dual citizenship and taxation

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jdee

dual citizenship and taxation

Post by jdee »

hi all-
i am new to this site. my mother and i have gathered all of our documents, apostilles, etc. and qualify for dual citizenship. however, one important question that i have before we move forward is about taxation. currently neither of us plans to work or live in italy (she is actually retired) and we both live permanently in the US.

are there italian tax implications for income earned in the US after dual citizenship is established ? what taxes will we be required to pay in italy ?

would appreciate any perspectives as i haven't been able to find a lot of info on this.

thanks !!
jdee
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: dual citizenship and taxation

Post by ptimber »

I shudder when i think that you would depend upon what someone says to you about your tax inquiry as it relates to dual citizenship and even if they offer you advice any person in their right mind would consult with a tax professional afterward to confirm what is said to you so why bother to ask?? Peter
jdee

Post by jdee »

lol, peter - thanks for the response...i guess. i understand the importance of consultation with an attorney, because i am an attorney. so, that's a 'no-brainer'.

frankly, i'm seeking any specific experiences to add to my understanding of the letter of the tax law. if you have any helpful insight on that front, i'd be interested in hearing (obviously part of the purpose of this site is to share). otherwise, i'm not really interested in what makes you shudder.

jdee
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I suppose I could have replaced the word "shudder" with "eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines" and conveyed the sense of positive paranoia when seeking advice from a professionless peer. The advice I furnished,save for the name of a USA based italy oriented law law firm of great repute, is the best I can offer. I am ever mindful of the fact that 99% of the lawyers give the rest a bad name so I can safely say they are in the 1% category. Happy Jurisprudence 2005 to you. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

P.S. I am an anglophile. HAPPY nEW YEAR luv!!!!!! pETER
acamma
Rookie
Rookie

Post by acamma »

I don't know where this answer came from (I hope not here and I am just asking a question that someone previously asked ) but here is a recent discussion I got into.

How do you qualify for Italian Citizenship for one born in the US.

Somehow I heard it was based on when your ancestors either left Italy or became naturalized US citizens.

My current belief from something I heard (dangerous) was that since my paternal grandmother was born in the US and was a citizen of the US thus at birth I can not claim or request citizenship through that line of my father's Italian roots.

My grandfather was born in Sicily (1894) and came to US with his family but became a citizen of US before he was married and thus before my father was born thus I can not claim or request citizenship that way either.

Using bloodlines as potential citizenship requests is thus based on when US citizenship was obtained by your ancestors and when they had children. For the legal authorities or Italians on this site please tell me if this American also has no idea what he is talking about when he discusses European law or culture. Thanks for the answer to a family debate point at this time.
Anthony Philip Camma
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Since Italian citizenship is an Italian law and subject to interpretation based upon rules,regulations, policy and procedures, it would be sensible and correct to refer you to www.italianlaw.net for a response to your inquiry. A legal response to a legal question islikely to be faulted with misinformation which is something you wish to avoid at all costs since one an application is denied there is a long waiting time for resubmitting an application with corrections. Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

P.S. the lawfirm has offices in Italy and the USA fyi. Peter
Jamey

Post by Jamey »

acamma wrote:
How do you qualify for Italian Citizenship for one born in the US.
Hi, I found a site not long ago that had some information on this subject and answered some of my questions about duel citizenship. I hope it helps. http://www.italiandualcitizenship.com/
Blessings,
Jamey
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

They employ attorneys too. Peter
d8kat

Post by d8kat »

Hi, does anyone have links for becoming an Italian Citizen by right of Juris Sanguinis in Canada? I've looked at the U.S. sites, but I'm a Canadian...Thank
Parents of teens understand why some animals eat their young.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

You would need to contact the Italian Consulate in your area:

http://www.dfait-maeci.gc.ca/canadaeuro ... 4-7-en.asp

http://www.toronto.italconsulate.org/

use the above sites to locate your area........

wldspirit
d8kat

Post by d8kat »

Thank you for the links wldspirit, they are exactly what I was looking for.
Parents of teens understand why some animals eat their young.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Glad to have helped....... :wink:

wldspirit