Santora/Longo families from Rose, Consenza

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
isendresq

Santora/Longo families from Rose, Consenza

Post by isendresq »

I'm hoping someone may be able to provide me with some guidance.

I'm trying to learn more about my great grandparents. I'd like to learn who their parents were and I guess I would need to obtain information from their marriage or birth records from Rose. My great grandfather is Joseph Santora. From what I have gathered from his World War II draft card, he was born in Rose, Consenza 10 Oct 1882, and he and his wife immigrated around 1915/1916. He married Rosaria or Rose Longo, I believe also of Rose, Consenza.

How do I go about obtaining birth or marriage records for my great grandparents?
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Santora/Longo families from Rose, Consenza

Post by maestra36 »

Hello and welcome to this forum.

Could you please tell us where in the U.S. your ancestors settled? Knowing that information might help us to locate various records for them, including their passenger lists. Before you try to get information from Italy, you should gather as many documents as you can from the U.S. and learn as much as you can about your ancestors from those documents.

The following is the official website for your town and also an email address for the anagrafe or registry office which houses the town's vital records. If you choose to write or email the office, you must do so in Italian.

UFFICI DEMOGRAFICI
Anagrafe, Leva, Stato Civile, Elettorale

Telefono: 0984/901141
Fax: 0984/901002
e-mail: ufficidemografici@comune.rose.cs.it

no spaces in the email address

If you type in Comune di Rose in a search engine, you will arrive at the town's home page or try the following link:

http://www.comune.rose.cs.it/index.php? ... &Itemid=26.

To write in Italian, you can refer to the following website-

http://circolocalabrese.org/resources/letters/index.asp
isendresq

Post by isendresq »

I'm sorry for not including that info.

The Santora family settled in Greenwich Connecticut.

Also, thank you for the above information that you provided.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

First Name: Rosaria
Last Name: Longo
Ethnicity: Italian South, Italy
Last Place of Residence: Rose
Date of Arrival: Aug 10, 1906
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: F Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Antonio Lopez
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0017

This is the passenger list info for your Rosaria Longo. She was born abt 1886, according to her passenger list. Her destination was to her husband Giuseppe Santoro in Greenwich Ct-says 433 Ave (don't know about this address). Her last residence is given as Rose, Italy

You can view this passenger list either by going to www. ellisislandrecords.org or www.stevemorse.org (search her name using the gold form on this website and put in her town of Rose)
isendresq

Post by isendresq »

I can't thank you enough for this information. I'd searched the Ellis Island info but never found anything. I never thought to enter Rosaria's maiden name. I'll also check for a listing for Guiseppe Santora also.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Giuseppe Rocco Santoro, contadino enlisted on 20/07/1902
born on 10/10/1882 to ROSE
daughter of Pasquale Santoro and of Michelina Cosentino

I found the above information on the following website:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.faces

You have to register with a username and password to view the information, but the site is free.

I don't know if the information is definitely for your ancestor, but the date of birth does match up with the info you found on his WWII draft registration card
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

JOSEPH SANTORA 10 Oct 1882 Jan 1966 06830 (Greenwich, Fairfield, CT) SS# 048-22-2877 Connecticut

From the social security index at www.rootsweb.com

It now costs $27 to send for your ancestor's application for his social security card. On the website above, there is an option to generate a letter to mail to social security for the application. That will give you the names of his parents. You can also order this application online and charge the amt to a credit card.

http://genealogy.about.com/od/online_re ... equest.htm

There is a link on this website for the online form to submit.
isendresq

Post by isendresq »

Just a quick question.... the Cosenza record listed above... is that a military enlistment?

Thank you again for all of your assistance.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Yes that info is from a military enlistment record. Actually what is stated to be the enlistment year, 1882, is actually the year of birth and the date of enlistment is July 20, 1902. From the Cosenza website above:

Ufficio Leva della Provincia di Cosenza, Enlistment year 1882. Volume number 185, document number 151 page 132 section a
Giuseppe Rocco Santoro, contadino enlisted on 20/07/1902

On that website, some records are online for viewing, but this particular record, unfortunately, is not.

The dates of birth and town of birth match your ancestor, but I am not sure it is actually your ancestor. That's why getting his parents' names from another record is really important.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I see the family on the 1930 census for the Town of Greenwich Conn, Fairfield County, ED 1-135, sheet 2 A, lines 15-23, living on Ann Street

On this census-
Joseph Santora, age 47
Rose, wife, age 44
Patsy, son, age 31
Mike, son, age 19,
Peter, son, age 15
Millie, daughter, age 14
Frank, son, age 11
Susie daughter, age 10
Joseph Jr, son, age 4 and 2 months

All of the children were born in Connecticut. Joseph was a gardener on a private estate. His year of immigration is given as 1914 and Rose's year of immigration is given as 1914. Since we already located her on a passenger list for 1906, we know the info concerning their years of immigration on the census is incorrect. They both had alien status.

Also from their ages at their first marriage, their year of marriage is estimated at 1903, in case you need that information to get their marriage certificate from the town in Italy.

possibly someone can upload this census image for you.
isendresq

Post by isendresq »

Thanks again for all of your assistance.