salvatore basilone related to john basilone famous war hero

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

salvatore basilone related to john basilone famous war hero

Post by debbie365 »

my mother was told as a child . from her father salvatore basilone that he had a famous cousin johnny basilone a war hero kissed by a starlet those were my grand fathers words.as the movie the pacific came about i started my research. i havent been able to connect the family from benevento to mine. my grand father salvatore basilone born 1903 ururi. his parents pasquale basilone born 1874 ururi. maria antonia calascione his mom born 1866 i think in wena? or aurora? ururi? each record shows her birth a different location.. also i was just told by my aunt that salvatore basilone was born in brazil. i am usure if i can get a birth record in italy for him. my mom has his naturalization papers which read born ururi. i do know my aunt said salvatore was named after john,s father. who was also named salvatore. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks so much debbie :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: salvatore basilone related to john basilone famous war h

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

More:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Basilone
Basilone was born in his home on November 4, 1916 in Buffalo, New York, the sixth of ten children. His father, Salvatore Basilone, emigrated from the Naples region of Italy in 1903 and settled in Raritan, New Jersey. His mother, Dora Bengivenga, was born in 1889 and grew up in Manville but her parents, Carlo and Catrina, also came from Naples. His parents met at a church gathering and married three years later. Basilone grew up in the nearby Boro of Raritan where he attended St. Bernard Parochial School. After completing middle school at the age of fifteen, he dropped out prior to attending high school.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

no i have never seen that .his name was john basilone from raritan new jersey . did you see the hbo mini series the pacific? there is a united states stamp with his picture and 3 other distinguished marines. i believe came out 2006. there was a ship named after him also there is a road near camp pendelton named after him. and a few great books . now i will be thinking who is this giovanni basilone? thanks debbie:) if you google john basilone ww2 it will pull up alot of info. he was killed on iwojima 1945?
surnames,Basilone, Calascione,Campofredano, Deluca, Occhionero, Glave, Intrevado, Angelozzi Peta, Frate
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

actually i think the picture is him i remember but the name is wrong unless they used his middle name
surnames,Basilone, Calascione,Campofredano, Deluca, Occhionero, Glave, Intrevado, Angelozzi Peta, Frate
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

debbie365 wrote:actually i think the picture is him i remember but the name is wrong unless they used his middle name
There was probably a natural inclination to assume that his "real" name was the Italian version of John = Giovanni. Indeed, until we see his birth certificate, we cannot know for certain which is his true name and which is the nickname.

Did you see my second post with the link to the Wikipedia article?
Carmine

debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

yes i have read all there is to read about him .i even sent his niece diane hawkins a email to help me she did respond and is still researching. johns father died in raritan new jersey i believe 1965. should i try to get a death record for john,s dad salvatore basilone?
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Was your grandfather born in the US or in Italy? Ideally, you want to get a "long form" copy of his birth certificate showing his parent's full names and places of birth.

Next, somehow, would be to get a copy of John Basilone's father's birth certificate.

Now, compare and look for ways to tie them together.
Carmine

debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

my grand father salvatore basilone was born 1903 ururi campobasso. came here 1919 with his mother and sister then to canada and here where i live in massachusettes. his parents names were pasquale basilone born 1874 ururi campobasso died in boston mass 1918. i have his death record.salvatore,s mother was maria antonia calascione born abt.1866 ururi campobasso. died montreal 1935. my grand father salvatore basilone died in massachusettes 1974.i was 10 years old.
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

i know john basilone father died in 1967 in new jersey i wonder if his death record would show his parents names . my great grand fathers does it just doesnt list the town they were from only says italy>:)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Not too long ago I had contact via this forum with John Basilone's Aunt in Texas. She made an inquiry and used the basilone surname which prompted me to ask her about her relationship with John Basilone and thats when she told me she was his aunt.

Maybe you or someone here can dig up the inquiry which may assist your researches. =Peter=
~Peter~
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

debbie365 wrote:i know john basilone father died in 1967 in new jersey i wonder if his death record would show his parents names . my great grand fathers does it just doesnt list the town they were from only says italy>:)
There are two reasons why birth records are more helpful than death records:

1) The parent's names on a death record were given to the person creating the record by a grieving next-of-kin (often a spouse or eldest child). These names are often incorrect in both minor and major ways. Birth certificates, on the other hand, suffer neither of these problems.

2) Also, as you noted, the place of birth on an immigrant's US death certificate is usually given simply as "Italy." Full copies of Italian birth acts contain a great deal more information on the parent's.

You can try comparing death certificates, but you really need to work on getting birth certifcates instead. Your grandfather's won't be too difficult but you may have a tougher time getting John Basilone's father's.

For your grandfather, write to:

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Ururi
Piazza Municipio, 50
86049 Uriri CB
ITALY

Email: anagrafe@comune.ururi.cb.it (remove the spaces)
Website: http://www.comune.ururi.cb.it/hh/index. ... cc=1&jvs=1

Use one of these tools to create a letter in Italian requesting the documents:

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/resourc ... /index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=15162/
Carmine

debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

thank you :) i know there was alot of basilone,s from benevento who came over from italy to new york and new jersey. my basilone side seems to be the only one from ururi? it questions me on how they would be related? i will keep trying to uncover clues thanks a bunch :) debbie
debbie365
Rookie
Rookie

Post by debbie365 »

you are correct on the death record. it came from boston certified. also why do you think i will have a hard time getting johns fathers just because he is famous? curious. i know john has 1 brother still living. also his niece i have emailed her i should try again. maybe she would know. or help with names thanks again. then there is another problem my aunt told me she needed a copy of my grand fathers birth record this was 20 years ago. she went to our town hall in spfld mass they told her he was born in brazil. my aunt told the lady her dad was italian and she insisted hes brazilian. not sure what she was looking at oor what kind of form my grand father filled out. but i will still send one to ururi any way and see what happens. thanks again have a great day :) sincerely debbie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

debbie365 wrote: also why do you think i will have a hard time getting johns fathers just because he is famous? curious.
No, because you are not a direct descendant of him.

Italy's rules are different, but here in the US you would have a tough go trying to get the birth certificate of your own grandfather, let alone someone else's. :)
Carmine