Looking for information on Louis Failla and his ancestors.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Looking for information on Louis Failla and his ancestors.

Post by siskojnash »

I am looking for information on Louis Failla, who was born July 26, 1905 in Philadelphia, PA and died sometime in September 1986 in Farmingdale, Nassau County, New York, USA. I was told by his daughter that he had emigrated to Italy when he was about 4 years old and then came back later. I haven't been able to get the actual document, but he came back to the U.S. on the SS Dante Alighieri which sailed from Palermo to New York. It left on 2/16/1924 and arrived 2/29/1924.
His closest relative was listed as his father, Antonio Failla in Castelbuono, Sicily. I've been told that his wife was named Antonia. I don't know anything about them aside from the name, or whether or not they stayed in Sicily. Louis Failla traveled under the name Luigi when he emigrated to the U.S. He was going to stay with his uncle, Giuseppe Abbate in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. This is the first time I've heard of that name. I don't think anyone has heard of him in the family. I would very much like to find out more about these people, and any other family members connected to them. Also, would it please be possible for someone to find the passenger list for the 1924 ship? I found the information, but wasn't able to get the document. I found the picture of the S.S. Dante Alighieri. Antonio Failla may have also emigrated to the U.S. on the S.S. Marco Minghetti arriving on April 11, 1904 in New York to see his mother, Giuseppa. If that's the case, he probably got married, had Louis, and then went back to Italy. I don't have that document or the ship picture. Thank you very much. I just saw, but couldn't get, the passenger list for the SS Liguria 9/15/1905 from Naples and arriving on Sept 29, 1905 in New York. Could someone please put that information up also? That might be Antonio's brother. I need to ask about whether or not Louis Failla, who I asked about to start with, had any brothers or sisters, or find some documents about it. I think there was a 1930 Census that might have him in it.
vj
Master
Master

Re: Looking for information on Louis Failla and his ancestor

Post by vj »

siskojnash wrote:...find the passenger list for the 1924 ship? I found the information, but wasn't able to get the document...
from Ellis Island, 1924 manifest
http://stevemorse.org/ellis2/ellisgold.html

page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030
page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0030
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

living with future in-laws in NY?

1930 census
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/7638/1930c.jpg

Home in 1930:
Brooklyn, Kings, New York

Rose Cusimano 48
Joseph Cusimano 26
Louis Cusimano 22
Carmelo Cusimano 20
Santo Cusimano 18
Jack Cusimano 16
Anna Cusimano 15
boarder Louis Failla 25, abt 1905 in PA
vj
Master
Master

Post by vj »

siskojnash wrote:... Antonio Failla may have also emigrated to the U.S. on the S.S. Marco Minghetti arriving on April 11, 1904 in New York to see his mother, Giuseppa. If that's the case, he probably got married, had Louis, and then went back to Italy...
Antonio Failla age 32
1904 manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027
- joining brother Giuseppe in NY

note: Ellis Island is a free site only requiring a one-time registration, includes ship manifests for New York from 1892-1924
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

That's definitely him. His daughter talked about Santo and her mother is Anna. Thank you so much for putting the census up!
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I don't suppose there's a way of getting the documents from Ellis Island without paying $20 or $30 a piece. Is there a way to just download the images?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

siskojnash wrote:Antonio Failla may have also emigrated to the U.S. on the S.S. Marco Minghetti arriving on April 11, 1904 in New York to see his mother, Giuseppa.
Hey! My grandfather was on that very same sailing!

Antonio Failla's manifest (line 27): http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0027
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

siskojnash wrote:I don't suppose there's a way of getting the documents from Ellis Island without paying $20 or $30 a piece. Is there a way to just download the images?
You can set up a free trial at ancestry . com, find the same manifests, and download them at no extra cost.

Or, one of us might do it for you. :)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Antonio Failla's manifest: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... Failla.jpg

Click the link, right-click on the image, select Save Picture As...

If you buy from ellisisland, the resolution and clarity will be significantly better...
Carmine

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I was trying to search on ancestry, since I'm going to the library tomorrow, but didn't seem to have any luck finding it. Would it be possible for someone to please put up the passenger list for Marianna Patella? The one I'm looking for, I think, is the one that arrived on the Spartan Prince in 1899. She says she is going to stay with her husband, Castrovinci. I'm almost certain this is the sister of my fiancee's great-grandmother, but don't want to buy the document since I can't actually prove it yet. She married Joseph Castrovinci. There was a split in the family. I've been trying to track them down for months, but this document is all I've found.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

siskojnash wrote:Would it be possible for someone to please put up the passenger list for Marianna Patella?
First entry on this manifest: http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/zz12 ... atella.jpg

She is indexed as "Morianna Patella"; perhaps that is why you didn't find her.
Carmine

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you very much for the passenger list for Antonio Failla. My fiancee just told me that the Cusimano family that Louis Failla was staying with in the 1930 Census was from the same town, Castelbuono, in Sicily. The husband's name was Vincent, but he apparently died before 1930 since he wasn't listed. All I've ever had to go on is his name, no dates. The top 3, Rose, 48 years old, Joseph, 26, and Louis Failla, 22, as of April 7, 1930, apparently emigrated in 1910. Do you think there are any passenger lists available for them?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

siskojnash wrote: Do you think there are any passenger lists available for them?
There are passenger lists for just about everybody who emigrated to the US. The trick is finding them as the names are often indexed incorrectly...
Carmine

siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Yes, that must be why. That name shows up on ancestry. I wonder if I can correct that at the library tomorrow, or add an alternative name.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Could you please check and see whether or not a giuseppe castrovinci shows up in passenger lists before 1899? It probably would have been within a year or maybe two before Marianna came over, right? I know from a family story that he definitely would have been in Palermo in 1893.