Bertone in Provincia di Pavia?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Bertone in Provincia di Pavia?

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Someone help me out here, please.

The snip below is from the last two columns of a double-wide manifest; the columns labeled Place of Birth (City / Country). It certainly appears to say "Bertone" (comune?) in "Pavia" (province?).

Currently, there is no Comune di Bertone anywhere in Italy and I cannot find a frazione by that name anywhere in Pavia.

Any thoughts? This is all in regards to this thread: http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 17263.html
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
misbris
Master
Master

Re: Bertone in Provincia di Pavia?

Post by misbris »

You want to see something relly weird. :roll: I pulled up all the Ellis Island records for Bertone and everyone who listed that as home is a Molinelli.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... ECTION=asc
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

misbris wrote:You want to see something relly weird. :roll: I pulled up all the Ellis Island records for Bertone and everyone who listed that as home is a Molinelli.

http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EIDB ... ECTION=asc
Wow! That is weird!

There has got to be a story behind this. Did they have their own comune all to themselves???
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

Yup everyone was a Molinelli there. It meant windmill in their dialect (from mulinello).
So on that list my GGF isn't even there which is very interesting.....he came in 1903, and went back another time and arrived again in 1907.
Giovanna Molinelli is my GGM, Bartolomeo is their son, Maria Teresa and Celestina their daughters and Lorenzo Molinelli was I think my GGM brother.

Giacomo born in 1875 could be my grandfather and maybe his name was spelled wrong? Are those the only Molinelli's that came over?

Can you also look up MOLLINELLI? They could have listed him wrong, it's already happened on 2 of the census'. Thank you so much!!
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi, I found this on an Italian site:-

"La frazione di Bertone appartiene al comune di Ottone, in provincia di Piacenza, nella regione Emilia-Romagna."

It must be a very small frazione as there are only 10 inhabitants!

So maybe there was originally only 1 or perhaps 2 dwellings there, inhabited by the same family.

Hope this helps.

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Seraphina wrote:Hi, I found this on an Italian site:-

"La frazione di Bertone appartiene al comune di Ottone, in provincia di Piacenza, nella regione Emilia-Romagna."

It must be a very small frazione as there are only 10 inhabitants!

So maybe there was originally only 1 or perhaps 2 dwellings there, inhabited by the same family.

Hope this helps.

Seraphina
Yes, but, we have two separate manifests which make mention of Bertone in Pavia.

Frazione Bertone in Comune di Pavia?

or, Comune di Bertone in Provincia di Pavia? Neither exists today, but it seems odd that the same "error" would appear on two documents.
Carmine

misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Carmine, I am sure by now that you saw suanj's explanation in the other thread. Holly, you can be sure that anyone there is family. :wink:

Those are not all the Molinelli, I only sorted by town.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Hi again,

it might be that the frazione of Bertone was in Pavia in 19th / early 20th century, but is now part of the province of Piacenza.

Just checked, in the comune of Odone, Mulinello is the second most common surname.

Does this help?
Seraphina
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

Sorry, my mistake, I should have said "in the comune of Ottone..."

Seraphina
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Seraphina wrote:Sorry, my mistake, I should have said "in the comune of Ottone..."

Seraphina
Seraphina,

Please look at the other thread, http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... 17263.html

As you can see, the original poster is seeking the birth record for Giovanni Molinelli and the comune insists the only birth record they have for that date is for a female named Giovanna.

I thought perhaps we were searching in the wrong comune; that perhaps there was another comune or frazione Bertone, but it seems now that that is not the case.
Carmine

Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Seraphina »

HI, Johnny,

Sorry, I hadn't seen the other thread.

It looks like there is a mistake somewhere along the line.

Seraphina
S-mac

Post by S-mac »

Hi... I was interested in the forum on Molinelli. My grandmother Teresa Molinelli was born Jan 29 1989 in Bertone de Ottone. She arrived here on oct 6 1906 sponsored by my grandfather Dino Fregi (John). on the S.S. La Savoire. Does that connect with anyone? Sandy
hollyolly7
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hollyolly7 »

Hi S-mac,

What were the names of your grandmothers parents? Teresa was a common name in Bertone. I have a great aunt and great grandmother named Teresa.
If you are interested, there are great photos of Bertone on panoramio:
http://www.panoramio.com/photo/4549505

Holly
S-mac

Post by S-mac »

I think her father or brother was Luigi Molinelli but I will have to check that out for sure. Very few facts actually altho she did come from the Ottone/Bertone area and married Dino Fregi. She followed Dino to the United states around 1906 or so and mostly lived in the Mendocino County area after San Francisco and finally ended up in Oakland.