Looking for Information on my Great Grandfather

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Sper8

Looking for Information on my Great Grandfather

Post by Sper8 »

Hi to everyone.

As per the subject line; I have been to as many sources (as well as some listed here) in my attempts to look for more information on my great grandfather who died in WWI in 1918.

Francesco Sperotto.

From Sarcedo in Vicenza.

I do not have any documentation on him as it would have been with his wife who re-married shortly after and refused to speak about him to my grandfather.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Let me know if there is anything else you need from me.

Thanks in advance.

- Dante.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Looking for Information on my Great Grandfather

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Which country was he serving during WWI? This Italian Ministry of Defense site ( http://www.difesa.it/Templates/OnorCadu ... HINT=Guest ) lists only two Sperotto's who died while fighting for Italy in WWI or WWII and Francesco is not one of them.

If he was in Italy at that time, is it possible that he was a civilian casuality? Italy lost nearly as many civilians as soldiers during WWI (589,000 vs. 651,000; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_I_casualties).
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

At this time, there are 17 Sperotto's listed in the Italian telephone directory in Sarcedo ( http://www.paginebianche.it/execute.cgi ... btt=1&om=0 ). Perhaps you might try writing to some of them inquiring if they are related to Francesco.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Sper8

Post by Sper8 »

I was in Sarcedo in Feb as well as in Breganze which still has a large amount of Sperotto surnames, I am not related to anyone listed in Sarcedo.

I also had checked the Ministero della Difesa site and came up with the same results.

He was an enlisted man and from what i was able to gather was wounded and sent back to the northern front. Some think he may have made Sergente but I have nothing to base that on but rumor :)

Thanks for the interest and Help, you indeed live up to your Alias :p
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

I suppose you are certain that your GGF was not the Cirillo Sperotto who died September 14, 1918 and is interred in Vicenza?
Carmine