Antonio Scialla nascita

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Scialla nascita

Post by oilman19 »

With all of the documents I have found, I guess I was overdue to find one like this. I surmised this response but kept putting it off. I didn't delay it because of embarassment (I didn't know my ancestors) but because I figured it would probably leave me with a number of unanswered questions. So, I kept overlooking it and chose to work on the easy records that fit neatly into my ancestral tree.
I got brave today. Now I will deal with it in any way that I can. Your help and insight is very much appreciated.
Thank you.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
The record may be on microfilm. I don't know if your town has a separate category for acts of recognition documents. I have to look at the microfilm descriptions in the family history library catalog for your town's records.
Peg
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Another thing would be to get a copy of her marriage record to this man. There will probably be a handwritten notation at the bottom of the document saying that the marriage legitimized their son. The notation may also say if his surname was legally changed at that time.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think the month is Nov
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

The only thing I don't know is why there is a line going through the date and the act number.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Ah!
That sounds like the best avenue to follow. I might have 1890 matrimoni records. I'll have to check my film numbers. Now I am excited.
Thank you Peg. You are very helpful.

Jim
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You're welcome, Jim. As you can see, solving one problem leads to another, but that's what keeps us going at this.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

The month is November as stated.

What appears to be a line through the date is actually the second "printed" line of the birth record form.

I also think finding the matrimonio may help answer some of your questions.

T. :-)
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

Good news! :)
I found the matrimonio. The bad news is, it is a supplement to the Atti Di Matrimonio's.
It is one very long paragraph that I could never translate. :? I have scanned as many images as I thought necessary to read it, since the scanner doesn't always give a consistently clear image on the whole frame.
So, I need the details of the matrimoni and whether Antonio's surname is changed to his father's. Basically, a reading of the pertinent parts of the document.
I appreciate any help I can get. :)
Thank you.

Jim

http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 92_001.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 92_002.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 92_003.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 92_004.jpg
http://i770.photobucket.com/albums/xx34 ... 2_005-.jpg
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
On the last page it does say that the marriage legitimized the son Antonio Sicalla, but there is nothing there about his last name being changed, as far as I can tell. I know this is going to be disappointing for you.

It seems that the spouses were both in their 40s when they married. Vito Caliandro was 46 (or 43?) and had been born in the town of Cisternino (which is in Puglia). He as also a resident there. The street name is given Vico Taona???-son of Vitoantonio, who was resident in (can't figure out the town name) and deceased Vittoria Zozzi. Vito was some sort of guardia (which would be like a sentry or watchman, but there is another word as part of his occupation which I can't make out). Maria Scialla was age 48 and a housewife. She had been born in Aversa (in Caserta Province) and was a resident on Vico Crono??? (not sure of street name). She was the daughter of deceased Agostino, resident in life in Aversa and deceased Teresa (can't make out her surname yet)-also a resident in life there. There are names of witnesses given, as well as a mention of the first and second publication). That's pretty much what I have so far.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Jim,

Vitoantonio was a resident of Grottaglie, also in Puglia

I defer to Peg's reading of "Zozzi", but it might also be Lizzi. :-)

Teresa's surname looks like Gravina...

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I think you're right about the surname Lizzi, T. Always good to have another set of eyes to read these documents. I'm not convinced though that the town of residence for the groom's father begins with a G, especially if the maiden name is Gravino, which I think it is. The initial letter is formed totally differently.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I can see where it might seem different, but look also at the "G" in Giuseppa, and "Gli" on page 4.

Also, the extension of the line on the "G" in Grottaglie is very, very faint. :?

T.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Yes, you're right. Now I see the faint line for the G. Boy, all that microfilm work over the years, especially when I couldn't get on a machine which magnified, has really done my eyes in!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

And thank goodness for the "zoom view" on the computer screen!!! :-D

T.