Surname Correction?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
troycjaco

Surname Correction?

Post by troycjaco »

I have all my documents. I have them all corrected, apostilled, translated and in long form. Now i am just waiting for my appointment.

I am applying through my paternal bisnonno, and his last name is spelt Iacobellis on his birth certificate but on all my U.S. documents starting from his naturalization records to my birth certificate, our name is Jacobellis. I know the name should be Iacobellis, that this is the correct name, and i know they changed Iacobellis to Jacobellis illegally to sound "more american".

Does anyone think this will pose a problem? im thinking it might. Or should i just ignore it, and see what they (New York Consulate) say on appointment day?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Surname Correction?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What year did he naturalize? Later versions of the Declaration of Intent (especially from about 1912 onward) include a section which describes when and by what means the applicant entered the US and under what name.

If his declaration says he entered the US as Iacobellis (does his birth certificate really have an "s" at the end of Iacobelli?) but naturalized as Jacobellis, that may be enough to satisfy the consulate.

Also, the name change may not be quite what you think it is. In italiano, the "Ia" in Iacobelli would be pronounced as a single syllable with a "ya" sound, thus ya-co-BEL-lee. Perhaps they changed to "J" with the hope that people would understand the pronunciation is to be in the sweedish manner (ya) which they might be more familliar with as opposed to the "ee-ah" or "eye-ah" that most Americans then (and now) would try to use.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
troycjaco

Post by troycjaco »

thank you very much for the response johnny.

Oh yes, i tell everyone the phonetic is "Ya-kobellis" but after a while i gave up as people just keep pernouncing the "J" as an english "J".

My family came from Greece and immigrated to Puglia. I think this is why I have the "s" as apposed to the normal Italian cognome Iacobelli.

But anyway, on my bisnonno birth certificate it says " Nicola Iacobellis ". He naturalized in 1931. His decleration of intention, certificate of arrival and petition for citizenship all say " Nicola Jacobellis ".

With all my American documents, i have the name Jacobellis, except for my documents from italy (marriage and birth certificates) as of which all say " Iacobellis ".

I see what you mean, if he came to America under the name Iacobellis but then it shows a change to a "J", then thats okay. But i think i got a problem because my naturalization records are bascially saying that a " Nicola Jacobellis came to America" Not a "Nicola Iacobellis" giusto ?

I called the consulate up, the guy said it shouldn't be a problem, but i heard that the NY consualte is known for being very lassa-faire over the phone but when you come down they are very strict.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

New York can be difficult, but in the end, it is all about convincing them that you have the correct documents for the correct person.

If his naturalization papers say he was born on a specific date in a specific Italian comune, and everything matches up with the exception of a "J" vs an "I", then maybe they will let it slide.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
troycjaco

Post by troycjaco »

haha hopefully, thanks you verymuch again johnnyonthespot for all your help.