Furnari, Messina, Sicilia

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Munafo

Furnari, Messina, Sicilia

Post by Munafo »

I'm interested in any information on the town of Furnari in the Messina region of Sicily. I'd like to find the moder-day locations of these addresses in Furnari: 4 Casalnuovo and 18 Rinazzo

The addresses are the family homes of my great grand father Francesco Munafo and great grand mother Carmela Chiofalo, both were born in the 1870's and these addresses were on their birth certificates.

Is/was Furnari a farming town? Most of my relatives were farmers. Is Furnari known for anything in particular? It isn't far from the water, does the main square look out at the water? Was the town damaged much by the earthquake of 1908?

Any first hand accounts of the town, past or present, are greatly appreciated. I've seen video clips on youtube but they weren't very helpful in getting a sense of the place.

Thanks!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Furnari, Messina, Sicilia

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You do need to keep in mind that many Italian comuni suffered significant destruction during WWII. The Allied invasion of Italy began in Sicily and, with Furnari located right at the choke point between Sicily and the mainland, I suspect it got pretty well beat up.

It is possible that these places simply do not exist any longer.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
cocokj

Post by cocokj »

cocokj

Post by cocokj »

cocokj

Post by cocokj »

I just spoke to my relative in Furnari. She said, she knows of a man named
Francesco Munafo. She also said the streets Casalnuovo & Rinazzo still are there.