and make the letter in large lettering too! =Peter=
~Peter~