Antonio Paganin

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
metcalf75

Antonio Paganin

Post by metcalf75 »

Hi,

I am hoping someone could do a search for me please. My G Grandfather Antonio Paganin immigrated to the US via the La Lorraine in 1910 arriving at Ellis Island.

I believe from this point he travelled to Chicago where he was a stonemason for a short period before returning to Italy about 1913.

If possible could someone have a look for any further information. As this is the first time I have encountered any of my family having any record in the US I unfortunately do not have the access to the US records and no idea of where to start looking. I seriously stumbled across Ellis Island, it was the only place I had heard of as being a port of embarkation.

Many thanks in advance.

Cheers
Tanya
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Antonio Paganin

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Tanya,

Antonio Paganin also arrived at Ellis Island in May 1907 on La Gascogne.
You are very fortunate in that he gives his place of birth as Asiago. Most emigrants just state "Italy" as their place of birth or last place of residence.

Seraphina
UK
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Tanya
You may not be able to find many records for your g-grandfather in the US
- the 1910 census was supposed to be as of 15 Apr 1910, his 2nd trip in 1910 was in late May

But, his cousin (from page 2 of the 1910 manifest) Cristiano Basso has several possible records on this free site.
Valarie

FamilySearch Pilot site:
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsea ... html#start
metcalf75

Post by metcalf75 »

Hi Vj and Seraphina,

Thanks so much for having a squiz for me.

I did learn last night about his first trip in 1907, simply because I worked out how to read the full manifest (perhaps I should have read it properly instead of just getting excited).

I am surprised he came over twice... in the 1907 manifest there is a name of a cousin...unfortunately I can't read it properly and the name is unfamiliar. The Basso cousin appears to be from his mother, Maria Basso's side. That was a help also as we believed that that her surname was Bosso.

Would either of you know what was going on in the US between 1907-1910. Perhaps he travelled for work? Unfortunately we don't learn a lot of American history in Australian schools.

For anyone else who hopefully one day will stumble across this post; here is a little more info. Antonio had two brothers; Valentino and Giovanni. Valentino never left Italy, but Giovanni emigrated to Aust before returning a few years later. Antonio went on to marry Olimpia Genelli and had three children; Elda, Arthur and Italo. This branch settled in Perth, Western Australia and Elda is my Nonna. Would love to find Italian relatives of this family as we can go back only one further generation to Giovanni Paganin and his Wife Maria Basso.

Thanks....now off to follow the link!

Tanya
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Tanya,

The cousin's name appears to be something like Rodghiero Boltola.
However, I've done a quick search and cannot find this person on any site.
Perhaps someone could do a search by his address, if you asked.

There was widespread emigration from Italy to the US in late 19th century, for economic reasons mainly.

Seraphina
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

just for references:

1907 arrival manifest:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0029

Paganin Antonio, age 22, single, from Asiago to Chicago IL, to join his cousin Rodeghiero (maybe Rodighiero) Bortolo

1910 arrival manifest:

page 1:
http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsRIZMS

page 2:
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0026

Antonio Paganin, age 25, married, place of birth and last residence in Italy Asiago, leaving in Italy his wife Valentina Forte, travelling with his brother Domenico Paganin, age 23, single, leaving in Italy (Asiago) his mother Pellegrina Basso. Antonio stated he was in the U.S before, from 1906 to 1907 in Chicago, them both were joining their cousin Cristiano Basso in Wilkes Barre - Pennsylvania.

Laura
metcalf75

Post by metcalf75 »

Hi Seraphina and Laura,

Interesting...Valentino married and Olimpia Genelli, possibly she was a second wife. They had two kids before coming to Aust. We believe that Maria Basso is Valentino's mother and Pellegrina Tessari is Olimpia Genelli's mother. Have never heard of a brother called Domenico either and unfortunately the Asiago town hall was bombed during WW1 so all records are lost.

Any idea's??

Cheers
Tanya
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

Hey Tanya
I don't know if this will help, but some of the civil records for Asiago were microfilmed
Valarie
---

Your nearest Family History Center can order records for Asiago on microfilm.
The cost is about $6 US mo (rent), you’ll need to go to the center to order & view them.

Topic:
Italy, Vicenza, Asiago
- Civil registration

Title search results:
Registri dello stato civile, 1806-1815, 1872-1889 Asiago (Vicenza).
Ufficio dello stato civile

film notes for Asiago:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library ... to++civile++
---

In case you aren’t familiar with the Family History Center & Italian records

FamilySearch Home Page
Includes how to find your nearest local Family History Center
You may want to call first to verify the hours they're open.
Most centers are staffed with very helpful volunteers.

A helpful essay written by Trish, one of our forum members:
Steps for Finding Microfilm at the Family History Center

Family History Library Catalog:
http://www.familysearch.org/eng/Library ... t_fhlc.asp
---

Italian Record Research from FamilySearch guides:
Italy Research Outline
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Antonio went on to marry Olimpia Genelli and had three children; Elda, Arthur and Italo.
Valentino married and Olimpia Genelli, possibly she was a second wife. They had two kids before coming to Aust.
:?:

Have you checked this site?

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/record ... index.aspx

there are several records for Paganin and Genelli....

Title
PAGANIN Arturo born 26 December 1889; Olimpia (nee Genelli) born 15 January 1897; Arturo born 10 October 1926 - Italian
Series number
A446 Control symbol
1957/45983 Contents date range
1939 - 1957

Access status
Not yet examined Location
Canberra Barcode

Maybe you can ask for some of these records...

Laura