Is this translation accurate?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
RichVenezia

Is this translation accurate?

Post by RichVenezia »

Hey folks,

Am looking to make sure this translation is an accurate one before I send it off to Italy. I am looking for my great-grandfather's birth certificate. He was born in Atripalda on February 14 or 15, 1887, to Assunta Giella and Sabino Venezia. The certificate will require an apostille seal. I am requesting two copies.

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo Richard Venezia, ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto. Cerco informazioni sul mio bisnonno, Raffaele Venezia. Nato nel comune di Atripalda. Cerco questi dati per ottenere la cittadinanza Italiana. Per quello scopo, il Consolato d’Italia a Newark mi ha chiesto di fornire questo document.

Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi un estratto per riassunto dell'atto di nascita di Raffaele Venezia, (copia integrale in carte legale). Era nato il 14 o 15 febbraio, 1887. I suoi genitori erano Sabino Venezia e Assunta Giella. Un apostille sarà richiesto. Se è possibile, apprezzerei due copie.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificati.

Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?

Grazie mille di cuore.

Distinti saluti,

Richard Venezia
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Is this translation accurate?

Post by PeterTimber »

why don't you compare it with form letters found at
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html =Peter=
~Peter~
RichVenezia

Post by RichVenezia »

Peter,

Thanks for the response. I actually used the translations on a few different websites, mainly the one most of you post regularly as a good one to use: http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

I added a few things, though, and I did take 4 years of Italian, but I just wanted to make sure it looks OK. The things I added were the request of 2 certificates, the request for the certificates to be on legal paper, and how Newark requests a copy of this document, among other smaller things.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I prefer the angelfire series for its completeness myself but each to their own. Did you ever study Italian in Italy or was this college minor? =Peter=
~Peter~
RichVenezia

Post by RichVenezia »

4 years of high school Italian in America. I was conversational when I graduated, but I've lost a bit of it.

The angelfire ones are great - like I said, I just had a few additions:]
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Presumably your well grounded in grammar so that whenever you go to Italy it will all come rushing back much to your surprise but I mean spending 6 months to a year. I recall when I was a student at Universityhof Perugia for a year I was heading into the Rome Termini RR station and unknowingly started thinking in Italian and when I resumed thinking in english I knew I had learned Italian and would never forget it. In Fact ( to the horror of some italians) I just started recently to write italian by directly translating American vernacular by passing the formal sequence, grammatically correct but not what they are used to hearing. Its clearly understood but unorthodox. =Peter=
~Peter~
RichVenezia

Post by RichVenezia »

Bravo, mi amico!