Sicilian Ancestor Help

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Blakeb

Sicilian Ancestor Help

Post by Blakeb »

This may be a pipe dream but I have found a Sicilian ancestor from the 1500s and I could use some help finding out information on him. His name was Dominic Buschier (though i have seen various spellings) from Menfi. He was born in 1521. I believe he was a merchant, but that is not a definite. At some point he moved to Rouen and married Genevieve Clerke. The two of them found their way to London where he died in 1596 and she died in 1620. I have tried familysearch and ancestry.com but I think I am to the point I would have to get info straight from Sicily but I dont know Italian or who to contact. Any help would be appreciated.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Sicilian Ancestor Help

Post by PeterTimber »

dear Blake your going to research first 25 and then 43 BUSCHIER surnamed persons in the 1500's in Italy (Sicily mostly) at www.familysearch.org under ancestor search. Just put in the surname BUSCHIER and nothing else and click search. When the listings come up click at the bottom for Italy for the remaining 43 . Happy researching. =Peter=
~Peter~
Blakeb

Post by Blakeb »

Peter, Thanks. I had tried familysearch before and didn't find anything other than his wife, which I already knew. I went back again, after your suggestion, to make sure I didnt miss anything. I was just curious if there was a way to find anything else before he was married.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

did you find what I described to you...you didn't say? =Peter=
~Peter~
Blakeb

Post by Blakeb »

Yes, I have been to familysearch several times and looked at every entry.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Now we are at the threshhold of 15th century research (went thru that exciting period myself) which will require an intense effort on your part. Perhaps heraldry sites may ferret out some Menfi connections and history

in 1559 thru 1713 Spain ruled most of Italy so this might have provided the impetus for your ancestor to journey North. Just a thought. =Peter=
~Peter~
jcwilsonjackson

Post by jcwilsonjackson »

Hello,

My name is James Wilson. I recently discovered, I am a descendant of the same Dominic Buschier. I know this is an older message thread, however, I was wondering if anyone had actually found more evidence of Dominic's Sicilian origins?

We are farely sure now that he was actually born in Italy as stated in his wife's will. However, I have not seen a stated region or town of origin.

Also, I have seen many online trees that state his surname was originally Buscemi, before he moved to France. The name Buscemi is relatively common in the town of Menfi. However, I also noticed Buschier has an even more striking resemblance to Boschiero/Boschiera, a surname relatively common in Northwest Italy near the French border. I do realize, Buscemi (Italian) is closer in pronunciation to Buschier (French). However, in regards to spelling it is very close to Boschiero.

Any help, that anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.

James
Marsha

Post by Marsha »

Hi Cousin James,
I have also just come to this same wall on my family tree. Have you found anything useful yet?

Kindest Regards,
Marsha
srf058

Post by srf058 »

I know this is an old topic but I just stumbled on it while doing some research. I found two "findagrave" entries which I've copied below. Would love to know if this Dominic is the son of the couple mentioned here:

https://www.1820settlers.com/documents/ ... am232.html

Dominic Buschier
BIRTH 1521
Agrigento, Provincia di Agrigento, Sicilia, Italy
DEATH 8 Dec 1596 (aged 74-75)
St Keverne, Cornwall Unitary Authority, Cornwall, England
BURIAL Unknown
MEMORIAL ID 173301826 ·
Parents John (Buscemi) Buschier and Elizabeth Hungerford

Family Members
Spouse
Genevieve Jane Clerke Buschier
1550-1620

Children
Mary Buschier Basse
1568-1616

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/173301826
===========================================
Dominic Buschier
Birth 1521
Italy
Death Feb 1594 (aged 72-73)
Coleman Street, City of London, Greater London, England
Burial
St Katherine Coleman Church
London, City of London, Greater London, England
Memorial ID 178507589 ·

Dominic was son of John Buscemi & Elizabeth Hungerford. The spelling of Dominic's last name was changed from Buscemi after he moved to France.

He married Genevieve Jane Clark (b. 1550) in France. They had issue.

His widow, Genevieve, remarried twice after Dominic died.
Gravesite Details London records from 1594 state this is his burial location. In 1926, the church was demolished and graveyard cleared. According to wikipedia, the bodies were reinhumed at City of London Cemetery.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/178 ... c-buschier
===============================================
breconova@gmail.com

Post by breconova@gmail.com »

Hello, I too have this common ancestor in my tree. I have researched as far as I can and it seems as though you all have found more than I have. I found that both Dominco and his father were born in Menfi (per grave info). I'm just wondering if anyone could school me on some history that would help understand why he left to France. Those of you who are also related to him it's nice to meet you all!