GFF - GF - F - QUALIFICATION QUESTION

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

GFF - GF - F - QUALIFICATION QUESTION

Post by ncaprio »

Okay... now the rest of my family is jumping on board... they love to watch me do all the work... what can i say ... I'm Type A!

So my cousin asked me this question... (Like I am the expert) and I, In turn, throw it to you...

Our Great Grandfather was born in Italy... as was MY grandfather... my cousin's grandfather... (my great Uncle was born here) and was 2 when my great grandfather became a citizen. Will My Cousin Qualify?

GGF - BORN ITALY - NATURALIZED in 1909.
GF - BORN USA - 1907

DId the Citizen pass from my GGF to TO his US born SON?

y'all are smarter than me so help!!

Nicholas (Yes we are all named Nicholas... on BOTH SIDES OF MY FAMILY!!!)

:lol:
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: GFF - GF - F - QUALIFICATION QUESTION

Post by suanj »

if:
GGF - BORN ITALY - NATURALIZED in 1909
naturalized with child
GF - BORN USA - 1907
the child lost italian citizenship

if:
GGF - BORN ITALY - NATURALIZED in 1909
naturalized alone, the GF - BORN USA - 1907 no lost italian citizenship, because him father was italian citizen at birth of child born in 1907
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Which consulate again?

If New York or San Francisso, then there is a big problem.

Both of these consulates interpret Italian law as saying that any naturalization which occurred prior to June 12 (or July 1), 1912, automatically causes the loss of citizenship of the applicant plus all of his minor children regardless of whether they were born in Italy or the US.

See this recent thread: http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... =1912.html

So far as I know, New York and San Francisco are the only US consulates known to enforce this rule at this time. From this document, San Francisco site, http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/N ... ZIONI1.doc ( http://www.conssanfrancisco.esteri.it/C ... tadinanza/ )
ANCESTORS NATURALIZED BEFORE JUNE 14, 1912 CANNOT TRANSMIT CITIZENSHIP (EVEN TO CHILDREN BORN BEFORE THEIR NATURALIZATION)
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
ncaprio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ncaprio »

How can I tell if he was "naturalized with child"?

Also I am going to the Los Angeles Consulate.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

ncaprio wrote:How can I tell if he was "naturalized with child"?

Also I am going to the Los Angeles Consulate.
I think Raffaella (suanj) means if the child is listed on the father's Petition for Naturalization.

Here is my understanding:

For New York and San Francisco, it doesn't matter who is listed or not listed. If a child was a minor at the time his father naturalized - regardless of where the child was born - than the child lost all rights to Italian citizenship and the line is broken.

For all other consulates, if the child was born in Italy, then he/she lost his Italian citizenship when his/her father became a US citizen. If the child was born in the US, then he/she retained his Italian citizenship when his/her father became a US citizen.

Note to readers not following the thread: we are talking here specifically about persons who became naturalized US citizens prior to June 14/July 1, 1912 and how that relates to rules enforced by San Francisco/New York consulates.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)