Naming Children Traditions

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Naming Children Traditions

Post by cvwalters »

I am glad to see that I am not the only one. I was starting to think that I had tradition breakers in my family tree. I do now this much my grandmother and grandfather's generation had stopped the traditional naming.

Oh Jamie, can I relate...Mary/Maria/Rose/Teresa....and some with the same last name too! And my dad's side (Not italian) liked Mary and John and add to the fact my paternal grandparents had the same last name (not related though) causes great amounts of confusion....
cubsy2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cubsy2 »

My grandfather Luigi was born in 1896 and he was a second Luigi as the first one was born in 1892 and died 1893 at 17 months old.....

i cannot find so far anyways, any Luigi ancestor they would have been named for. (his father was michele, his grandfather pasqale, his g grandfather michele) . also, my grandfather did not have a brother named pasquale.

as for bad luck, my grandfather lived a long life and died in 1989-one month shy of his 93rd bday....
Researching: Guarino, Di Prisco, Zizza, Panichella, Magno,and now Antonelli, and Calvo....with a few others sprinkled in. Towns: Mirabella Eclano and Bonito (so far).
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

**UPDATE**

I recieved my Poppy's birth certificate today and he indeed was name SAVERIO. So he was not telling my mom a tell when he told her his real name is Saverio. How and why they started calling him Sam, I will never know. Also, I wonder if he knew that he was named for his deceased brother. However his "real" last name still is a mystery. There was yet another spelling to add to my list...

As for my gram. I really didn't expect to find anything out of the ordinary on her BC. I was looking to see how many children, if any were born before her since she was by all acounts the oldest. There were 2. I have accounted for 2 born after her who have died, but these 2 are unknown to me. But the most interesting part was for 80 years she celebrated May 16 at her birthday, but according to her BC it was May 13!
Squigy
Master
Master

Post by Squigy »

cvwalters wrote:**UPDATE**

I recieved my Poppy's birth certificate today and he indeed was name SAVERIO. So he was not telling my mom a tell when he told her his real name is Saverio. How and why they started calling him Sam, I will never know. Also, I wonder if he knew that he was named for his deceased brother. However his "real" last name still is a mystery. There was yet another spelling to add to my list...

As for my gram. I really didn't expect to find anything out of the ordinary on her BC. I was looking to see how many children, if any were born before her since she was by all acounts the oldest. There were 2. I have accounted for 2 born after her who have died, but these 2 are unknown to me. But the most interesting part was for 80 years she celebrated May 16 at her birthday, but according to her BC it was May 13!
Simple. Sam is the anglicized version of Saverio.
nico5940

Post by nico5940 »

About names...Piedmont Region, Northern Italy can anyone tell me why there are so many names with Battista in them? Does it have to do with history and a certain period of time? Kathy
cvwalters
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cvwalters »

nico5940 wrote:About names...Piedmont Region, Northern Italy can anyone tell me why there are so many names with Battista in them? Does it have to do with history and a certain period of time? Kathy
Are you referring to first names? I have a relative named Giambattista (or Gianni Battista) depends what is references... Anyway it would translate to John the Baptist. I am not familar with Northern Italy tradistions, however I would guess it could be something similar to my "John the Baptist".

I am sure someone on the forum will have a better idea than I do.
nico5940

Re: Naming Children Traditions "Battistta"

Post by nico5940 »

Hi not sure if my last response got posted. I have several ancestors from the 1800's that had "Battista in their name. Most of the time its the middle name like Giovanni Battista Pietro or Giovanni Battista Eldrado or Giovanni Battista Antonio and then the last name. All born mid 1800's thru 1879. Latju