Any Calascibetta experts or residents here in Sicily? Help!

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jeffyjoe44

Any Calascibetta experts or residents here in Sicily? Help!

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

We have been trying to find my great great grandparents. I have very little information. They had three sons and one daughter who came to America. We have found all of their manifest and census records, and we believe we have an idea of what their names are. We also have rented out the microfish and searched the baptismal records for the children but no such luck.

Anybody familiar with Calascibetta who can turn me in the right direction. I used one of those forms today to type up a little document asking for help, but im not sure where to send it. I would greatly appreciatre any help!

The family I am looking for I believe is Ilarione Chiaese Manganaro and his wife Jennie/Joana Sodora? They had five kids Giovanni (who never came here), then Peter, Joe, Euphenia, and Paul. Obiously they were Petro, Giuseppe, Paolo (who actually is Francesco Paolo.)

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeff
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Any Calascibetta experts or residents here in Sicily? H

Post by Bette »

Jeff,
If you are looking to write to the town of Calascibetta, here is the address:
Comune di Calascibetta
Via Conte Ruggero 12
94010 Calascibetta EN

If you are looking to write to a potential relative, perhaps they are listed in the Italian White Pages telephone directory, which can be found at this web site:

Http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

If you would like to research the Italian records yourself, reading the microfilm available to rent and read at a Mormon Family History Center, they have Civil Registration records (Births, Marriages, Deaths) for this town for the period 1820 - 1910. You don't mention any dates, so I am not sure if you already have information as far back as 1910.

So you do have several options. What do you think you'd like to do?
Regards,
Bette
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

I have looked in the white pages. The names of either of my great grandparents do not exist. The people I am looking for were probably born between 1850-1860. They stayed in Calascibetta. I have been to the Calascibetta website and I did not see a proper address to send for paperwork. Is the address you've given me a specific one, or a generic one?

Also, as for you microfilm, I had already stated that we obtained the films from the Mormon library years for the city and we were unsuccessful. Apparently there was a fire in the town after the turn of the century and they lost a lot of record.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Jeff,

Chiaese Manganaro is a very rare lastname, you can use this site to see where and how many persons are carrying this lastname today in Sicily:

http://italia.indettaglio.it/eng/cognomi/cognomi.html

considering that on the italian white pages there is only one present, why don't write him?

Form letters to a potential relative

http://www.mangeruca.com/potential_relative.htm

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... etter.html

Laura
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

Pink,

Thank you. I went to that page and it showed me that there were very few results with that name. I could write them all the same letter, but where does it show the specific address? Thank you for your help!

Jeff
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Bette wrote:Jeff,
If you are looking to write to the town of Calascibetta, here is the address:
Comune di Calascibetta
Via Conte Ruggero 12
94010 Calascibetta EN

If you are looking to write to a potential relative, perhaps they are listed in the Italian White Pages telephone directory, which can be found at this web site:

Http://www.paginebianche.it/index.html

If you would like to research the Italian records yourself, reading the microfilm available to rent and read at a Mormon Family History Center, they have Civil Registration records (Births, Marriages, Deaths) for this town for the period 1820 - 1910. You don't mention any dates, so I am not sure if you already have information as far back as 1910.

So you do have several options. What do you think you'd like to do?
Regards,
Bette

Using the above link type in the name where is asks "nome" and the town where is asks "dove" and the lisitings will come up.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

For Vital Records use the address:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Conte Ruggero, 12
94010 Calascibetta (EN)
ITALY

Form letter generator for requesting documents...
http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/l ... civile.asp

Or Laura's great sites for relative letters above...

T.
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

Tessa, thank you for that address. I have had no luck in the white pages, and I've exhausted all the information through the Mormon archives.
Bette
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Bette »

Dear Jeff,
You stated that you researched the Baptismal records. These are the church's records. I am talking about the Civil Registration Records - Births, Marriages and Deaths.

I am sorry to hear that you weren't successful with the Mormon archives. Here is something basic that you need to know. Although you mention a fire in the town where records were destroyed, when you read the microfilmed records for Sicily, you may notice that these records were filmed at the Provincial level and not the town level. I have seen this over and over. Also, it is important to work backwards from the beginning. At some point, your ancestor may have come from another town. So, by reading, for example a Birth record or a Marriage Record, there will be clues to where the mother and father came from, if not in this town of Calascibetta. It takes a lot of time and patience to go through the records thoroughly so that you don't miss an important detail, which could take you to another town. For example, although my grandmother was born in Valguarnera Caropepe, Enna Province, Sicily, both her parents came from Messina. Her mother from San Filippo, Messina Province and her father from Santa Lucia del Mela, Messina Province. I found this out by reading the records of Valguarnera.
I wish you good luck in your letter writing and in researching the records.
Bette
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Don't know if you have this...birth record for Angelina Manganaro, daughter of Pietro. I didn't see it listed on your Family Tree.

Lists her mother's name as Josephine Pingano.
Do you have her manifest? You can also search for her birth and especially her marriage record which should bring you to Pietro Chiaese Manganaro's.

Name: Angelina Manganaro
Birth Date: 09 Nov 1915
Birthplace:
Race (Original): W
Race (Standardized): White
Father's Name: Pete Manganaro
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: *Hine Pingano
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Film Number: 1315959
Digital Folder Number: 4394349
Image Number: 00365
Reference Number: p. 266, Ln 13229
Collection: Illinois, Cook County Birth Registers, 1871-1915

This listing for Rita's birth lists mother as Josephine Perzzino..

Name: Rita Manganaro
Birth Date: 05 Sep 1917
Birthplace: Chicago
Race:
Father's Name: Peter C Manganaro
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age: 35
Mother's Name: Josephine Perzzino
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age: 21
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Paternal Grandfather:
Paternal Grandmother:
Maternal Grandfather:
Maternal Grandmother:
Additional Relatives:
Death Date:
Death Age:
Film Number: 1308780
Digital Folder Number: 4402527
Image Number: 00811
Reference Number: 45563
Collection: Illinois, Cook County Birth Certificates, 1878-1922

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Also didn't see this 1900 Census for Ilario and Joana Manganaro (listed as Jeras and Johannah Maugariaro)

Sorry if I have duplicated what you have...
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/7350 ... census.jpg

T.
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

Oh T..

You are great. I didn't look up Josephines. I found Petre in the 1900 census living in Lousiana. I believe it is him. Some of the stuff we have found is attached to our shoebox and not directly to the tree. I am not convinced this census record for Ilario and Joana is correct, although the dates could certainly be possible. We didn't believe that they ever came here, and this would put them coming 3 years after the birth of their last son Paul, but not bringing him. And I am guessing that if the daughter and sons used Chiaese Manganaro, the parents surely would have, but this definitely gives me something to ponder.

Your talents are amazing!!!!!!!

Much appreciated Jeff. You just must be awesome at this. I swear I've spent 100s of hours looking through all of the different records, and I swear my eyeballs bleed!!!!

Jeff
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Considering the rarity of the lastname what about this 1906 arrival manifest for a Chiaese Manganaro female (don't recognize well the first name maybe Marisella?) travelling with her husband Tita Pietro from Calascibetta to Toledo - Ohio? For sure she was a relative...

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0018

Laura :D
jeffyjoe44

Post by jeffyjoe44 »

Laura,

She may have been a cousin. We saw that record. But there are five kids and the eldest never came to America. Birth order was Giovanni (unk year), Pietro/Peter (1882), Giuseppe/Joe (1885), Eufenia/Fanny (1888), and Francesco Paolo/Paul (1897).

So that Chiaese Manganaro I have seen before, and she could be a relative. But nobody knows who she is. Unfortunately, only 3 of the grandkids of the four American siblings are alive, and none of them remember other family members.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

and I've exhausted all the information through the Mormon archives

Have you also checked this microfilm?:

Title Registri dello stato civile di Calascibetta (Caltanissetta), 1820-1910
Authors Calascibetta (Caltanissetta). Ufficio dello stato civile (Main Author)

Nati 1878-1903 (births 1878-1903)
FHL INTL
Film 1916654

It must contains the Chiaese Managanaro child's births

Laura