Genovese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
STBFamily

Genovese

Post by STBFamily »

I am interested in finding my Great Great grandfather and his father.
My GG grandfather was Diego/Dago Genovese bc1843 in Messina his father was Pasquale Genovese

I have census records of Dago Genovese in England and he married Jane White but I have nothing else Can any one please help to point me inthe right direction to find out more.

Look forward to hearing from you

STB
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Genovese

Post by PeterTimber »

he continually fresided in W Derby Lancashifre from 1891 to `1911. You can possibly wish to go thru www.findmypast.com which is a paying site for more information. I take it your seeking his background in Italy??? Please advise. =Peter=
~Peter~
Veronesi-Guardini
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Veronesi-Guardini »

Hi STB

I have found that (Diego) died in 1912 aged 69, which puts his birth at around 1843 as you said. His wife died 3 years earlier aged 61

As for Pasquale, I have a possible record. It is of a Pasquale Gevonese marrying a Francesca Bricandi in 1822 in Barcellona Pozzo di Gotto, Sicily. It gives a birth date of 1797 for him and 1801 for her.

Does this look possible?
STBFamily

Post by STBFamily »

I have set up a tree on Ancestry which I have most of the information within in England I can find which I have found on other websites that just ancestry. But the part is that is missing is that he married Jane in 1869 but there are no census record until 1891. I know that he was a mariner and therefore he maynot have been in the country but Jane may still have been here with family but again she seems to disappear. Also they had children born between marriage & 1891 but again they are not around. I suppose they could have lived on a boat? Also I have no reord of Dago/Diego entering the country as yet. From the census he was not naturalized.
His father Pasquale is stated as being a carpenter on the marriage cert. The marriage that you found of Pasquale I suppose could be possible I think I am trying to find Diego Birth or baptism connecting him to Pasquale to place him?

Thank you for your input look forward to hearing more
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are 15 PASQUALE GENOVESE listed in the www.familysearch.org website under ancestor search (one of them is listed above) which you might wish to review. The paying website www.findmypast.com can be coaxed for identifiers free of charge as well as www.worldvitalrecords.com

=Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Jane genovese was born 1846 as per 1891 and later census and Diego Geneovese confirmed death March 1912 at age 69 www.freeBMD.org.uk

=Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear STB are you certain he was born in Messina or the province of Messina in Sicily? =Peter=
~Peter~
STBFamily

Post by STBFamily »

There's my ignorance I did not realise that there was a province as well as a city?

Thank you Peter for the info re BMD's I found those as well so it good that someone else is re affirming it!

Jane White I know about it is the Italian details I am missing.
Thanks for the web sites I wiil now see what I can find there.
Look forward to hearing from you soon
and any one else who can help

Thanks
STB
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

But but but where did you get the Messina info? =Peter=
~Peter~
STBFamily

Post by STBFamily »

Oh sorry Peter that is stated on the 1891 England census
entry 59 Court 6 House 9 Great Homer Street Liverpool
Dago Genovese Head Male 49 abt 1842 Cicley Mesena Italy
Jane Genovese Wife Female 45 abt 1846 Liverpool
James C Genovese Son Male 17 abt 1874 Liverpool
Nicola Genovese Son Male 15 abt 1876 Liverpool
Mary E Genovese Daughter Female 9 abt 1882 Liverpool
Maggie J Genovese Daughter Female 6 abt 1885 Liverpool
Daniel Genovese Son Male 3 abt 1888 Liverpool

Obviously spelling was an issue!
Nicola or (Nicholas) was my great grandfather

Hope this helps
STB
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There are about 500 Geneovese surnamed persons in Messina and Messina province but oddly enough none are first named DIEGO. it fyou go to www.paginebianche.it and put in GENOVESE DIEGO on the left side and SICILIA on the right there are three listings. One is a pharmacy connected no doubt to the Dr. Diego Geneovese and another Diego Genovese and all two persons are listed as being in Palermo, Sicily. However first names in Italian families tend to stay and we are talking about two, possibly three generations so I would get off two potential relative letters to them and ask if they are related to your Diego Genovese. and put in census data showing MESSINA Sicily as place of birth. If there is a connection they will know since the roots of the surname are in Messina. www.gens.labo.net/en/cognomi and put in genovese and clikck arrow...Messina is top right hand corner of sicily map.

Go to www.initaly.com/gene/mem/letter1.htm =Peter=
~Peter~